Can I trust the App Store requirements?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Essian, May 2, 2012.

1. Essian macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so I was browsing the Mac Store games page, and I was really surprised to see some of the awesome titles on there! Titles I thought that were PC only (like Bioshock 1+2, Rage, and other AAA games), seem to be available through the App store on my Macbook Pro!

However: I was looking at the pages for some of these games, and the system requirements seemed a little... off. For instance, the Rage system requirements said tat the game required only 256VRAM to run the game. Yeah... okay, buddy.

So, can I really trust the minimum system requirements numbers? Also, do you find these games to run well and be well optimized for the Mac? It would be awesome if these were solid Mac ports, especially with games like Doom 3 on there!!!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. Essian thread starter macrumors newbie

considering the graphical prowess of that game, I just find it SO hard to believe...

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

These are the minimum requirements, not the recommended ones. That is just the bare minimum to get it to run on low settings.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then don't believe it and don't buy it. System requirements are always a grey area - some game companies continuously list requirements that are completely unrealistic if you want a semi-enjoyable gaming experience.

6. Essian thread starter macrumors newbie

good point, and for games like RAGE it's easy to call them out on, but games like Bioshock, Call of Duty 4 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, it can be harder to tell if they are blurring the lines or if it really is realistic

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What do you really want? Do you just want to have a moan? Or do you have a computer that just meets or is below the minimum specification?

Minimum specification means the game will work and you should get your money back if it doesn't. Below that means it's your fault for buying it. Obviously better graphics hardware will improve the graphics of the game.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The specs are the bare minimum required to run the app. When it comes to games this means low resolution, no AA and leads to a less than satisfactory experience. It's not just the Mac App store, Windows devs have been doing this for years. Yes, the application will run....Like glue in some cases but it will run.

Personally, I'd stay away from anything that only just meets your system specification.

9. Essian thread starter macrumors newbie

true...