Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fxtrt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
Now in easy to read format!
I want to:
  • remove jailbreak permanently
  • keep all app save data, contacts, media etc
  • remove as much jailbreak files and folders as possible
My solution: Remove as many Cydia packages as possible and then itunes restore from backup.
My Question: Would it be safe to manually uninstall ALL (including "expert" mode) packages through cydia?

I got 1 answer so far: Might crash my phone
Are there any other answers/opinions to the bolded question?
Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your time

Last edited:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
restoring as new is the best way other wise some residual jb programs might reside. Of course this info is covered by the stickies up top.. ;)

fxtrt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
Ok, so setup as new would be the best way but I would like to avoid that.
Would manually uninstalling ALL (including "expert" mode) packages through cydia and then restore from backup with itunes be the next best option? and would it be safe?
Thanks for all the replies!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
you can restore as new and still keep all contacts. data, photos, music etc restoring as new is always recommended to unjailbreak. you asked we told you however you are free to do what ever you like.

fxtrt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
you can restore as new and still keep all contacts. data, photos, music etc

Wouldn't I need to jailbreak again after the restore to do this?
Or do you mean to set up as new, and later restore from backup?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Wouldn't I need to jailbreak again after the restore to do this?
Or do you mean to set up as new, and later restore from backup?

I no longer have any idea what you are trying to do! if you are trying to remove the jailbreak permanently restore as new. if you want to rejailbreak restore as new then rejailbreak. not even sure if I answered you.

fxtrt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
I no longer have any idea what you are trying to do! if you are trying to remove the jailbreak permanently restore as new. if you want to rejailbreak restore as new then rejailbreak. not even sure if I answered you.

I want to:
  • remove jailbreak permanently
  • keep all app data, contacts, media etc
  • remove as much jailbreak files and folders as possible

The following seems like my answer but I dont know how to go about accomplishing it. How do I setup as new and keep all data

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
1. Attach your iPhone to iTunes.
2. Right click on your phone and select Backup.
3. In the right pane, click on Restore to factory settings.
4. Restore from the backup taken in Step 1.

fxtrt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
:D

hahaha you lasted longer than me

its a 4 step tutorial, how the heck do you manage to jailbreak and now you can't hit restore

ok ok, I know how to do a normal restore. Ive read the countless amounts of tutorials online.
My main concern was getting rid of as much jailbreak folders and files while keeping all my Apple app data and contacts etc.
From what Ive read, restoring from backup will still leave residual traces of the JB. Restoring as a new device will remove all traces of JB but will also erase all data. But labman posted:
I would like to know how to set up as new device AND keep all my data.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
ok ok, I know how to do a normal restore. Ive read the countless amounts of tutorials online.
My main concern was getting rid of as much jailbreak folders and files while keeping all my app data and contacts etc.
From what Ive read, restoring from backup will still leave residual traces of the JB. Restoring as a new device will remove all traces of JB but will also erase all data. But labman posted:

restore from a backup to you the jailbreak will be gone only apple would see the remaining traces if you brought it in like that

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
My main concern was getting rid of as much jailbreak folders and files while keeping all my app data and contacts etc.

In the situation your in, it is difficult to get what you want. As far as I know, it is either restoring new and adding all your data again through iTunes (you lose in game progress, Phone Numbers [unless you export them through Address Book on a Mac/Writing it down])

OR

you could manually remove all custom apps and customizations via Cydia and remove Cydia itself via removing the "Cydia Installer" and having your jailbreak technically gone. The only thing left should be the features given through official firmware after removing Cydia. However, I cannot guarantee 100% that all sources of jailbreaks are fully removed. I just know that on a looking level, it should look like you never jailbroke your iDevice.

fxtrt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
restore from a backup to you the jailbreak will be gone only apple would see the remaining traces if you brought it in like that

Ive restored from a jailbroken backup a while ago and could not get MMS working. This is why I want to get rid of as much JB data before I upgrade to iOS5. Not because of Apple store

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Ive restored from a jailbroken backup a while ago and could not get MMS working. This is why I want to get rid of as much JB data before I upgrade to iOS5. Not because of Apple store

than restore as new device, but you will lose your sms, notes, and maybe some other things but you can add everything back over like you just bought the phone like your contacts, music, videos etc

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011

I've restored from a backup taken while jailbroken, no problem.

fxtrt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
In the situation your in, it is difficult to get what you want. As far as I know, it is either restoring new and adding all your data again through iTunes (you lose in game progress, Phone Numbers
THANK YOU! This is exactlly what I thought when I was reading all the other replies and is what I want to avoid
OR
you could manually remove all custom apps and customizations via Cydia
So back to my original question, would it be safe to manually uninstall ALL (including "expert" mode) packages through cydia?

Thank you for all your replies :)

Last edited:

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
THANK YOU! This is exactlly what I thought when I was reading all the other replies and is what I want to avoid

So back to my original question, would it be safe to manually uninstall ALL (including "expert" mode) packages through cydia?

Thank you for all your replies :)

Did your mom tells you that you are special?

OMFG. People told you to restore your iphone as new to completely wipe out JB. Then you come back saying "Wouldn't I need to jailbreak again after the restore to do this?
Or do you mean to set up as new, and later restore from backup?"

WHY THE ******* DO YOU NEED TO JB WHEN YOU WANT TO UNJB?!?

SO PLUG YOUR IPHONE TO YOUR COMPUTER AND RESTORE AS NEW IPHONE THEN PUT ALL THE CONTACTS,ETC BACK TO YOUR IPHONE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.