Can I use Apple Pay without locking my screen yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Nov 18, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Just wondering if there is any update on the way this works or not, but I really want to use Apple Pay but I do not want to use a passcode or touch id to unlock my phone.

2. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

3. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I think Apple Pay looks pretty cool to use.

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I'm guessing bunnicula was asking why you don't want to use Touch ID or a passcode to unlocking your iPhone.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, a passcode is required to entangle your information and fingerprint.

6. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I don't want any delays.

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Have you tried out Touch ID on your 6 for a while? It's really fast on my 6. Do you realize that you can just wakeup your iPhone with the home button and just leave you finger on it for another second (or less) and you're in?

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

This, exactly.

It's absolutely faster than the traditional swipe to unlock. This is my first device with Touch ID, and I'll admit I'm pretty impressed at how quick and accurate it is. I'm one who usually didn't use a password before because it was a nuisance. Now it's incredibly easy.

9. RByers8252 macrumors regular

I never unlock my phone with anything besides Touch ID. It feels like a huge bother when I restart the phone and have to slide to unlock with a code.

10. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes but every time I get a text from the lock screen I can't just slide to respond I always have to enter something, it's really annoying/inconvenient on top of the fact I don't want my phone locked from others.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yup, at first I never use Touch ID with my iPhone 5S because it is gimmick until last month I decided to give it a try...WOW that is very fast then traditional swipe to unlock! Touch ID is cool! :apple:

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I use quick reply from the lock screen all the time, it doesn't require you to unlock the phone.

13. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Yep. Settings > Touch ID and Passcode > Reply with Message. Then, when you have a message on the lock screen just swipe left on it and tap Reply.

14. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Seriously? I love touch ID and used it since day 1.

15. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

That's what quick reply is for.

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

And you don't mind if a thief has no delays accessing all of your credit cards to make purchases?

Touch ID is super fast. I value my info more than replying to a text faster than the time it takes to touch my home button.

----------

Why would you want it unlocked with credit cards accessible for use? That's just...unusual.

17. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quick reply?

The way I had it setup I had to enter something to just respond to a text. No thanks, besides I don't want to lock my phone.

----------

I'm not going to ruin my experience because of some possibility of a thief. The thief has my phone, the info on my phone is the least of my worries.

My point was meaning I could use Apple Pay and have to use touchid for THAT but not for unlock.

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You don't get to use Apple Pay in its current form. /end of thread

19. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The point is I still don't want my phone locked out of access for other people too. If someone finds my phone if I theoretically lose it, I'd PREFER them to access my phonebook and call someone I know to tell them they found my phone. Honest people do exist, I've found phones and done the exact same thing.

20. woodynorman macrumors 6502

Give up man. It ain't gonna happen. Either use your fingerprint, or don't use ApplePay. Done.

Do you think any of us are gonna make it happen? I don't think so. Complain to Apple if you don't like it.

Apple will not give up the security.

21. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

But that's what Find My iPhone's Lost Mode is for. You can put a "If found call XXX" message on the lock screen. Also, if you have your Medical ID set to show up on the emergency pane of the lock screen, someone could call one of your emergency contacts.

22. bunnicula, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Touching the home button for a second ruins the experience?

Call me security-obsessed, but I'm more concerned about the info contained on my phone than the device itself. The device is very easily replaced.

23. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

This thread is giving me a strong sense of deja vu. OP, did you start another thread with this exact subject? Your arguments for keeping your phone unlocked seem very familiar to me.

24. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Here is OP's other, identical thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1810095

25. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, and?
    Why is this you, some random anonymous user on the internet, care about?

There's a reason why I put "yet" at the end of the topic title.