Can I use C++ With Cocoa

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Techguy172, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I would like to know if its possible to C++ to code an application using the Cocoa Programming or do i have to use C

Thanks

2. coastertux macrumors regular

I believe you need to use Objective-C...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

4. dethl macrumors regular

A few years ago I wrote a hybrid Obj-C/C++ application. It was a port of a final project I did one of my early CS classes. I used Obj-C to handle GUI events and kept the C++ basically the same. The big problem with Obj-C that I ran into was that file i/o cannot handle C++ strings. I had to go on a character by character basis (I could have used character arrays but this was faster).

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    It depends on what type of strings you used. CFString (a C++ Carbon class) is toll free bridged to NSString (a cocoa Obj-C class) and you can use the two interchangeably.

I have code that does just that.

6. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I have a project that has CPP files and Cocoa in it. I don't remember what you have to do to get it to work besides rename the Cocoa files with a *.mm instead of *.m.

7. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok so basicaly im stuck with objective C, This leaves me a problem I want to build an application that works universaly with all operating systems but it looks like im going to have to rewrite it if i want to. Is this true

8. psingh01 macrumors 65816

yes, you can use java for that.

9. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You could easily convert the std::strings to NSStrings and use the Cocoa output. Or, convert the NSSTrings to std::strings and use the standard C++ output.

10. tohihaho macrumors newbie

How about using cpp files in already built cocoa application ... can I use both languages - objective c and c++ in one project ?

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Check out this old thread, which discusses C++ and Cocoa.

12. Nutter macrumors 6502

Sorry to be pedantic, Mongo, but I'm going to be anyway. CFString is neither C++ nor Carbon!

13. coren2000 macrumors member

Qt

Maybe QT will be more to your liking.

14. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

It's probably a good idea to keep the UI separate from the actual application (if you're developing an application for Apple's "48-bit" Operating System Tiger, then that's the only option anyway).
    Keep the actual application in a separate process, and exchange data with the UI process using IPC, shared memory, or something similar.

(see http://developer.apple.com/macosx/64bit.html, "Adding a GUI to a 64-bit Application")

15. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

There are easier ways to keep a clean OM/UI separation without having to run two processes.

If you have a clean library with externally-linkable C functions, you can use that for the object model, and then just wrap Obj-C around it/etc... C++ gets trickier, but can be done as well. Link this platform-neutral library statically (or even dynamically) with the UI host and you don't get the overhead of IPC.

16. billtubbs, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

billtubbs macrumors newbie

Adding C++ to a Cocoa app in XCode

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but many of the answers to the original question talk about building apps using Objective-C++ so that you can include C++ routines while also using the Cocoa framework for the GUI. But how do you create an Objective-C++ app with XCode? I'm using XCode 4.4.1 with OS X 10.7.4. I can see how to create a new C++ command line tool but I can't see a Cocoa application template that uses Objective-C++.

I realise this thread is getting old. Am I missing something or what has changed with XCode?

17. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Not sure what you want to do, but you can use a C++ file with a regular Objective-C project. Add the C++ file to the project then change the extension to .mm and that should be it.

If you're wanting something else let me know.

18. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

The IDE uses the files extension to determine which compiler (settings).

C '.c'
    C++ '.cpp'
    ObjC '.m'
    ObjC++ '.mm'

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Sorry to be pedantic, but CFString is Carbon; you can use it in C, C++, Objective-C and Objective-C++, but it is really deprecated.

You can just mix std::string and NSString*, and add a category written in Objective-C++ with two methods

Code:
    - (std::string) asStdString;
    + (NSString*) stringWithStdString:(const std::string&) stdString;
    And there is no such thing as an Objective-C++ project. Just create a Cocoa project, then add files with suffix .c (C), .m (Objective-C), .cpp (C++) or .mm (Objective-C++) as you feel fit. Source files that use both C++ objects and Objective-C objects just end in .mm.

20. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Use something called Qt. It's for C++ and very capable. You can find it at http://qt.nokia.com/

----------

I'm sorry bu guys, we're knocking on a thread from 2007!

21. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

CFString is part of Core Foundation (hence the CF) and it most certainly is not deprecated.