Can I use macbook as stereo output?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zacl87, Sep 20, 2009.

1. zacl87 macrumors member

I have to link my external mixer to a set of speakers. Rather than buying stereo speakers, can I just get an RCA cable to run from my mixer's output into the 3.5mm jack (next to headphones jack) on my computer?

Will the sound then rout from my mixer through into my computer's speakers?

cheers

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not by default, but you can do so with a free app called LineIn.

3. georgeryder9 macrumors newbie

Re

Yeah there are application which can be installed for your purpose, there are plenty of such application for downloads, just make a search.

4. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

5. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

LineIn is awesome. I use it to direct audio from my 360 to the Mac so that I can use the volume control buttons on the keyboard while I'm using the 360. Works extremely well and is very convenient.

6. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm. please excuse my ignorance..

So i've got line in, connected an rca cord from my master output on the mixer (white Left, red Right)...

what settings to I put in line in? I assumed it would have been my aggregate device as the 'input from' and the build in speakers as the 'output to'??

no dice. been trying to play around with it a bit and can't get any sound out of the computer speakers..

the best i've got was some bars in line in and crackling through my computer speakers..still no functionality of my mixer volume fader or crossfader controls

cheers

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The input should be line in and the output should be headphones.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The settings you have look right (built-in line-in, to Internal Speakers). Is the output from your mixer mic level or line? The Mac needs line level.

I use LineIn often, though to route USB audio in from Griffen iMic to Internal Speakers or USB speakers. I haven't used it from the Mac's Line-in, but it should work the same way.

9. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

yeh cheers i've got it going now. had something to do with the mixer can't remember what I changed.
    thanks all for your help.