Can I use someone else's upgrade at the Apple store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tnisatard, May 16, 2010.

1. tnisatard macrumors 6502

Just wanted to know if Apple knows how to do this because I can't do it on their website

my second line is eligible for an upgrade and I used mines on the 3Gs, so I was planning to use their line for the upcoming iPhone

but I was wondering if apple knows how to deal with that, or should I just go to AT&T instead of Apple on launch day

Ive been reading about pre orders, so I was wondering if that was possible with my plan as well

thanks in advance

2. cowsrus macrumors 6502

At launch day they have AT&T/Apple workers there to help you
    basically when you buy the phone, you get to go through all the contract stuff and swapping numbers for upgrades at apple, they know what to do for the situation

it's all squared away in one store to prevent people running back and forth between shops

3. saadiq7 macrumors newbie

I have before but you MIGHT have to be an authorized user on the account.

4. tnisatard thread starter macrumors 6502

i am the authorized user, so that shouldnt be a problem

so are you saying i should just upgrade my 2nd line and then go to the AT&T store and have them transfer the data plan over?

5. saadiq7 macrumors newbie

When I did it, I upgraded the line (non iphone) to the 3GS and then went home and put my own sim from my iphone 3G into the new 3GS and then put the sim from the new 3GS into a razr and called ATT and told them to take the data plan off the line i just upgraded. Sorry if this is a little confusing.

6. tnisatard thread starter macrumors 6502

not at all

i guess i will do this

i hope AT&T isnt going off the hook on that day

7. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

This is possible, I did the very thing when I got my 3G

8. OneHit89 macrumors member

I have a quick question that I dont really want to start my own thread with... how exactly does upgrading work on release day at an apple store? I have a 3g, and am due for an upgrade, but my iphone broke about 2 months ago, and have been using a back up phone with my sim in it. Am i going to need to bring my broken iphone for any reason (it doesnt turn on)? or do i only need my sim card?

Also what do they do about the micro sim thats in the new iphone, am i going to be able to keep my number (do they just update the phone from att? meaning the old sim card is not even needed?).

Final question.... does my name need to be on the contract, im on a family plan (am over 18 and plan on waiting out infront of the store by myself though)?

guess this was more then just a quick question... sorry, thanks for any answers though

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

you won't need to bring in your old phone. they have all your upgrade info in their computer already. you won't need your sim either.

you will get the new phone and they'll transfer your number to the new micro sim.

i don't have an answer for your contract question.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Seems I keep repeating myself.....you will have to be an authorized contact on the account. This does not mean that if your phone is on the account that you are authorized to make changes. There is an entirely separate process where the account holder calls in and adds you as an authorized contact. So say your dad is the account holder, he needs to call in and add you if he wants to give you power to make any change to the account such as an upgrade.

11. patrick92260 macrumors member

Geckotec, is this a new policy where you can upgrade at an Apple store being just an authorized person on the at&t account? I know in the past you had to be the actual account holder to upgrade at Apple because that was the only name that came up on their handheld pay system when they went to sell the phone...

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Honestly, I can't answer that. I may be incorrect re: doing this at the Apple store. I know it's at least the MINIMUM to be able to make any change to the account.

13. AppleFreak89 macrumors regular

Hey just make it simple. Upgrade your second line. go home, switch the sim cards. Call att and tell them to remove the data on the line you don't want it and your all done.

14. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

The new iphone uses a micro sim and the 3gs doesn't. So it won't be quite as easy as just switching sim cards.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You can get an adapter for micro-sim -> normal sim and you can cut a normal sim down to the size of a micro-sim.

But yeah, just easier if you get then to activate the phone on the line you want it on.

16. cowsrus macrumors 6502

ok well how about this scenario

if I am updating another line and then just switching lines, but I have a 3G and the line that is getting the upgrade has a 3GS, will all I have to do is get a microsim for my sim card?

Basically, if all the lines in play have iPhones already, will the data plans be the same and I don't even need to tell AT&T I'm switching the numbers?

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Correct.

18. cowsrus macrumors 6502

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Anybody get a new SIM from AT&T lately? I wouldn't be surprised if all they give out in the near future (if not already) is the hybrid SIM/Micro-SIM cards.

20. cowsrus macrumors 6502

I was thinking about going down next week or something and seeing if they would give me the hybrid version, because it will probably be hell trying to get that on launch day

21. dave006 Contributor

dave006

This has been an ongoing issue / discussion since the original iPhone release. Many FamilyPlan add-a-line users were very unhappy when they were turned away just before they got their hands on the iPhone.

Some Apple stores in the past have enforced the Primary Account Holder name requirement and sometimes they just used the "Don't Ask, Don't tell" (DADT) approach.

In the AT&T COR stores you just need to be listed as a retail authorized user on the account and show a picture id. If you are going with the DADT, make sure that you know the last 4 digits of the Account Holder's SSN.

You can add or check retail authorized user status in OLAM, here is Answer Center entry that explains the process and you can read about the current Apple Store policy requiring the Primary Account Holder to be present.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...yncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB90110&isSrch=Yes

Dave

22. patrick92260 macrumors member

Yeah that's what i thought. When I bought my 3G on launch day a genius actually called at&t to verify that I was authorized and then they sold me the phone. I wanted to go to Apple this year when the new iPhone comes out but I don't think it's worth the risk of being turned away so I'll probably just get it online.

23. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I am on my parents family plan at the moment and my stepmom is the main person on the account. When I got my iPhone 3G on launch day, she had to sign because she is the only one authorized on the account. Now, how do I become authorized on the account as well. I am over 18 and I don't want to have to have my stepmom be at AT&T at 8AM to sign for something I can do myself. Could anyone be so kind as to tell me how to go about doing this?

24. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Well, you could start by clicking on the link I provided above since it explains how to add you as a retail authorized user on your stepmom's account. :eek:

Here it is again: http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...yncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB90110&isSrch=Yes

Dave

25. svenhoops macrumors newbie

OK, so forgive me if I'm not following, but my wife's 3G is currently eligible for an upgrade and my 3GS isn't eligible until November. I want to buy a 4G and give her my 3GS so can I upgrade her 3G to the 4G and somehow switch SIM cards so I can use the 4G while she uses my old 3GS? I know that would mean altering my SIM to MicroSIM (which I'm confident I can do based on some research) and I'll need to alter the 4G Micro SIM to SIM but do you guys see any problems with doing this that I'm missing? Thanks!