Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
Hi there, im have been waiting for the new iMacs for a month or two now (I know not as long as some of you lot but yeah) and today it hit me, do I even need to wait for it?

So I am thinking, why not just buy a 2.66 ghz from the refurb store now instead of waiting for tommorow. Dual core 2.66 should be fine for me as i am on a single core 1.7 laptop now thats on its way out.

A quick question though, will it cope with playing games such as CoD4 and Spore as they are the only two games I want to play.

EDIT: Another quick question, how does the apple printer rebate work?

Thanks

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I can't tell you if you should wait but I'll tell you why I am. First of all I want to be able to play SOME games and I just want to be sure I can get plenty out of them which I will be once they switch to the Nvidia chips. Not only that I'd like the next computer and first Mac I buy last me a very very long time and I feel the next update will help me last longer.

Not only that I'm one of those people who thinks it sucks when I get something and really shortly after a much better one comes out.

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
Surely you would be able to games with it, the machine is not exactly weak :)

But yeah I see what your saying and they are essentially the same reasons as me, but the current gen will also last you..

Also, the rumours surrounding the new iMacs are also not saying that it will be that big of a speed boost

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
Ah thats good news, lol, why is it bad? It looks fun! Also, can you run it well on that model? Good FPS and resolution and stuff? What do you think of your 2.4? Do you find 20" small / big, what?

Would you reccomend I wait?

Thanks

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
as for the Apple Printer Rebate thing...I bought an iMac and printer from Apple store in October and it was the easiest rebate form I have had...type in the codes online and done. quick turnaround too.

no need to cut and mail in.

ritzuk

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2005
Ah thats good news, lol, why is it bad? It looks fun! Also, can you run it well on that model? Good FPS and resolution and stuff? What do you think of your 2.4? Do you find 20" small / big, what?

Would you reccomend I wait?

Thanks

I'm in the same position as you. The 2600 Pro is a poor graphics card, and the 2400XT is terrible. Neither of these cards will last you if you want to play even slightly better games, like say, Dawn of War 2, Empire: Total War or any of the other PC games that are on their way. Even older games won't run particularly well without lowering the resolution, and then the games look blurry.

Edit: Look at the FPS on COD4 in this YouTube clip. Sure, the machine hasn't been upgraded with RAM, and he is running the OS X version instead of Windows - but an Xbox 360 costs £169 and puts out far smoother visuals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coUraKZaPNA

I can't explain how awful those graphics cards are - they were a let down when they came out around a year ago - they definitely haven't got any better since then! The CPU and everything else is brilliant - the machines are nice and quiet, reliable - they just really lack 3D processing power.

It's a real shame Apple didn't just put in a more capable GPU the first time round. I'm sat here with money in the bank saved for a decent iMac, but unless you want to spoon out £1300 for the top of the range (and 24", which is lovely, but a bit on the large side), then you're stuck. Plus, the 24" native res is 1900+, which makes it even harder to throw around 3D games at native res.

In short, I'd wait - but it might be until April!

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
I also have an XBox 360 so most of my gaming would be done on that, I really only want to play Spore and perhaps other innovative games, as long as I can run it decently, I will be happy enough (as for the CoD4, I dont think it was that bad, also I plan on beefing the RAM up to 4gb so hopefully it would turn out alright)

Thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I also have an XBox 360 so most of my gaming would be done on that, I really only want to play Spore and perhaps other innovative games, as long as I can run it decently, I will be happy enough (as for the CoD4, I dont think it was that bad, also I plan on beefing the RAM up to 4gb so hopefully it would turn out alright)

Thanks

Why the hell would you play CoD4 on computer if you have xbox360?

Definitely wait, so much rumors about new iMac so it'll happen soon.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
But do you / I need that extra power anyway?

Not sure about you but I need, because I do a lot of editing and I can't afford high-end iMac.

If you don't need it right now (only if you are computerless which you're not). You'll get better Mac if you wait.

Maybe you won't notice difference, maybe you will. Only God :)apple:) knows:D

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
You really should wait.

The rumor about the Quad-Core processors could be a nice upgrade. Add that to the fact that you will get more ram, hard drive space, an LED screen and the new NVIDIA graphics chipset. Wait, you will be much happier with your purchase. They have to be coming soon.

As for gaming, while the ATI Radeon 2600 Pro will run your games (I have one), it really is a very outdated card. The graphics in the new iMac are something worth waiting for.

I know waiting sucks, but when buying Apple products it really pays to wait for an upgrade so you know you have the most current technology since Apple has a habit of waiting long periods of time between upgrades nowadays.

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
Thats all well and good, but I cannot really afford a new one, so even when / if the new ones hit, I will have to wait again for them to become refurbed...

Also, what do you mean, the new graphics in the new iMacs isnt even that good? @ Tallest Skil

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thats all well and good, but I cannot really afford a new one, so even when / if the new ones hit, I will have to wait again for them to become refurbed...

Also, what do you mean, the new graphics in the new iMacs isnt even that good? @ Tallest Skil

9400M isn't very good GPU, it needs another GPU if you want to do gaming. Possibly 9400M + 9600M combo as in MBPs.

BTW, is 9400M intergrated?

an4rew

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2007
N. Ireland
I went ahead and bought one recently... the base model is pretty fast and has no problem handling HD content so i'm very happy.

I also upgraded to 4GB of ram from Crucial for £40.

I've seen the 9400M in my friends Macbook and its not for any of the current games... I have a 360 elite for gaming.

The only thing that would make me angry and regret my purchase was if Apple surprised us and made some serious cosmetic changes... doubt it.

I wouldn't mind a black/silver keyboard and mouse though.

Soxy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
Hi there, im have been waiting for the new iMacs for a month or two now (I know not as long as some of you lot but yeah) and today it hit me, do I even need to wait for it?

So I am thinking, why not just buy a 2.66 ghz from the refurb store now instead of waiting for tommorow. Dual core 2.66 should be fine for me as i am on a single core 1.7 laptop now thats on its way out.

A quick question though, will it cope with playing games such as CoD4 and Spore as they are the only two games I want to play.

EDIT: Another quick question, how does the apple printer rebate work?

Thanks

Whilst I agree with your assessment in principal, I'd at least wait until tomorrow, more likely than not nothing will happen, but you will seriously kick yourself if it does.

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
Yeh, the refurb store is clear now as well... no idea how that happened. Maybe apple took it down to add to it or something..

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
Right, im thinking of ordering it today (providing someone doesnt snap it up before I can :p), I mean, the current specs are fine with me, it will do everything I want, sure, if I waited I would get better specs, but I dont need them. No matter how long you wait you will never have the best, there will always be better computers...

/speech :p

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
9400M isn't very good GPU, it needs another GPU if you want to do gaming. Possibly 9400M + 9600M combo as in MBPs.

BTW, is 9400M intergrated?

Yes, the 9400m is integrated.

There is no need for both the 9400m and the 9600m in a desktop computer, as conserving battery life is a non-issue.
The 9600m will most likely appear in the mid-range iMac I suspect, so the top end iMac should surely pack a 9800m GTS (as the current top end iMac is already packing an 8800m GTS / 8800GS).
Surely Apple won't go backwards by using the 9600m in both the middle and high end iMac will they?

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
Thanks guys, I have ordered it, very scary. I also ordered the cheapest printer as I only have a laser one for business. What do I do with that to get the rebate?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.