Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youstolemyname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2013
Hi there I went to the crucial.com and check for memory configuration that would work. It said 2 sicks of 4G. So I purchased 2 sticks of 4G and tried to install them. I can only install 4G plus 1G at a time. I tried both 4G sticks(one at a time with the 1G stick and they both work fine for 5G.

My mac book pro is a 13 in. mid 2009 model

Why cant I get it to run 8G.
Thanks for the help in advance:)

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
This is definitely odd.

I was going to say one of the 4gb's is bad, but you tried both with the 1GB.

What do you mean you can't? Does it not boot? Boots and only says you have 4 in the "About this Mac"?

The max is indeed 8 on the 2009 Macbook.

youstolemyname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2013
what is happening is I'm getting the 3 constant beeps that are synchronized with the LED light on the from of laptop.

Thanks again:)

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I'm trying my best to think why this isn't working.

It doesn't make much sense to me that they are individually working in the old RAM at separate times, but not working together.

If you look at the new RAM sticks and look at the gold pins, is there any visible dirt on them? Also did you accidentally touch the pins while installing it?

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Sounds either you got RAM speed above 1066MHz or you got high density RAM. You should check the type of RAM you have, I recommend low density 1066MHz RAM for your machine.

youstolemyname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2013
Well is look like the ram is 1067 MHz could that be the problem?

Yes I may have acccidently touched the pins. Is it ruined?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Well is look like the ram is 1067 MHz could that be the problem?

Yes I may have acccidently touched the pins. Is it ruined?

I believe you mean 1066, and if so that's the correct stuff.

It's possible. You should really try not to. They're pretty fragile and oil or dirt on a pin can most definitely cause the 3 beeps issue.

Going on from here, search how to clean the pins. I believe it's safe to use pure rubbing alcohol to clean the pins, but I don't want to give you bad information and have you ruin them.

Maybe someone else knows if its safe to do this?

Edit: I'm bored so I did the research for you. http://www.ehow.com/how_8292682_clean-dimm-memory-module.html

You can clean with rubbing alcohol, do it very gently and allow to AIR DRY before putting it back in. Wait at least 10 minutes, ensure it's completely dry.

Try installing the ram again, push firmly and make sure it snaps in. Reboot and cross your fingers.

Do you have compressed air? Spray some air into the slots where the ram go, might be some dirt in there.

Last edited:

youstolemyname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2013
So I have tried everything posted above.
I can use any combination of 4G 1G for 5G but cant get 4G 4G to work :(
Any other suggestions

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
So I have tried everything posted above.
I can use any combination of 4G 1G for 5G but cant get 4G 4G to work :(
Any other suggestions

Sorry I couldn't help friend. I can't think of a reason why they work separately but not together. Haven't been around Macs too long, but I've been working with PC's for almost 15 years.

I'm stumped.

Hold on: I just thought of something. Are you actually checking and seeing if it say's 5gb's in the about this mac info? Or are you assuming it's working because it boots? It may just be using the one gb stick, and in actuality the 4gb sticks are bad without you knowing. So when you remove the 1gb from the equation, nothing to use to boot. That's my best guess so far.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
I assume since you're using a 2009 model your OS might be dated as well? If that's the case old 32bit OSes do not support 4gigs and above.

I'm just assuming here. There's nothing wrong with your setup.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I assume since you're using a 2009 model your OS might be dated as well? If that's the case old 32bit OSes do not support 4gigs and above.

I'm just assuming here. There's nothing wrong with your setup.

Total nonsense, if you read the Mac actually uses 4 + 1 Gb of RAM right now, not only that, his Mac runs 10.5.7 minimum and supports 8 GB.

Go to everymac and see for yourself, it says 8 GB supported.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Total nonsense, if you read the Mac actually uses 4 + 1 Gb of RAM right now, not only that, his Mac runs 10.5.7 minimum and supports 8 GB.
Unless what was mentioned in post 10 is the issue. OP should verify that it actually 5GB.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hi there I went to the crucial.com and check for memory configuration that would work. It said 2 sicks of 4G. So I purchased 2 sticks of 4G and tried to install them. I can only install 4G plus 1G at a time. I tried both 4G sticks(one at a time with the 1G stick and they both work fine for 5G.

My mac book pro is a 13 in. mid 2009 model

Why cant I get it to run 8G.
Thanks for the help in advance:)
Okay it works with 4GB + 1GB configuration? Get it into that configuration and verify that it works. Then swap the location of those memory modules. If that doesn't work, you possibly have a problem with the logic board.

If that does work, try 4GB + 4GB again and make sure the memory modules are seated correctly in both slots.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Yes OP, clarify it's actually seeing 5GB. It may just be booting off 1. Other than bad new ram and an odd logic board problem that seems to be it.

youstolemyname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2013
I cant run a 4G by itself. If I run it with 4G and 1G it works fine. I tried all combinations with the 4G and 1G. (Example slot 1 had 4G slot 2 had 1G then swapped it so slot 1 had 1G and slot 2 had 4G) Works fine both ways. I also did this with both the 4G sticks to insure they were working. The computer is showing 5G with the 4G and 1G installed.

youstolemyname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2013
When I check under system profile it show the original 1G stick is 1067 MHz and the 4G stick is also 1067 MHz.
I just noticed something. It says ECC: Disabled what does ECC do ?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
When I check under system profile it show the original 1G stick is 1067 MHz and the 4G stick is also 1067 MHz.
I just noticed something. It says ECC: Disabled what does ECC do ?

Totally normal.

ECC is an extra error checking function built right into the RAM, but it's typically only used in high end workstations and servers. Only the Mac Pros use ECC RAM, and that's why that particular field is there. It's normal for a MBP, but on a Mac Pro it might indicate a problem.

youstolemyname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2013
So I went to the store a bought a new 4G stick and still cant get it to boot with 8G. Theres got to be something I can do to get 8G in this computer:confused:

youstolemyname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2013
Yes I think I reset it. Seems as if nothing happened . I did what the instructions said to do. Then I tried to re install the ram but it didn't work.

I pressed Shift+control+option+power button at the same time. Released all buttons at the same time. Then Turned computer on.I just reset the pram also.

Last edited:

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
I'm guessing here that the new memory is 'faster' than the computer supports and some odd thing goes on when it sets the memory up (maybe try to run at the faster speed and fails). That could explain why it does not boot with both new sticks and just one new stick, only boots when an old stick is installed, which brings the speed down...

if it boots and says both sticks are 1067 it means nothing as both need to run at the same speed, and that speed is of the slower one.

of course I may me totally wrong :D

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yes I think I reset it. Seems as if nothing happened . I did what the instructions said to do. Then I tried to re install the ram but it didn't work.

I pressed Shift+control+option+power button at the same time. Released all buttons at the same time. Then Turned computer on.I just reset the pram also.

Now that that didn't work you should try to run Memtest inSingle User Mode on all RAM stick, but do this one stick at a time.

In the Link below there is a Guide button, click on it and it will download a text file, this is the guide for Memtest, when you're done run Memtest on each individual stick.
If that comes clean it is not the RAM sticks but likely the Logic Board.

http://www.memtestosx.org/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.