Can IPad be managed w/o a computer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jaybar, Aug 23, 2011.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

I have a friend with a very aging laptop that needs replacement. Everything he needs to do in terms of day to day can be done on an IPad.

Without a computer (iTunes), how would He be able to upgrade IOS?

Is there a way to effectively only use an IPhad?

Thanks

Jay

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Updating the OS... At the moment no. With iOS 5 it will support over the air updates to the operating system so you will be free from the binds of a computer.

Other than that at the moment it is entirely possible to use an iPad as your only device. I know two owners who own nothing but an iPad each and everything is downloaded directly from App & iTunes store. They print to wireless HP e-print printers and are very happy.

When an update does come out OS wise - I update the iPad's for them at the moment. When iOS 5 hits - i won't have to after updating it to 5.

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Yes, you will be free of the need for a computer after iOS 5 is released, just remember to be on your wi-fi network when updating or downloading large file apps. You will quickly go over your data cap.

4. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I think from what I've heard the OTA updates on iOS 5 won't count to your data usage on 3G, haven't seen any official confirmation of that yet though.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Do you have a computer?

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

iOS 5 is going to be released in Sept (most likely). Once released, you can do updates and everything without a computer. Is it possible to use iPad as only device? Sure... depending on your needs. My mother only has an iPad 2, she no longer uses a laptop. I, on the other hand, need a laptop as I do a lot of 3D design and architecture and much more.

7. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

i just bought an ipad and when you turn it on it ask's you to connect to itunes. After that, yes you can use it computer free if you choose, and yes after ios5 no computer needed.

8. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

That's normal behavior for all iPads in that they need an initial setup via iTunes. Like others have said this will change upon the release of iOS 5 this fall.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It counted as my 3G data usage. I updated from Beta 5 to Beta 6 at work during my lunch break. Used up 130+ MB easy.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep, indeed there is. When the iPad 1 came out, my friend, who was frustrated with her computer and how it was always virus and malware ridden (not a Mac) decided that she just didn't want to deal with a computer anymore. She just browses, emails, watches vid, etc., so the iPad was perfect for her.

I simply put her iTunes library on my computer to set her up, and every few months she'll bring her iPad with her when she comes over and I sync it for her and do any available updates. Once iOS 5 comes out, I won't even have to do that for her.

It's worked perfectly for her. If you are willing to do this for your friend, you are good to go. Or, if he's allowed to have iTunes on his work computer, he could just sync at work.

11. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

I have done away with my laptop because of the simple fact all i do on a laptop to browses the internet & shop & emails and keep track of things i need to keep update as it need ..

Plus a nice fact about the ipad is that i do not need to recharge every two to three hours like a laptop along with the fact i have gotten rid of my mp3 player and smart phone to do thing i need to do ..

I use my office desktop to snyc up as it need to Itunes to do up date's as need

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So the OTA updates don't seem to have the 20MB cap placed on them like App Store apps, at this point?

13. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

So will there be a way to transfer music files to the iPad without using the computer that has your iTunes account on? It sounds like if you want to be truly free of the pc, you can only use the iTunes store... Any other ways?

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As far as I know, the only options would be (a) to pay for Apple's service to cloud store all your music and discontinue buying music on physical media or (b) pay for someone else's service and basically ditto.... Or get someone to upload copies of your songs for you.

15. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Think iOS 5 will get rid of that limitation... And not a minute too soon. I hate having it.

16. Zcott macrumors 68020

Any source for this?

17. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It doesn't seem like it does. The 20MB limit is great for people like my dad who has a 200MB data package. But for me with Unlimited, it's annoying. Some apps, when you start the update, it'll get paused and you cannot cancel the update until you connect to wifi.

18. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Sorry to hijack thread - but i think the prequsitie of needing a computer/laptop with an ipad/iphone can be negated with future, improved iOS and TC..

i sold my TC, since it does not quite meet my requirements.

Ideally i want to have all my media/data on my TC which i can then stream directly to my iphone/ipad/MBP - and access these over the cloud. Also, all software updates can be done independently from pc - maybe itunes like iOS on the TC? Thus, the TC acts much more than a conventional NAS device.

I would also like a TB connection to the TC which would make transferring large amount of data easier; not forgetting that painful, initial back-up.