Can iPhone 3G be unlocked with 5.14.02

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ny2nctova, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ny2nctova macrumors member

ny2nctova

My mom has a iPhone 3G and wants 4.1 and i know baseband will change, so can it be unlocked atm? With the jailbreaks that are out?

2. JDNGuru macrumors member

For the 3G, it doesn't matter if the baseband is updated or not. It really depends on the bootloader.

3G 4.1 w/ BL 5.09+ can be JB but not unlocked.
    3G 4.1 w/ BL 5.08 can be JB and unlocked.

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

There is not current unlock for 5.14 baseband. If you are lucky to have one of the first few 3G with the exploitable 5.08 bootloader, you can downgrade unlockable baseband. Chances are most don't. Before going to 4.1, either wait for new unlock or pwnagetool (create custom firmware while keeping baseband).

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't know where you get that but it's false. Baseband is what matters when it comes to unlocking not bootloader.
    The 4.1 firmwares bb cannot be unlocked so if you update to the official 4.1 you'd be stuck with no unlock.

5. crawsfire macrumors member

Wrong.
    What he is saying is that the 3G iPhones with bootloader 5.08 will be able to downgrade their baseband so they can unlock. There is a tutorial here that you can add to your google genius library:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=3570

Typically, if your iPhone was manufactured before September (2008), you are 5.08.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wrong, he's saying if you have the 5.08 bootloader you can JB and unlock and it all depends on the bootloader and other nonsense.
    Instead he should have said if you are one of the very few iphone 3G devices sold early on iphone 3G launch in 2008 you can downgrade the baseband using fuzzyband and then the downgraded baseband would be able to be unlocked.
    What him and you both misinformed individuals are doing is adding more bad assumptions and confusion.
    But what are you doing still here anyway, you were looking for a good android forum for your dual boot iphone 3GS with ios/android 2.2 right?
    Still havent found one?

7. crawsfire macrumors member

You said the bootloader has nothing to do with it. It does if you have a 3G phone. The end. You're welcome.

8. crawsfire macrumors member

I have more than one phone and it looks like you guys need some help over here. If you don't like being schooled report me to a mod.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Read his post again and you will see that more than half of what he posted is nonsense.
    I said that the bootloader has nothing to do with the JB and unlock, the baseband does.
    If he is lucky and has a 3G with that bootloader then the bootloader comes into play and he can downgrade his Baseband with fuzzyband in order to unlock it.
    You're welcome newbie:D

I can care less what you have. You'll probably come out with something crazy again and claim you have an iphone running the new windows Mobile 7:D
    lol

10. crawsfire macrumors member

The 5.08 bootloader is more prevalent than you think which it is why it is worth mentioning. Look at the production date of this 3G (and update your google genius library so you don't make bad assumptions and add confusion):
    [​IMG]

11. crawsfire macrumors member

And here is a screen shot with the pop-up you get if you have the 5.08 bootloader:
    [​IMG]

I just looked at 4 different 3G phones. All have 2009 production dates and all have the 5.08 bootloader.

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

what tool is used to jailbreak the 3g on 4.1?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The 5.08 bootloader is in less than 5% of iphone 3G sold.
    So update your wiki and also your 3GS with froyo:D

14. crawsfire macrumors member

15. crawsfire macrumors member

What happened to " only the very few iphone 3G devices sold early on iphone 3G launch in 2008" have that bootloader? LOL, now it's 5%, what is that, about 3 million? You are googling like crazy, LOL.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its true, only the early iphones released in the summer of 2008 had it untill Apple patched it.
    Want to argue some more keep going....

17. crawsfire macrumors member

Then explain the production date of the phone I posted a screen shot of. Do you need to google what the serial number indicates? lol

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Most likelly a refurb.
    How else would you explain it? You think Apple started putting back the old bootloaders in 2009 iphones genius?
    Lol :D

19. crawsfire macrumors member

Wow, you could be right, except the the refurb serial numbers have a unique indicator. Try again genius.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why dont you try again and get your facts straight.
    What is your explanation of those pics you posted up and who knows where you doctored them from.
    You really believe Apple was still putting the old bootloader on iphones in 2009?
    Hey I got a nice bridge for sale also:D
    Interested in a dual boot iphone 3GS also? :D

21. crawsfire macrumors member

Wow, just admit you are wrong and move on. Insinuating I doctored the pics is pathetic.
    Like i said, I just looked at 4 different 3G phones. All have 2009 production dates and all have the 5.08 bootloader. I must be the luckiest guy around, maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wrong about Apple updating the 3G bootloader shortly after they found out about the downgradable exploit in 2008?
    What kind of smoke are you cracking again?
    Post whatever more nonsense you want dude.

23. crawsfire macrumors member

So, to reiterate.......You can unlock a 3G with 5.14.02 as long as you have bootloader 5.08. You can use f0recast to check. The 3G's with this bootloader are not as rare as the "google genius" people think and they are definitely not limited to the 2008 production run.
    The End.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you say so but you still didnt post up that video of your 3GS running android:D
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1026049&highlight=

25. crawsfire macrumors member

Yes, I did. It has been up for days now and the droid forum thread about it is 17 pages long last time I looked. You want a link to it so you can claim I doctored it too? LoL

YOU HAVE TO USE MORE THAN GOOGLE TO FIND IT< GENIUS!!!