iPhone Can Jailbreaking permanently hurt battery life?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by adcx64, Dec 27, 2013.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

I know that some tweaks will reduce battery life, but could it permanantly damage it? like after i restore to a stock ios 7 experience?

2. Amiz macrumors regular

Unless your install a LOT of tweaks and apps, it's a possibility.

3. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

So what about if I just use 5 Icon Dock? Will that use more battery life or none at all?

4. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

In my experience tweaks that have a lot of graphic features tend to use the most battery, as well as devices that interact with the devices radios. So I don't think 5 Icon Dock will use more battery life, and if it does it might only be minimal. Did that answer your question?

5. g35 macrumors 6502a

No, the damage to battery life will not be permanent, if you restore your phone properly (google DFU restore, it's very easy). If you only install 5-icon dock, I suspect the change in battery life will not even be noticeable.

6. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

They can't damage it per se - at most, a stale process diving the CPU at (2x)100% will result in the device chewing thru the battery very fast. This means both battery warm-up and the need for recharging, which also increases the recharge count. The latter two will contribute to the battery dying earlier - say, after two years instead of three.

The solution? Only use reliable tweaks and/or routinely check your CPU usage with the OpenSSH + top combo (see THIS for more info). That way, you can very quickly identify the tweak running wild.

BTW, on iOS7, with both the iPad 3 and iPhone 5, I've made some serious experiments with some always-on tweaks I use (f.lux etc.) or deeply integrating into the system (Skype and normal Call Recorder) - no such problems with them. (More info HERE)

----------

I'll thoroughly check it (with my arsenal of CPU usage testers) and report back.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    It's not permanent.
    You restore or remove the buggy package and then your batery issue will be resolved.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Care to explain?

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, just no. Please don't post fake info. Jailbreaking is reversible, and if your battery life is suffering due to a rogue app, just uninstall it.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

^^^ This.

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

My iPhone 5 battery acts crazy. It'll go from 100% to 50% in 20 minutes without me using it

Then it'll sit on the 1% mark for about 45 mins.

I'm sure it's because of my one too many tweaks. I never had an issue with my 4 or 4S battery while jailbroken.

I'll restore to iOS 7 next week to see how it acts

13. td1439 macrumors 6502

td1439

This happened to me with my 3GS. I did a lot of theming on it, and because I needed to recharge it more often, by the time I traded it in for my 4S when my contract expired, it could barely hold a charge at all. It's also possible that I got a bad battery; my 3GS was a factory-restored unit which the guy at Radio Shack assured me had never been used, but who knows if that's true?