Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomnorwegian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2016
Hi. I got a new Macbook at work, and I have a terrible 21" screen I use in the office. I want to get the office-setup as efficient as possible and thus wonder what a new macbook can run.

I only use it for mail, office, SuperOffice etc. so no heavy lifting, just loads of multitasking.

There was remarkably little info on this topic when i did a regular search. The usb3 connector seems somewhat unchartered when it comes to splitting into two external screens...

So:
1) Can a Macbook run 2 screens? If yes, what gadget is needed to split the usb3 signal?
2) Does the new Macbook have a hard or soft resolution limit?

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
It depends, what are the resolution of these screens?

It's the resolution that matters, not the size. Also you'll need to find a hub/dock with 2+ display out, there aren't many out there but there are few with both HDMI and VGA output.

randomnorwegian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2016
I was thinking two 2560*1440 screens, but if that is too much I guess I could decrease to 1920*1080 or something like that. I basically want as much space as possible :)

As for these hubs, do you have any suggestions? I have access to the standard adapters for both HDMI and VGA at work, but I don't know what splitters could work out of those.

Thanks for your help!

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
Hm, 2x 1920*1080 should work, no idea about 2560*1440, but I don't see why not.

There's CalDigit USB-C dock with DP and HDMI, and CalDigit USB-C mini dock with HDMI and VGA.

They should be available soon if they aren't already.

randomnorwegian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2016
Interesting! I take it one would use one hdmi and one display port to add two screens through those docks.

Now I just need the dock to get available :)

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.