Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks for the great reply. I have been watching the "memory pressure" section of Activity Monitor and right now it is GREEN and with only 350 MB in the Swap Used section (Yosemite).

Does this mean that I would benefit from more RAM or should I get more RAM if the memory pressure colors go frequently in the yellow or red....?

bradleyjx

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Madison, WI
That's a harder question, though assuming that your computer has been on for some length of time, 350MB swapped on an 8GB machine isn't something to worry about. (I have about that much on one of my macs right now w/8GB RAM, and that machine has only been using Chrome + normal background tasks since I last restarted it)

If you're looking into getting more performance from that machine, and you are still on a spinning hard drive, I'd research upgrading that to an SSD first - you'll notice a world of difference there. If you're not doing a lot of things at the same time, or you don't experience times on your computer where it occasionally slows down drastically for short periods, then you may not need the additional RAM. (the slow downs tend to be caused by the computer needing to access the disk more frequently when RAM is full or near full)

The other thing I'd recommend, just to be thorough - I'd recommend looking at the Activity Monitor stuff after a couple days of not shutting down or restarting your computer, but during that time you shouldn't check RAM at all. My slight concern here is that if you're reacting to what you're seeing in the Memory tab, you're not getting a complete picture of what your normal usage habits are doing from a RAM perspective. After a couple days, if you check the swap and it's decently large (2+GB, I'm guessing), and you notice slowdowns, then I'd look into possibly upping how much RAM there is in the machine.

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
I will do what you say, I'll leave it for a few days and check the Swap Used and the Memory Pressure color.

Thanks again for you reply, it is real helpful, IAN.

chevychase

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2008
I just upgraded my Late 2011 15" MBP with a Crucial 16GB Kit (2x8GB) of 1600MHz ram. It does show 1600MHz in About This Mac. Not sure if my machine is taking advantage of the 1600MHz speed as it is listed to officially support 1333MHz. Some say it does, some says it doesn't. Regardless, everything seems to be running fine.

Reactions: pjk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.