All iPads Can New iPad Be Too Thin?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MeeMac, Aug 25, 2013.

1. MeeMac macrumors regular

Thin is more portable, but it can also be more fragile. Even if more perceived than actual, it is still real to the user.

If consumers compensate by placing their new thin iPads in thicker portable cases, would such a consumer response indicate Apple miss calculated by going too thin? Thicker cases equal thicker iPads.

Would Apple be better off staying thicker and adding more horsepower, if the end result is thicker cases equaling thicker iPads anyway?

2. apple-pride macrumors member

The only reason I haven't bought an iPad is because it's too thick. It's pretty heavy.

3. ikev85 macrumors member

I like my iPod touch 5g but it's pretty close to being too thin. I wouldn't have noticed some extra girth and keeping the features it lost (ambient light sensor, v. Important IMO)

My ipad 3 otoh i wouldn't mind if it slimmed a bit.

4. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I think yes, there is a huge potential for products to be too thin. I thought the iPhone 5 was "too thin" as compared to the 4S. Definitely too light, at least. Makes me feel like I'm going to drop it, still. Putting a case on it helps, but that's annoying to have to do. With the regular ipad though, it's going to be at least 2 years until we run into an iPad that is too thin. The thing is really thick still, and imo that's why I have a mini. They're slimming it down a little, but it's going to be a process that takes place over a couple years or more. They are making slight improvements this generation, not a massive thinning over.

5. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

6. -iKris- macrumors regular

I'd much prefer a reduction in weight than thickness. But I'd still appreciate it being a little thinner. It's nowhere near being too thin yet.

7. Powrie macrumors 6502

With the Reduction in weight comes the greater thickness.

Hopefully they will find a balance with a bigger battery to give us longer time between charges.

I dont like being tethered to an electrical plug.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

9. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

If they make it thinner than a fashion model... they've gone too far.

10. esskay macrumors 6502

Lol

For me the actual weight is most important

11. Robster3, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yeah weighs a tonne, i had to join a gym just to build strength so i could carry it around:rolleyes:

Hope they don't use the thinner glass like the mini to keep the weight down. First thing i noticed when i got a mini.
    I prefer the silver back on the black ipad too, black back mini scratches too easy.

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

13. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Yes. Ipad 1 felt great. Since then, too thin. Anything that you have to have a case on to make sure you don't drop it is a design failure.

14. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Not without flexible electronics... but that would solve a lot of the fragile issue as well.

15. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I've wondered about the glass screen/digitizer becoming to thin on a new iPad. It hasn't been a problem with the Mini, but I still can see the screens being a fragile element of this new equation.

16. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I went from a iPad 3 to mini, first thing i notice was the screen, very tappy, flimsy feel to it. Now back to a iPad 4 and it feels solid.

17. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Yar, Ipad mini seems too fragile to me, the glass is too thin, some said its bendable. The feel when you press on the screen is different compare to my Ipad 2.

I wouldn't want new Ipad to be with ipad mini type glass or overall built. Still, my ipad 2 can break my nose if hold incorrectly in bed. I just think that 7.9 screen with the same built of a full size wouldn't make it too heavy, it would be the right weight.

18. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Thin/thick is so subjective, it's impossible to get it right for everyone. They'll do their homework and whatever they decide on consumers have to live with.

I just wonder if there's any reason they haven't moved to something like Gorilla Glass for their displays?

I love that stuff on my phones..

19. Icaras, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Nope. I actually hope one day, an iPad can come close to the thickness of a credit card. Not being sarcastic either. Obviously, I'm sort of looking at many, many years into the future here, but I seriously can't wait for technology to get that thin.

And actually, I find that the lighter a device is, the less fragile it becomes if dropped. And I believe this is being proven in some drop tests with the iPhone 5 and iPad mini on various Youtube videos.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No. A thicker iPad with a case is still going to be thicker than a thinner iPad with case. Device thickness isn't interchangeable with device+case thickness. A thicker device isn't less damage prone.

21. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

Not really right now. but if they keep going with the thinner and lighter campaign eventually it will be. I like my devices to have a little weight on them so that i can know that I have a real device on me. The iPhone 5 felt a little to thin to me but that's just my personal preference.

22. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing the iPad 5 will be as thin as the iPad 2, or has that detail already been leaked?

23. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

Thin is In!

It will be thinner than the iPad 2.

24. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

The case is irrelevant. People will put a case on it regardless so a thicker iPad would be even thicker with a case. It's not like people will get a thick case for a thin iPad and vice versa.

25. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

I was just playing with the new Sony tablet at Best Buy - Z tablet or something like that. It is incredibly thin, and felt incredibly uncomfortable. I definitely want a lighter iPad, and it could be a little thinner, but I hope they don't go crazy.