can new rMBP be this cool?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freida, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hello guys,

I know that Apple is obsessed about thin and light but they usually compromise on GPU as we always get weak cards. Is there any chance that Apple will actually make some serious GPU tweaks? I mean, look at this laptop - its thinner than rMBP and has 765GTX 2GB card. If they can do it then I'm sure Apple can do something even better. Unless I have overlooked something.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think you overlooked the battery.

Razer - 70Wh
    rMBP - 95Wh

3. Memole macrumors member

Macbook has never been a real gaming laptop, also in my personal opinion i think that for gamers is way much better desktop than any laptop system...

apple could make this thin and put strong GPU but Apple is all about balance
    to be portable enough and to have power but also what is most important of all in any mobile devices such as laptop is battery life...

also razer blade dont have great battery life as macbooks also this razer blade is pretty much hot and i dont really like that...

imho if i where doing some serious video editing i would rather go for a mobile workstation than for any consumer laptop, and if i where a gamer i would go for a desktop instead of a laptop :)

4. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

To me battery is not important at all as I usually run on ac.
    Or is that where we are at these days? That battery is more important than performance? It's good that they are pushing the battery to last longer but it shouldn't be the limiting factor, should it?

5. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Then you aren't Apple's target audience.

6. ghoti macrumors member

It's all about balance.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It also has a really poor display (1600x900 TN, poor viewing angles) and runs very hot according to reviews.

8. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, the problem is that Apple doesn't offer a workstation so that option is not there unfortunately. I also like workstation and for me battery is pretty much something i don't need or care about. As when I travel I have my iPhone or iPad for emails etc and when I arrive to the destination I plug in my laptop and work in Maya. In fact, I was so disappointed that they have eliminated the 17" as that was the perfect screensize for my needs.
    If they are doing a "pro" laptop then they could also put a better GPU. In fact, they are now pushing GPU over CPU in the new Mac Pro so a "pro" laptop should have that option also, no?

----------

yep, the display etc. could be up to Apple's specs and about the hotness? Well my rMBP gets very hot when I run something GPU intensive so hot that I am using external keyboard as I don't like the heat dissipating over my fingers.

----------

I was just wondering if Apple could just make some of the specs better (GPU in this example). That is why i posted that razor example as they are able to cram that GPU into such a small enclosure.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Probably, but they would have to decrease the CPU power. The Razer Blade uses a lower performance 37W CPU while the 15" rMBP uses a 47W CPU.

Honestly I don't think that market-leading game performance is really Apple's target with the rMBP, so I don't see them sacrificing other qualities (like battery life) to achieve it.

10. Memole macrumors member

well you have Maya for Linux and for Windows as well you dont have to stick with OS X if you gonna use Maya :)

OS X is good for people who are consumers and for people who are in need of Apple exlusive Apps such as XCode Final Cut and so

for example i wouldnt buy a Macbook if i dont have to run XCode to develop apps :)

but honestly i think for you is a desktop machine or a workstation / mobile workstation :)

11. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh no no no no to Linux. I have that at work and its such a hassle just to install basic stuff. For example, getting wacom tablet working needs to have the driver installer recompiled from the IT department. I don't have the knowledge nor desire to learn that software. Windows was enough crap to deal with.

To me OS X is the best of both world. Easy to use and stable. I'm not going to leave OS X unless things go really bad with OS X or unless MS or someone will come somethign completely amazing.

Yep, I had 12 core mac pro at home and that was the best machine i've had but then i started travelling a lot and needed mobile workstation that i can put in the suitcase and then put on the desk when i arrive to the destination. Also, occassionaly I play a game or two so GPU is a good use. Not to mention the CUDA power you get from Nvidia GPU :)))

12. bill-p macrumors 68000

Why don't you just get the current rMBP and overclock the GPU even further under Windows?

The GPU in the current rMBP is actually clocked higher to exceed 660M performance. All things considered, it's probably not a match for the 765M, which does feature twice the shader units, but it'll still be quite a contender.

13. falconeight Guest

falconeight

If I could bring myself to spend that much I would buy it in a heartbeat. Makes every consumer electronic device look novice.

14. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

15. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Shame..

Such a shame there is such a lack of innovation and design out there, really - really sad that only Apple is setting the design standard and when other designers come up with something it is so obviously, heavily influenced by the glossy - crisp fruit.

Then again, better that they copy well than come up with really ugly lines and shapes for notebooks. I guess the retina macbook's design is the most attractive, if only their screen bezel was as thin as the 17" macbook pros and I don't like the raised hinge, prefer the flush hinge, they run just as cool if not cooler than the retina's raised screen hinge actually. Also minus those gills (air vents) those are a bit much and on my retina just acts as a dust suction tray, I have to clean them out every other week, I hardly have to clean the entire inner case of my 17" MBP, like once every 8 months of heavy use.

16. kittencounter macrumors member

The glass trackpad alone already worth to pick up any macbook. I think the macbook pro is still unbeatable working machine. It's non distracting and perfom consistent which is very important for your work, doesnt matter what you do. Many of the apps on Mac OS are designed very well, feel light weight and efficient. I don't mind if I get a slight uglier macbook if they make the edge on palm rest not that sharp and print more symbols on the keyboard.

17. AppleCruncher macrumors regular

Some design ques yes but what shape is a laptop supposed to be? The one the OP listed actually has some different features that some would call innovative.

10 dynamic adaptive tactile keys...pretty cool. You can change what the key looks like, add your own icon to it.

LCD track pad....really cool for us geeks.

Simply moving the trackpad to the side would sell it for my wife. She hates the center trackpad on every laptop.

18. rabidz7, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Real simple
    rMBP with GTX780M=I stay with OS X
    rMBP without GTX780M=I get a MSI GT70 dragon edition

19. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

20. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Yeah the Razr is a good computer and I really liked it until I saw the 1600 x 900 resolution, which is crap to me now. Oh well.

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Oh one more thing Apple did not hire Razer engineers for gaming laptop. :apple:

22. thundersteele macrumors 68030

In that case, you can safely order your MSI dragon. There is no way that the next rMBP will come with the 780M Nvidia GPU.

23. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

Agreed. There is no way that is happening.

24. Zombiechow, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

Zombiechow macrumors newbie

I had an opportunity to pick up one of these last year, but opted for the rMBP. I was sold on display, battery life, ascetics, and weight.

I hated the feel of the Blade's Keyboard and didn't care for the Switchblade UI, mostly due to the positioning of the track pad. Additionally, I wasn't impressed with the audio solution provided, it ran really hot, and the display wasn't worthy of the high price tag.

I was amazed at the gaming performance of the rMBP. The included 650m is no slouch, and I can play every one of my games on their highest settings at 1680x1050. I could even do this at 1900x1200, but choose not to. The games still look fantastic, even when running outside of the monitor's native resolution.

In short, I think Apple doesn't need to one up Razer, at least for now. They already have a really cool product here. Apple practically invented this class of notebooks. Razer took Apples formula and designed something for gamers.

----------

I agree for a few reasons.

1) Profit margins.
    2) Heat.

The benefits of the 780MX would only be to gamers, and possibly to those who encode video and such. Professionals who model with 3DS Max, Maya, etc, are better served by machines with Quadro's or Firepro's.

25. newdeal macrumors 68020

Then you should get a desktop and you could get an even more awesome graphics card?