can old iphone become an iPod?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emembee, Nov 7, 2013.

1. emembee macrumors regular

emembee

rather than trading in my ip4, am thinking it could be used as an iPod for my son. is that possible to do, if I just remove the sim?

looking to upgrade in next 2 weeks but think the trade in value not worth it.

2. Bowsa2511 macrumors regular

Yeah of course, just wipe the device, set parental controls for the App Store/iAP and set him up on a separate Apple ID for Facetime/iMessage.

3. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

4. Beelzbub macrumors regular

It's an honest question, some people simply don't know they can do that.

A manager in my office upgraded to the 5S, asked me how long he had to get the stuff off his old iPhone before he had to turn it back into AT&T, I said just take the SIM out and give it to your kid as a iPod. He didn't know he could do that, he thought he had to give it back.

His kid is happy and he's happy since his kid isn't playing with his iPhone anymore.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Keep in mind, you'll need a SIM card in order to activate the phone when you restore it. But, once it has been activated, the sim card isn't necessary.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The grapevine say old versions of iPhone(s), with older OS, may insist u activate cellular service, keep giving u a pop-up, or won't continue until that's taken care of.

7. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Absolutely not true, I have done this several times.

8. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Wait we are talking about the original posters iPhone 4 or some other iPhone version? My comment was based on the OP's iPhone 4. :eek:

9. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

What a silly answer. He has every right to ask because, well, believe it or not, it depends on the phone itself and which edition is it.

In his particular case, this will work.

10. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Any iPhone on any firmware can be simply used as an iPod by following the simple instructions in the second post.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just remove the SIM.

There are some situations where you need a SIM, like complete reset of the device. If you didn't change carrier, you just move the SIM from the new phone to the old one, do the reset, and move it back.

Depending on where you are, you may get a SIM with pay-as-you-go. So you can make phone calls in an emergency.

----------

Yes, when you reset the device. You take the SIM from another device, reset the device, take the SIM back out again.

12. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I did the exact same for my son. Post #2 is spot on.

13. murano macrumors member

Yes, it can be used as an iPod, Gaming device and a remote for your ATV, Sony/Samsung... TV (if supported), Blu ray player, HTPC etc.
    Just make sure you turn it in Airplane more and then turn ON the wifi. This will save your battery from searching the cell network.

14. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

i used my iPhone 5S as an iPod for the first day while i waited to get a new nano sim haha.

15. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

How did you activate it if you don't mind me asking?

16. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

use wifi with an inactive sim card