Can people stop complaining about minor iOS 8.0.1 bugs?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Raftysworld, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Raftysworld macrumors 6502

Because of the hysteria of several users losing TouchID after updating, we now have national news headlines trashing Apple's name.

The thing is, bugs are to be expected in any software release. If you've worked for a software company you know it is impossible to eliminate all bugs. Sometimes you just have to release what you've got, and hold some bug fixes until later. Most people know this, and yet it seems like a large contingency of people here are screaming about these bugs like Apple just made a fatal mistake.

Overall, iOS 8.0.1 is a stable, functional operating system. Android would kill to have the stability and fluidity in iOS. Let's stop perpetuating the Android fanboy memes about iOS and start using our brains a bit.

2. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

You do realize that it killed cellular service as well on the iP6/6+ yes? Pretty important feature for a phone dont you think? Especially given that folks who have those devices are only a few days old and now cannot be used.

3. Raftysworld thread starter macrumors 6502

There were some reports of this, but there are reports of similar issues every iOS release... and I'd wager to say, FAR more reports of it after an Android update.

4. oldmacs macrumors 68040

There are a lot of people affected. Perhaps Apple should be responsible for once, and have done some more bug testing. Its not acceptable for the latest iPhone to loose cellular capacity. Apple did make a fatal mistake here, and maybe if their name gets trashed, they'll work on less buggy software.

Oh and we're glad to see that you were obviously not affected, but maybe have some sympathy for those who are. Typical, someone who is not affected by a problem, complains when others complain that they are.

5. furam90 macrumors regular

Is this thread a joke? A bug that kills your cellular connection and the main security feature of your device rendering it unusable is not 'minor,' it's probably the worst possible thing that can happen. And it happened to ALMOST every single iPhone 6 and 6+ that updated. Apple's deserves all the hate and negative press they're getting.

6. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

I have been on Android since Android 3. Never once an update rendering the phone useless. This updates turns your 900 dollars plus phone into 200 dollar iPod Touch. This updates also renders TouchID useless. How is this is minor issues?

7. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Actually, from what I gather it was all iPhone 6 and 6 pluses. At least, no one with one of those models said their cellular service WAS working after the update.

However, I did also see that it was because the carriers had not pushed their side of the tower updates either, so really 8.0.1 was fine, in and of itself.

I do agree with OP though.

8. beany boy macrumors 6502

beany boy

I would expect some bugs in software updates but this goes way beyond minor.

9. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Well, those phones were still just as secure, if not more actually. Touch ID was not operational, but you still needed your passcode to unlock. Given that TouchID can be defeated, someone with a complex passcode would have actually been a bit safer with it disabled. Not that I'm trying to pick nits, but there it is.

10. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

So you are suggesting that all the people reporting lost services were lying because they have no service at beginning? Or you are blaming it on either carrier or users. Apple can do no wrong all over again

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

What update completely killed cellular functionality and basic/important functionality of a fundamental feature like TouchID across a few particular models of the iPhone.

Seems like there's a misconception and/or a misunderstanding of the nature of the issue and its impact. It's not like any other issues and not some minor little thing.

12. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Dude you need to visit the iOS 8.0.1 has arrived thread or simply google it. Its WAY more widespread than typical "ios made my battery bad" comments. I get what you are saying and I see that all the time to but this one was for real. So much so that Apple pulled the update totally. Sorry but this one is not fitting in that typical complaints column for new updates.

13. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

You need to reread my post, because I said none of those things. :rolleyes:

14. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Where have you seen the carrier updates info? I have been searching to see what the heck they are saying it was. Seems it worked if used iTunes to update and not OTA until they pulled it. So would appear to be the OTA package maybe was incomplete.

15. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I'd say disabling the phone feature of a PHONE is a rather serious error. Throw in disabling a key security feature, and you have a real screw up on your hands. And it wasn't "several" people that experienced this.

It's like we're back to the "Apple can do no wrong" days here again.

16. nickdylan macrumors regular

Nope nope nope nope. "National news headlines trashing Apple's name" - the travesty of it all! Some people are losing fell connectivity - that's kind of a big deal. They have every right to complain.

17. mohammed-eg macrumors member

18. MEMSMaster macrumors member

Speaking a a long-term computing technology person who really likes the iPhone (iOS 7 perhaps a bit less than the Bauhaus gang, but still good) I really, truly hope that the original poster is not an official Apple crisis management responder. Because if that is the attitude within Apple then they are actually doomed. Nothing destroys a technology/software company faster than blinding itself to real problems and refusing to address them.

I have no evidence that that is the case at Apple; I hope it isn't. But again this post had best not be part of an astroturfing happyface campaign because if it is... :eek:

19. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

20. pish6969 macrumors regular

OP is either just trying to get a rise out of people or totally clueless. Either way, though I never did the update and not affected I feel horrible for the people that can't use their phones because of this.

21. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

These are not minor bugs, because they affected a very large cross-section of users who made the update.

Cellular connection is a basic function. iOS 8.0.1 was seeded to carriers for network testing BEFORE iOS 8.0 even came out. Confirming the cellular networking should have been the first thing checked off the to-do list, NOT the showstopping bug on the first post-release iOS update.

Most of the complaints about iOS 8.0 were much more limited in scope, and not really different from the gripes that normally accompany a major OS update. The iOS 8.0.1 bugs are a flat out blunder. Even if Apple can blame the carriers for the cellular failure, there's no excuse for breaking Touch ID. That too is a basic function, and making it work is all on Apple.

For a lot of people that installed the update, it worked fine. But, the rate at which the bug reports first started appearing this morning, and the consistency of the issue reported, indicates that this is more widespread than normal among those that updated, and the bug is more serious and replicable than the usual ill-defined complaints about battery drain or lagging.

22. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Now I am a loyal Apple customer, not because of blind fanboyism, but because I truly believe that, for me, Apple makes the best hardware and software. I want my products beautiful, enjoyable to use, and functional. I do not care about Apple as such, or Steve Jobs, or any other thing associated with Apple. I could not care less if the company is called Samsung or Microsoft. I look at these things mostly from the perspective of a TOTALLY selfish consumer. I want companies to make good products FOR ME.

That said, I believe that bad publicity, even if blown out of proportion, is one of the best things that can happen to Apple in the long run. Apple is still good, but it needs to step up its game and stay way ahead of the competition. "Every" software release has bugs. "Every" product has problems. Right, but does Apple want to be like "every" other company? By it's own claims, it does not. True, perfection is hard to come by. By some of these things are just TOO FAR from perfection. Apple can be better than this, and hopefully with enough pressure it will not become complacent, but wake up and improve.

Like, if you can't do a live stream right, and if it takes 3-5 days to get an OS update to download...don't tell me this is the best Apple can do. Those who make excuses for these things in fact have less confidence in the company than I do.

23. X-X macrumors 6502

@antiprotest: Really good comment.

Unfortunately I don't see Apple improving ever again. Tim Cook's mentality is way to lax and he's even proud of that fact.

A really nice guy makes a really bad CEO.

24. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Considering so many people these days don't have home phones and cellphones are their only means of comm, this is major. Yes, there's a go back to 8.0 fix, but not everyone knows how to do that. My parents for instance would be dead in the water until Apple released an OTA fix.

The fact a fix hasn't come by now is BS!

25. Jman13 macrumors 68000

From what I could gather, this bug killed cellular service for about 95% of iPhone 6/6+s that updated. I was one of them. This was not a minor bug, but a flat out failure on apples part to adequately test the ota update.