Can rMBP drive 2 DVI monitors at the same time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NeedMoreVideo, Sep 7, 2012.

1. NeedMoreVideo macrumors member

Hi,

Can someone with a retina Macbook Pro attempt to plug in 2 DVI monitors through 2 separate MiniDisplay Port to DVI adapters into the 2 thunderbolt ports on the machine and let me know if both screens turn on?

I've been googling for this for about the past hour and I have not come up with much that is useful.

I don't think I want to carry 2 DVI monitors into an Apple store in order to find out...

I want to see if spending money on this is worth it given that I am unable to bring my own monitor to work, but I am allowed to bring in my laptop. (Yes, strange arbitrary IT rules)

Thanks!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, but you'll need the expensive Dual-DIV adapter, which runs in the $100 range.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

4. NeedMoreVideo thread starter macrumors member

Why is this? I don't mind shelling out the cash if it works, but I would like to understand how this can be.

I thought the only difference between the Mini Display Port to Dual-link DVI adapter and the Mini Display Port to Single-link DVI adapter was the size of the monitor being driven?

Do they communicate over Thunderbolt differently? I thought they both took in the Mini Display Port protocol as their inputs?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

A friend has it this way. I am not 100% sure how he does it. I only use the mini-Display to DVI or VGA personally.

6. Stetrain, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

You only need the Dual-Link DVI adapter if your monitor requires Dual-Link DVI, like the old 30" Cinema Display or the large Dell Ultrasharp displays.

All you need to run two normal DVI monitors (on the Retina Macbook Pro) is two Mini-Displayport to DVI adapters.

7. NeedMoreVideo thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! That is what I was hoping to hear.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

You can actually run 3 if you're willing to use the HDMI port as well

9. 725032 Guest

Yes, it will run this no problem. You just need 2 adaptors