Can some one help me fix this?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Barnzee, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Barnzee macrumors regular

A drink spilled in my backpack that my ipad was in. I believe it leaked in through the speaker because the speaker no longer works. Everything else works. I guess i'm lucky that it didn't ruin the logic board or dock connector.

Is there a way I can just clean the LCD screen or do I have to replace it? I'm cool with opening it and trying to fix it myself.

[​IMG]
    IMG_5531 by Barnzee01, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5530 by Barnzee01, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5529 by Barnzee01, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5528 by Barnzee01, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5527 by Barnzee01, on Flickr

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Have you read any disassembly guides for the iPad 3 yet? You may change your mind after doing so.

3. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

4. b.c., Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

b.c. macrumors 6502

here's something to immediately try...

turn the iPad completely off if it's not already and DON'T charge it. put it into a container of dry uncooked rice and cover it completely with the rice. close the container if possible. then sit it aside and leave it alone for at least a couple days.

if you're lucky and the water hasn't damaged too much, the dry rice will absorb most of the moisture. if you're really lucky the iPad may fully work afterwards.

I've done this successfully with cellphones that accidentally went through a laundry machine cycle and appeared completely dead and had water inside the LCD like in your photos. a few days of drying out and it came alive again. other friends have revived dunked iPods and iPhones this way. Never heard anybody drying out an iPad this way, but hey it's worth a shot. Seriously, the uncooked rice absorbs a lot of moisture.

after that if it still needs repair, go to ifixit.com and look for the appropriate repair guide. if you're not afraid to disassemble your iPad, you could also try disassembling it first before storing in the uncooked rice - it will dry things out more quickly.

good luck!

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

That looks like condensation. Try the rice trick or some Silica packs!

6. Barnzee thread starter macrumors regular

Its an Ipad 2, and its not water its Monster Energy.. don't know if rice will work with that. I've seen the teardown video's and it does not look too complicated. I just wanted to see if anyone had any solutions on whether I should try to clean it, or just replace the LCD inside. If I try to clean it, what chemicals should I use?

I'm buying an Ipad 3 when I get back to the States, I was going to give this one to my brother, but I want to try and fix it or clean it first.

7. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Monster Energy is 99% water. The issue will be with leftover sugary residue.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

And monster.

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

So thats the color issue everyone is complaining about on the IP3. Well, damn I can see why people are returning so many ipads.

:D

10. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I think your iPad may be toast.:( Do you happen to have Apple Care?

11. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Sugary stuff is what Monster is made of! It's basically a weird soda with some caffeine and herbal stuff added to it.

12. Barnzee thread starter macrumors regular

No apple care :( I'm going to just buy a new LCD and try and replace it myself.