Can someone get this link to the idiots at Consumer Reports Please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cc999, Jul 16, 2010.

1. cc999 macrumors 6502

2. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

There is a difference between losing bars and losing service. Those phones dont lose SERVICE. The iPhone does.

Please go back to your rock.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

My phone doesn’t LOSE service. A majority of iPhone 4’s don’t LOSE service.

4. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Sorry, not true. No other phone has an external antenna that you can directly touch with bare skin. All phones suffer attenuation but not detuning. It is no where as much an effect as detuning as seen on the iPhone 4. Consumer Reports, Anandtech have corroborated. I haven't seen all these videos, but many require unusual ways of holding, essentially trying to block the signal from the antenna. This is very different from a normal touch which happens to bridge the two antennas on the iPhone 4.

Consumer reports went so far as to call the comparison practically a lie. Steve Jobs continued this campaign of confusion. Most consumers can not sort out the difference. Steve Job's and Apple's credibility will continue to suffer. Steve is harming the brand image by this grandiose attitude. Never admitting a mistake, instead throwing it in consumers face. Look how many we've sold and how few returns we've had. I dare you to return your phone. There are people waiting behind you.

Consumers should not react well to this. But this is the same guy who has the nerve to decide what applications you are permitted to run on your phone and iPad. Will he decide what you can run on your Mac next?
    This is the same guy who has the nerve to tell developers how to "originally" write their programs regardless of what it does or how well it functions.
    This is the same guy who has the nerve to at a whim rewrite terms and conditions to disallow Admod ads while allowing Apple iAds.

Steve Jobs has unfortunately become too full of himself. Unfortunately I've never seen anyone willingly step down from such hubris.

5. Katin macrumors regular

Agree! I've never lost service with my iPhone 4. EVO Sucks!

6. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Same here. Obviously we are making it all up, though. :p

7. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Well if you two never have lost service then it doesn't happen! What does the EVO have to do with this?

8. cenetti macrumors 6502

You don't need a death grip ... only one finger touch to the corner is enough to bring bars down.... I've done it with my co workers phone, as well as the units at the store.

Lemon phone is lemon.... Enuff said... :D

9. Greg M macrumors 6502

All of you fan boys that scream, "nothing wrong with my iphone" just don't get it. If you're in a strong signal area then sure, you're not going to notice the problem but it's still there.

Most of the iphones that are sold are sold to people that can afford them. Most of them live in more densely populated areas which typically have better service. Therefore, most of the iphones sold are used in places that generally have better service so the problems with the antenna aren't noticed nearly as much as in areas with medium to low service.

My iphone looses service much more then my wife's phone does. There are many reasons to want an iphone. However, good reception isn't one of them. None of the iphone models have had good reception but that doesn't stop me from using it :)

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Right, so all these videos were staged. :rolleyes:

Assuming you even know the difference, can you back up your statement with any evidence?

Hmmm... noo, they seemed pretty normal methods of holding to me. But then you even admit you haven't seen all the videos and yet are making conclusions already.

Where did they say this? You cite CR and Anandtech as backing up your assertions, but I've read through the articles and see nothing of the sort.

Or, have you not read them and just made more half-baked assumptions, just as you did with the videos?

Ahhh and here the ulterior motive and agenda are revealed. :)

We get that our iPhones work fine for how we use them. Sorry that yours may not work for you, but that doesn't change that ours does.

11. Greg M macrumors 6502

I agree 100%.

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Actually Consumer Reports is the one who has become full of themselves. They used to be fairly good at what they do but now have become full of their own self importance, like too many people who read their own press releases.

They said in their earlier report that the only reason they didn't give a buy recommendation to the iP4 was that Apple didn't give bumpers that would fix the issue. Today Apple says alright we'll give our customers who want bumpers, and we'll give you a full refund if you return your phone within 30 days with no damage. Then CR full of their own self importance comes along and says, not enough you must do this and this. I'd say they are the ones who are full of it.

I like the fact that Apple keeps a sharp control of their products it stops them from degrading into the trash that is Microsoft. All of my Apple products work very well with each other, tight control of the Operating Systems insure that.

Oh, I have the antenna issue and since my phone is and always has been and always will be in a case, it is a non-issue to me.

Anyone who doesn't put their cell phone in a case is a fool. And note I said cell phone because I mean any cell phone.

One last note this evening I took my iPad 3G out of its case and tested its antenna and guess what it lost bars also. Therefore Steve Jobs was right about what he said about the other phone and it can also be said about iPads. Did I lose service no, but I've never lost service because of it on my iPhone either.

13. Greg M macrumors 6502

Was that really necessary? Someone doesn't do what you do so they're a fool?

BTW, I loose service often. Lucky you, you're in a high signal area. That high signal compensates for the iphones poor reception. I wish my area was as good as yours.

14. BadMoon macrumors 6502

I agree. I'm tired of some of the douche pickle remarks around here. If someone doesn't want a case that doesn't make them a fool. Nor does wanting to use one.

Seems to me there are three groups on this board. You have the extreme apple lovers and the extreme apple haters. Finally you have the normal everyday people that aren't a bunch of self rightous penis tips. Extremism never works in my opinion. Would love to see them all go away. Haha!

15. bekay macrumors newbie

No hate on apple, although I recognize that they are a corporation whose main goal, is to make money. I think where this guys quote is seriously misled is that consumer reports is doing this for some kind of attention. To me, consumer reports did exactly what it was meant to do, protect and inform the consumer against corporations that create these products. I don't wanna drag this on, but there's a long history of corporations screwing the consumer, and thats why some people look onto other sources other than the company that sold them the phone.

16. cc999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why

Then why does not consumer reports post a test of all the latest phones and see if this is a common problem with cell phone design? No they single out the iphone for one reason, publicity.

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Mine can drop bars when I have a weak signal but I don't lose service.

18. sorchard macrumors regular

But for many (and don't quote Apple's stats at me - I think the Iraqi Information Minister was more truthful), it does.

RIM, Nokia, etc all make and sell far more phones than Apple. If they were making duff phones, don't you think there'd be more outrage from their users?

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1

20. MrNimziki macrumors newbie

MrNimziki

There is also a difference between "loose/loosing" and "lose/losing"...

21. walangij macrumors 6502

Yep. But there isn't because this is a non-issue. The EVO community has had problems with screens coming apart, the Incredible with the battery not charging all the way up when on...and so on and so forth. No phone is perfect, NONE. But Apple's problems with the proximity sensor & the signal make the iPhone 4 just another phone that has problems too. This time the problems are widespread.

OP None of the other companies touted their revolutionary new antenna design. The reason why CR has had so much press is because the average CR reader is the average Apple consumer. It appeals directly to their market. How do I know this? Well Apple users cover such a broad spectrum because of the wild success of the iPhone. Because everyone from my grandparents to my professors 13 year old kids have iPhones. Incredible success and popularity = being held to a higher standard product than say HTC or Samsung. Apple created this themselves, and they have mismanaged the PR. Hopefully they learn from this.

22. RC83 macrumors 6502

23. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yes I know, I screwed up. Thanks for pointing that out.

24. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Why don't you send it to them yourself? If they don't pay attention to it, that might be a message for you.

25. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

ummm media hungry consumer reports? c'mon get real man. All these fanboiz bashing CR because they're not drinking apple's koolaid when it's the only company with an honest viewpoint. getting ridiculous.

Now I love my iPhone4 but I appreciate CR's candor on the manner