iPad Can someone help me calm my OCD?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Samtb, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Samtb, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

Samtb macrumors 65816

I got a leather smart case and didnt like it because it had a small rip in the front and dark patches everywhere. So I got it swapped and now the new one has 3 tiny black dots on the front, wrinkle lines on the back and a small misalignment on the edge of the cover so the cloth material on the inside shows a little bit at the edge of the cover when looking at it head on. Can someone tell me that the case is perfectly normal so I know that it's just my OCD?

2. FrankB1191, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

You could view it as distressed leather, and people pay extra for that look. :D I was watching a YouTube review of leather smart cases, and the reviewer showed his leather iPhone 5s case. In just a month of use, the 5s case looked like well-worn leather, so your iPad case will probably look at bit more broken in overall in a month or two. ;)

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

If you were doing a project for a customer and it had obvious defects what do you think your customer would do?

Cases for the more part have a significant mark up.
    I purchased 3 cases for the ipad air, $10. They are not 100% perfect but for the price I paid they are close enough. If I purchased a more expensive case and it had the same minor defects I know I wouldn't be as forgiving.

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have the smart case for the Air and I am looking forward to it getting a bit worn. I wish they made it from full grain leather - so when the case ages a bit it will look better in my opinion.

Also, it is a case for protection, so as long as my Air is kept pristine then I am happy.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I assume you are talking about the official Apple smart case.

Do this... return it and buy one of the no-name 3rd party versions on Amazon for $15. The quality is pretty much the same... possibly even made in the same factory. (Just bought a MoKo branded case for $5 and if it wasn't stamped with that brand I couldn't tell the difference between it and a Belkin or Speck, or Griffin which sell the same case for much more $). But for 4.5x less cost than the Apple brand you won't feel compelled to justify your purchase by insuring it's 100% perfect.

Ultimately whatever case you buy Apple or otherwise is going to get worn and either look like carp or fall apart. So just buy cheap and rebuy as necessary and you can dump your guilt for paying $70 for POS case just b/c it has an Apple stamp on it.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Honestly, if you want a case that doesn't seem to age, leather isn't for you. This is why Apple went to poly for the new smart covers. My red Smart Cover on my ipad 4 is stained and discolored, but I expect, and in fact, desire that in leather. If you don't, you want another material.

7. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

What if it was $79.

8. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

So do all leather cases have wrinkle/crease lines?

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Have you ever seen a wrinkle free cow?

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

LOL! Good point. Don't know if the OP realizes leather is essentially dead cow skin. By its very nature it is not perfectly uniform or even. That would be one weird looking cow.

11. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

So other than rips which have obviously been made by a sharp object, all the crease lines, black dots etc are perfectly normal?

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

With leather you have two primary options. Finish it in a way so that it still feels like leather, but will mark and wear, or finish it so it looks perfect and is somewhat resistant to staining and marking, but it no longer feels like leather (think automotive seats). Apple chose the former option.

13. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

I think they chose the latter option for the 5s case.

14. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I have had 2 leather smart cases (returned the first one when I returned the iPad Air and the 2nd case is on my current iPad Air that is a keeper). Both cases were uniform in color with no rips, black spots or wrinkles. Both fit well with no overlap or inside showing. Call me OCD but I would return the ones you received. It's an expensive case and it should look great at least when new.

15. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

But then ill end up swapping multiple times. And won't all cases have some kind of issue as none are 100% perfect? These black spots are more like dots, and aren't these wrinkles normal for leather?

16. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

The cow had freckles and couldn't afford Botox. Move on.

17. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

If you put a case on today that has no spots or wrinkles, it will have one or both in six months. Relax and ignore the minor quirks on yours.

18. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

The only wrinkles mine had/have were in the groves between panels on the front and no black dots. I don't think anything is 100% perfect but you should be able to get a case you are happy with. Wrinkles that are part of the leather pattern wouldn't bother me, but black dots and cloth cover showing would. It shouldn't be hard to get a near perfect case - I think you were just unlucky the first 2 times. Getting a good screen on an iPad Air can be harder.

19. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

The only wrinkles mine had/have were in the groves between panels on the front and no black dots. I don't think anything is 100% perfect but you should be able to get a case you are happy with. Wrinkles that are part of the leather pattern wouldn't bother me, but black dots and cloth cover showing would. It shouldn't be hard to get a near perfect case - I think you were just unlucky the first 2 times. Getting a good screen on an iPad Air can be harder.

20. WilliamG macrumors 604

Um, I'm sorry, but that's not correct. Sure, the Apple case is not cheap, but it's LEAGUES nicer than the cheap Moko crap. The Moko crap is well priced for what it is - crap. I had one on my Nexus 7, and it did the job fine, but it certainly doesn't feel as nice in the hand as the Apple cases do, for iPhone 5/5s or iPad Air.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Ok, you keep telling yourself that if it makes you sleep better. But if you want a true quality high end case for your iPad then buy a Tumi or Vuitton or Dunhill case. The Apple cases are the same Chinese junk found for less but with a huge Apple markup to make people believe they are quality.

My Moko case feels every bit as good as a $60 folio from, say Belkin. I'm not a cheapskate but won't pay top $ for junk in a nice box.

22. WilliamG macrumors 604

I never said the Moko doesn't feel as good as a $60 (overpriced) case from Belkin. I'm just saying it doesn't feel as good as the Apple leather case, which is actually, - you know - leather, and isn't some crappy "leather"-ish material with adhesive to stick it to a plastic frame. That's what Moko/Poetic are. And I own them all!

And I sleep fine, thank you. :)

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If you want nice leather, check out Saddleback Leather. They haven't released their iPad 5 stuff yet, but THAT is the real deal. Their pouches for the previous iPads and iPad mini and iPhone are awesome.

24. WilliamG macrumors 604

Saddleback does make nice stuff. However, for those of us wanting something nice that doesn't take up a huge amount of room, and that leaves all the ports, buttons and edges of the iPad Air covered up while still feeling nice in the hand, the Apple Smart Case is still the best.

Not cheap. But definitely the best.

25. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

These creases. Are they meant to be part of the leather? I don't know much about leather so I'm not sure.

Attached Files: