Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
I'm looking for a beach vacation, leaving from any NYC airport between 12/24 and 12/31. I would like a decent hotel and to stay for as many days as possible. I don't really care where as long as it's somewhere I can where shorts and sandals, you know?

Any recommendations?

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I honestly think it may be very difficult to do. 500 bucks during peak travel season.

Vegas? Atlantic City?

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
A nude beach. Srs. Very cheap. Only costs a little personal dignity.

Seriously, if all you're after is a beach, in the purest sense, there are cheap spots in sleep in Astoria ad the Oregon coast is beautiful.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Unless you get down to south Florida or something, I think you'll need to leave the country to get to genuine shorts and sandals beach weather this time of year. And for $500 all in, you might be SOL.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i think that will be tough to achieve given it's peak travelling time. :(

try the usual online last minute deals. you might get lucky.

good luck!

btw, i don't blame you either. we went to jamaica last year after christmas and i'm really appreciating that trip now even more :)

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Clearwater Beach or Indian Rocks Beach, that area of the Gulf Coast of Florida. This is where I want to spend the rest of my life and be buried. I frakkin love LOVE it down there.

Attachments

• Clearwater Beach.jpg
    Clearwater Beach.jpg
    956.1 KB · Views: 42

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Clearwater Beach or Indian Rocks Beach, that area of the Gulf Coast of Florida. This is where I want to spend the rest of my life and be buried. I frakkin love LOVE it down there.

Oh wow, that's really bizarre! Is that like a one-off kind of place or what? Just I've never been to Florida so I don't know. It just looks like the houses and roads are floating above the water or whatever. Bet they're quite afraid of rising water levels down there :eek:.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC

My dad passed away a few years ago and we had his memorial service on Indian Rocks Beach(his request), and then took a boat out just off shore where we spread his ashes (also his request).

Sorry, back on topic; OP, did you check out Bermuda?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
The OP needs to fire up expedia or kayak or travelocity, etc and see what he can find for $500. We have no way of knowing unless we happen to live on a warm tropical beach and want to invite the OP down for a little R&R in exchange for $500.

Places that might work... Negril Jamaica. Miami, Florida, South West Coast of Florida.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Depending on when you'd like to go, Jetblue is currently offering $134 from JFK to Santo Domingo (DR), and $164 from JFK to St. Maarten.

Roughly $268 + taxes to the Dominican Republic, and $320 + tax to the Netherland Antilles.

I'm pretty sure rooms are cheap there, especially after the new year. If you're looking at anytime before, good luck.

BL.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
thanks for the advice guys, I almost bit on a good deal to florida last night but wasn't feeling good so didnt finish. then with the storm today all the flights after xmas skyrocketed in price :( Im still searching sidestep and orbitz but looks pretty bleak. I need some sun

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
another thing to look for are the "last minute specials" that a lot of the airlines and travel sites have. These are often only available for the upcoming weekend or the next one after that, and being flexible about your destination really helps. Sometimes the deals for these short notice purchases can be pretty good.

As an example, here's a link to American Airlines' travel site; last minute packages

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This time of year for that price is virtually impossible. Hope you find something......

Would it be bad for me to brag that I wore shorts and a t-shirt all day today?:cool:

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
My dad passed away a few years ago and we had his memorial service on Indian Rocks Beach(his request), and then took a boat out just off shore where we spread his ashes (also his request).

Sorry, back on topic; OP, did you check out Bermuda?

My condolances. Much later down the road I hope to do the same thing.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Oh wow, that's really bizarre! Is that like a one-off kind of place or what? Just I've never been to Florida so I don't know. It just looks like the houses and roads are floating above the water or whatever. Bet they're quite afraid of rising water levels down there :eek:.

Yeah, it's beautiful, isn't it? The softest sand there, almost like flour. I went on vacation when I was still active duty Navy and "almost" didn't come back. I've loved it ever since.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Newport Beach, CA :D (it's the home to NBA MVP Champion Kobe Bryant and it's located 1 mile from the 3rd safest city in america "IRVINE,CA")

thatguysmells

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Pandora
I'm looking for a beach vacation, leaving from any NYC airport between 12/24 and 12/31. I would like a decent hotel and to stay for as many days as possible. I don't really care where as long as it's somewhere I can where shorts and sandals, you know?

Any recommendations?

You can sleep in my backyard for 500 bucks. And you can see the ocean and hear the waves crash. :D

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Oh, and you can skip St. Thomas, USVI. Biggest dump of a ******** I've ever been and I've been 75% around the world. I won't ever EVER go back. The rudest people I've ever seen in my life. They make New Yorkers look like southern belle Georgian ladies.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Oh, and you can skip St. Thomas, USVI. Biggest dump of a ******** I've ever been and I've been 75% around the world. I won't ever EVER go back. The rudest people I've ever seen in my life. They make New Yorkers look like southern belle Georgian ladies.

can you recommend a place in the Caribbean that has easy flights out of JFK/LGA that's warm. (i went to Atlantis during Winter vacation, and it wasn't warm and also the Caymen islands in Feb. and was sitting on the beach freezing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.