can someone suggest a beach vacation for around $500?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chstr, Dec 18, 2009.

1. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I'm looking for a beach vacation, leaving from any NYC airport between 12/24 and 12/31. I would like a decent hotel and to stay for as many days as possible. I don't really care where as long as it's somewhere I can where shorts and sandals, you know?

Any recommendations?

2. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Maybe Cancun? You might find a deal there that could get you in around $500 total.

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I honestly think it may be very difficult to do. 500 bucks during peak travel season.

Vegas? Atlantic City?

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

A nude beach. Srs. Very cheap. Only costs a little personal dignity.

Seriously, if all you're after is a beach, in the purest sense, there are cheap spots in sleep in Astoria ad the Oregon coast is beautiful.

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Unless you get down to south Florida or something, I think you'll need to leave the country to get to genuine shorts and sandals beach weather this time of year. And for $500 all in, you might be SOL.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

i think that will be tough to achieve given it's peak travelling time. :(

try the usual online last minute deals. you might get lucky.

good luck!

btw, i don't blame you either. we went to jamaica last year after christmas and i'm really appreciating that trip now even more :)

7. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Clearwater Beach or Indian Rocks Beach, that area of the Gulf Coast of Florida. This is where I want to spend the rest of my life and be buried. I frakkin love LOVE it down there.

Attached Files:

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh wow, that's really bizarre! Is that like a one-off kind of place or what? Just I've never been to Florida so I don't know. It just looks like the houses and roads are floating above the water or whatever. Bet they're quite afraid of rising water levels down there :eek:.

10. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

My dad passed away a few years ago and we had his memorial service on Indian Rocks Beach(his request), and then took a boat out just off shore where we spread his ashes (also his request).

Sorry, back on topic; OP, did you check out Bermuda?

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

$500 ?? from NYC???

Jones Beach? Rockaway? Coney Island maybe? :p

12. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

The OP needs to fire up expedia or kayak or travelocity, etc and see what he can find for $500. We have no way of knowing unless we happen to live on a warm tropical beach and want to invite the OP down for a little R&R in exchange for $500.

Places that might work... Negril Jamaica. Miami, Florida, South West Coast of Florida.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Depending on when you'd like to go, Jetblue is currently offering $134 from JFK to Santo Domingo (DR), and $164 from JFK to St. Maarten.

Roughly $268 + taxes to the Dominican Republic, and $320 + tax to the Netherland Antilles.

I'm pretty sure rooms are cheap there, especially after the new year. If you're looking at anytime before, good luck.

BL.

14. chstr thread starter macrumors 6502a

chstr

thanks for the advice guys, I almost bit on a good deal to florida last night but wasn't feeling good so didnt finish. then with the storm today all the flights after xmas skyrocketed in price :( Im still searching sidestep and orbitz but looks pretty bleak. I need some sun

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

another thing to look for are the "last minute specials" that a lot of the airlines and travel sites have. These are often only available for the upcoming weekend or the next one after that, and being flexible about your destination really helps. Sometimes the deals for these short notice purchases can be pretty good.

As an example, here's a link to American Airlines' travel site; last minute packages

16. Surely Guest

Surely

This time of year for that price is virtually impossible. Hope you find something......

Would it be bad for me to brag that I wore shorts and a t-shirt all day today?:cool:

17. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

My condolances. Much later down the road I hope to do the same thing.

18. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Yeah, it's beautiful, isn't it? The softest sand there, almost like flour. I went on vacation when I was still active duty Navy and "almost" didn't come back. I've loved it ever since.

19. chstr thread starter macrumors 6502a

chstr

I checked it out but seems a little chilly this time of year

20. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Newport Beach, CA :D (it's the home to NBA MVP Champion Kobe Bryant and it's located 1 mile from the 3rd safest city in america "IRVINE,CA")

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

might be a little cold. I miss Jones beach.... (what about Zack's Bay :p) Summer please hurry up and arrivealready i'm sick of snow!!

22. thatguysmells macrumors regular

You can sleep in my backyard for 500 bucks. And you can see the ocean and hear the waves crash. :D

23. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Oh, and you can skip St. Thomas, USVI. Biggest dump of a ******** I've ever been and I've been 75% around the world. I won't ever EVER go back. The rudest people I've ever seen in my life. They make New Yorkers look like southern belle Georgian ladies.

24. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

can you recommend a place in the Caribbean that has easy flights out of JFK/LGA that's warm. (i went to Atlantis during Winter vacation, and it wasn't warm and also the Caymen islands in Feb. and was sitting on the beach freezing.