Can tethering fully replace a regular internet service? (i.e. MyWi )

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by javiwankenobi, Apr 13, 2011.

1. javiwankenobi macrumors member

I am moving places and debating wether or not sign up for internet service. I am thinking of buying a MyWi license, as I have an unlimited data plan on my iPhone 4. However, I dont know if MyWi can replace the functionality of a regular internet connection.

Can MyWi be a substitute for regular service? Or is it more for ocassional thetering at the park or coffee shop?

I would like to know everyone's 0.02 on this.

2. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

I believe max download is 20MB, so no... someone please fact check.

3. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

4. javiwankenobi thread starter macrumors member

I couldnt care less. Im about to have my first born child and If I can wave any bills that would be a huge help.

5. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

6. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

7. sbddude macrumors 6502a

This is for App Store apps, on the phone itself. There is no restriction when using MyWi.

In terms of using it for your main internet connection there are concerns:

1. It's against AT&T TOS to tether. Yes, you can get away with it, and there's the argument that bits are bits. It is what it is.

2. Speed. It's not going to be as fast or responsive, or reliable as a regular home internet connection (DSL or cable). Latency is much higher.

3. AT&T cracking down. AT&T has been sending warnings to high-volume unlimited data users in the last month or so. They are targeting those who are tethering and asking them to stop, or they will be put on the 4GB tethering plan automatically.

IMHO it's not worth it. If you can afford an iphone, you can afford basic DSL broadband at home. I've seen it as cheap as $10-15 per month.

8. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

You could try, but you'd probably get a message from AT&T asking you to either stop tethering or purchase a tethering plan.

Tuck

9. err404 macrumors 68020

Morality aside, it really depends upon your needs. Due to the latency, your browsing experience will be about the same as the lowest grade DSL. If that is enough for you, go for it.

Worst case, you get caught by ATT and may need to get landline service down the road. But even if you only get one month, you'll still save a bit for that month.

Doesn't hurt to try it out. If it's fast enough, ride it out as long as you can. Just be prepared to look for alternatives down the road.

10. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Okay guys. Why do you assume he is with AT&T? He could have Verizon, T-Mobile, or any carrier outside of the US. Just because you have AT&T, doesn't necessarily mean everyone has AT&T

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you need to save the money, but access is s l o w !

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Why does it matter? Stealing from one company is the same as stealing from another.

"MORALITY POLICE" ASIDE, the experience would be suboptimal at best. If all you intend on using it for is email, then it would be passable. However, if you have any intention of streaming Netflix to a PC or television, or any other higher bandwidth activities, you may be disappointed.

13. wordoflife, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  14. ap3604 macrumors 68000

A firstborn? Oh well if thats the case then I believe there's a convenience store down the street you could rob for cash :rolleyes:

Just make sure if you get caught by the cops to tell the judge the same thing. Having a firstborn child... couldnt care less about rules... etc

Btw just poking fun / giving you a hard time, don't mind me ;)

15. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Depending on your location and needs, it can and has worked for many. I would ecommend not using it for large gobs of data ie video streaming etc. If you want to download large files go get a latte at starbucks and do it there on free wifi. Use you mywi for things like surfing the web and emailing work etc and you'll be fine if you hav a decent connection. Good luck

16. javiwankenobi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone, I guess bottom line is that it's a slow connection and it would do ok for ocassional browsing, email checking, etc.

I would like to stream a movie or my series sometimes so Im guessing that would be a problem..

No AT&T/Verizon here, wich brings me to the morality issue:.. I am located in Mexico, there arent regulations (at least legal) at least tethering. So I dont know if it would be considered "ilegal". then again, we have the highest cost for wireless service in the world that how the owner of my provider (Telcel) got to be the richest person in the world, so I think I would be on the right side for the moral part.

17. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Oh no problem then, tether all you want man have fun :)

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

it's all about your needs... if you're just checking email, facebook, macrumors, etc- you won't come close to 4GB a month and you won't really need a lot of speed.

If you're downloading a lot of movies and music then not only will you hate how slow it is, you will hit that 4GB in no time and ATT will start nagging you to stop.

19. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

Thanks for the fact check!

20. JCCL macrumors 6502a

iOS 4.2 I think, enable tethering with Telcel. Here our plans are unlimited and tethering is free. However, I wouldn't use it as a main connection as tethering is really slow. Telcel is ****

21. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Oh mexico huh?

Yeah, you can tether all you want, I'm sure they wont tell you anything.

btw, how much is your monthly bill?

22. javiwankenobi thread starter macrumors member

LOL you All saying "Oh Mexico, knock yourself out" like we have no laws haha. Anyways. Its about a hundred bucks a month. 200 minutes included 10 free numbers to call OR text (only for the 1st five minutes tho, so everyone hangs up at 4:45) and 5 SMS included as long as my faves are in Telcel... Long distance counts as soon as you call to a different area code. I don't even wanna think what happens when you call a different carrier (nobody does it) Data is unlimited, 3G. iPhone is subsidized (is that the word?)

If there's a bright side, is that they don't count incoming calls or texts towards your limits. And I've never had a call drop. Reception is superior to all carriers I've had in the US

Other than that, yeah we getting ****ed .

23. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

wow- that sounds like the kind of plans we were getting hammered for a decade ago. At least your reception is good!

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Having tethered on mywi for about 3 hours in an airport, I have to say no way. I would not give up regular service for that. Not to mention, no decent internet - no work for me.