can the current gen rMBP drive a 4k display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dantastic, Jan 9, 2014.

1. dantastic macrumors 6502

dantastic

Like the title says. I have a current gen 15" retina MacBook Pro and I am in the market for a new display.

Can my laptop drive a 4k display or?

2. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

from what I have read Yes
    BUT right now it is limited to 30hz, which is fine for maybe watching a movie or just viewing pictures, but as soon as you need a mouse it feels laggy. However, if I remember right, this seems to be a software limitation and should get fixed soon. Furthermore I think I read that 60hz do work on windows (bootcamp)

edit: here you go http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/23/new-retina-macbook-pros-can-drive-4k-displays-at-60hz-when-running-windows-mac-os-needs-new-drivers/

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not fullly.

4. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

Kind of, not quite.

Read the specs, you'll be done faster.

5. GP20 macrumors member

So sounds like only the late 15 rMBP with dGPU will be able to drive a 4K display at 60Hz after Nvidia updates the driver, since, well obviously the Iris Pro won't be able to use Nvidia's drivers? Can anyone confirm?

6. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502

dantastic

Fortunately I have the Nvidia model so it's looking good.
    I'm not looking to run my desktop at rediculous resolutions anyway but I want the extra real estate. So I would be looking at a scaled resolution the same way I run my laptop screen. As in I run it scaled one step up from the retina resolution. I assume this will be the same for an external screen?

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Iris Pro can run 4k just as well (in theory or on Windows, I don't know about OSX).
    The late 2013 it must be because you need the Displayport 1.2 support. First Gen Thunderbolt (DP1.1) has not the bandwidth to run 4k at 60hz. Even the 13" of the newest gen can handle it because all Haswell chips have DP1.2. It has to do with the signal output not the graphics chip per se.

According to some anandtech remark, there are also some issues with the input processing of some of the first 4k displays.

8. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

If anyone would send me a 4K display I could try it on a Iris Pro only model :cool:

I don't know about the Macbook Pro, but according to Anands new Mac Pro review there are no scaled versions (downsample not upscaling) for 4k Displays yet. Read here

I guess this is one thing we need the Anandtech late 2013 rMBP review for, he is probably going to try it :)

9. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that the Iris Pro will be able to drive a 4k display. When you upscale the 15" rMBP display to 1920*1080, the GPU has to render at 4k and downscale to fit the 2880*1800 display.

Also, only DP 1.2 in Thunderbolt 2 can handle 4k at 60Hz at the moment since rMBPs don't have HDMI 2.0. It should work fine in windows, but in Mac, it's limited to 30Hz.

Raptor

10. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan