Can the iPad be Jailbroken?!

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by kdesign7, Feb 2, 2010.

1. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

Doesn't anyone think that the Apple iPad will be Jail Broken? Just curious.

I have a 8GB iPod Touch, and I jail broke that and one of the best apps to come from it is the BACKGROUNDER, which allows you to run multi apps. Works like a charm (for me anyways ) and also the ProSwitcher that can be added to the Backgrounder which gives the CARD style view of running applications.

The only reason I can think of off the top of my head as to why I'd want to have the iPad jail broken is for that reason - Multitasking Apps. I've come to enjoy it so much on my iPod, that I'd REALLY want it on the iPad. (very surprised it wasn't but then again, maybe with iPhone OS 4.0 it will be present *crosses fingers & toes and eyes*).

*** And for some that may respond with a negative attitude in the context that "I'd" want to jailbreak it to steal Apps and put them on the device, I see your point, but that's not my view. I'm not about ripping off developers. I pay for my apps, I just like the apps that are NOT available, that’s all. ***

:)

So, does anyone else out there, have a wishful hope that maybe someday, someone, will be able to Jailbreak the iPad - (That is, if said features aren't available with the new OS update) - and Im sure there are many many many other apps and features that would be implemented.)

= Side note =

Also, for the USB Camera-only 30-pin adapter, if the iPad was Jail Broken, could someone then write an App that will allow Access to that device and say, connect OTHER types of peripherals other than a digital Camera?! I dunno, maybe an external HD, Keyboard, Mouse, Printer, Jump sticks? anything really! :)

If someone Jail Broke the iPad, and say - Created a hardware device to resemble the iSight Lite+ design I've created (image below), could that someone, or anyone, then create 'Drivers' and then their own App to work with that device? Say... Someone implemented a way for the Skype App to Access the iSight??!?! Just very much curious, thats all - (And I dont mean SKYPE per say, just the idea of what Skype is... Video calling).

[​IMG]

Let me know your thoughts people! - This is a topic that I am VERY much curious in (Not just the Jail breaking aspect, but the 30-pin connection, and the many doors it potentially opens)

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Theoretically, since it runs the same iPhone OS, it is vulnerable to the Dev Team.

Real world wise, we have to see what kind of security measures Apple took on this one.

3. bossxii macrumors 68000

I would guess yes. It is the iPhone OS and every iPhone OS to date has been cracked. I don't really see how this will be different. This would open it up to such things as multitasking, which is avail for anyone via jailbreaking, as well as many other apps that may not be "Apple approved".

As for the devices you listed... they already support BT keyboards, they hinted towards wifi printing across all apps, as well as file sharing. Not sure a mouse would work since the OS doesn't have a pointer, no clue if the OS is hiding code for it but who knows. My iPad will spend very little time in it's dock, if at all. As for the camera, guessing Rev B. I don't think anyone is going to miss it until the "network" of all the carriers is on LTE and can actually handle streaming live video. 3g just doesn't cut it and enabling a few million devices that much 3g data is just asking for trouble, no matter what network your on currently.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1.0.0 was never cracked. It could be. But to date it has never been. All cracks and jailbreaks have been on OS 1.0.1 up. Remember, 1.0.0 disappeared 3 days after initial release of the iPhone.

5. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Actually I believe this can be done without jailbreaking. Apple introduced accessory support for apps in OS 3.0. See more here: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/accessories/

6. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

The exploit used in 2.0 also worked in 1.0, I do believe, although it's just about useless.

Of course in time there will be a jailbreak, but unless there's a new exploit in the OS, it'll probably be tethered only.

7. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

holy crap, I didnt even THINK about that! Thanks for the Link - and I believe that answers my question about that iSight concept, because it could.. work.

Neato!

:)

Now Im just hoping that when the iPad is released, and it doesnt have the onboard Camera, that some Company SNATCH up the idea and make it.. :)

Lets say... there are 1million iPads sold.

** the figures I mention about are completely made up and dont reflect a real situation, just a thought***

and say out of that 1million, 250,000 people buy the iSight adapter, and the adapter is priced at $42, thats $10,500,000... thats alot market money, dontcha think?!

8. bossxii macrumors 68000

I stand corrected :) Did not realize this fact, was still hypnotized by how the iPhone worked and the silly apps to even know what "jailbreaking" was back then lol.