Can the iPod touch answer iOS 8 phone calls?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by joshisaboss, Jun 3, 2014.

1. joshisaboss macrumors member

joshisaboss

Can the touch answer shared phone calls like the iPad and Mac can in iOS 8???

2. Trhodezy macrumors regular

Not to my knowledge, no. Sorry!

3. 617aircav Suspended

Nope. It can't make calls so how can it share calls.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

The iPad and Mac cannot make calls either.

However, there was no mention of it in the Keynote when they were talking about doing it with the other devices, so I am guessing it is not possible.

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole

The iPod Touch 5 certainly can make calls. We do it all the time with our texting app.

6. 617aircav Suspended

That's not considered a phone call in the normal sense.

7. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Let's see, I dial a number and reach the other party, who answers their phone.

To me, it's not a text, not an email - but a phone call.

8. 617aircav Suspended

And what cellular towers are you connected to? Apple's demo was clearly about cellular phone calls and not voip calls.

----------

It won't be possible with The iPod touch.

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

I wasn't responding to Apple's demo. I was responding to your statement that one can't make a call with an iPod Touch.

For what it's worth, we also use our iPads (cellular) for the same purpose.

10. ieatcake macrumors newbie

Clearly the original poster was referring to the new functionality in iOS 8 whereas either a Mac or an iPad was specifically mentioned as being able to make phone calls via their iPhone (assuming through some bluetooth / wifi method).

I think the question remains with the new functionality announced as part of the now in beta iOS 8 (see the keynote for details) whether or not via an iPhone an iPod touch will be able to make phone calls.

An answer from someone with an Apple developer account who has tested this phone call feature on an iPod touch would be appreciated.

Thanks!

11. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

According to the demo I think it will be possible. The iPhone is still making the call, the Mac, iPad, or iPod touch just act as a relay between your mouth and your iPhone. I think it'll work.

12. 617aircav Suspended

Isn't the OP referring to doing this with an iPod instead of iphone? I would think iPhone to iPod hand off would be pointless. Same size device.

13. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I think his question was based on what we saw in the keynote with a Mac answering a call that comes in on your phone. If your phone is charging in another room and a call comes in you could answer the call on your desktop or ipod or whatever.

14. 617aircav Suspended

I know. I'm saying seems pointless to handoff from a phone to another similar sized device. To the larger iPad and Mac it's makes sense.

15. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I think it will (only the iPod touch 5 or 6 if they make one) based on the Keynote we saw... If Apple wants to keep selling the Touch, they gotta make it attractive and not limit it too much... It appears Apple isn't done with the iPod touch yet since it will be able to update to ios8.

16. 617aircav Suspended

Apple is well known for withholding features on some devices. Nothing new.

17. Mad4potter macrumors newbie

I can definitely send text messages to non Apple devices with messages, cellphone calls via iPod appear to be supported through FaceTime but do not work yet

18. 617aircav Suspended

How can you make a cell phone call on an ipod?

19. Mad4potter macrumors newbie

It uses your iphone as relay when on same network.
    [​IMG]
    You can bring up a call from here or contacts, it does not matter
    [​IMG]
    right now it does not work (even though same wifi )
    [​IMG]
    you can change settings under facetime
    [​IMG]
    and this is the working sms on messages

20. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Thank you for confirming this! :) This is clearly what the OP was asking about, not if the iPod was suddenly capable of making phone calls on its own without an iPhone. :rolleyes:

21. 617aircav Suspended

According to Apple's ios page you can only answer calls on your iPad and Mac. No mention of The iPod.

----------

iPad and Mac, now answering the call.

Sometimes when your iPhone rings, it’s not where you are. Maybe it’s charging in another room. Or it’s buried in your backpack. But your Mac or iPad is sitting right there. Now you can make and receive phone calls on those devices as long as your iPhone running iOS 8 is on the same Wi-Fi network. Incoming calls show the caller’s name, number, and profile picture. Just click or swipe the notification to answer, ignore, or respond with a quick message. And making a phone call from your iPad or Mac is just as easy. Simply tap or click a phone number in Contacts, Calendar, or Safari. It all works with your existing iPhone number, so there’s nothing to set up.

22. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I think it would work. I can already make calls/send texts on my touch anyway.

23. 617aircav Suspended

That has nothing to do with iOS 8 handoff.

24. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

What Apple is doing is just their late to the game version of what lots if us have been doing with third party calling apps for years. iPod Touch5 has always been able to make telephone calls. Whether Apple wants to add their own lame version of it or withhold it because they think they're still king of the mountain is up to one of their pointyhairs.

25. 617aircav Suspended

Why would anyone need to handoff from an iPhone to an iPod touch.