Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
Wrong. Try to find a 4GB DDR3 (not PC-5300 DDR2) kit that fits the MB Alu for under $150. You won't. Usually, when Apple utilizes a *new* tech standard (like DDR3 over DDR2) the prices are pretty good since an Apple technician does this for you. But after some time, the prices drop (think HDD and the newer SSD). Apple doesn't bother making money from small trivial details like RAM memory; they focus on the bigger stuff like sales of notebooks or desktops.

Again that is wrong. The MBP has 2 (two) graphic cards, one integrated (the weaker 9400M), and the discrete (much more powerful 9600M GT). The MB only has one integrated, the 9400M. I know you can only use one card at a given time, but the 9600 card is much more powerful than the puny 9400. Don't be fooled. There is still a huge difference in the video/graphics performance.

I wonder how many people actually forget to turn "on" the discreet card?

nkllr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Michigan
Wrong. Try to find a 4GB DDR3 (not PC-5300 DDR2) kit that fits the MB Alu for under $150. You won't. Usually, when Apple utilizes a *new* tech standard (like DDR3 over DDR2) the prices are pretty good since an Apple technician does this for you. But after some time, the prices drop (think HDD and the newer SSD). Apple doesn't bother making money from small trivial details like RAM memory; they focus on the bigger stuff like sales of notebooks or desktops.

Alright, It took me 30 seconds, http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S4GP/

And If you just want to prove people wrong in this thread then get out:mad::mad:

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island

Actually, not true. You can get OWC RAM for half the price of Apple.

Again that is wrong. The MBP has 2 (two) graphic cards, one integrated (the weaker 9400M), and the discrete (much more powerful 9600M GT). The MB only has one integrated, the 9400M. I know you can only use one card at a given time, but the 9600 card is much more powerful than the puny 9400. Don't be fooled. There is still a huge difference in the video/graphics performance.

I'm not so sure I would call the difference between the uni MB's and MBP's huge anymore. A difference, certainly, but the gap between the 2 is much narrower than days past. Especially if you pit the 2.4 ghz models against each other. Macworld Bencmarks.

boomerang

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
ram

can you run cs4 on a macbook with only 1gb ram? the whole suite.i get this annoying blanks installer alert pop up and im wondering whether it is a ram issue! thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.