Can the smart cover become demagnetised

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by harry20larry, Mar 27, 2011.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I like to remove my case a lot, since when I used the iPad whilst holding it the case seems a but of a drag.
    By removing it and putting it back on a lot got me thinking would the case or the iPad start to become demagnetised causing loss in strength or total functionality?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, magnets last for about 400 years before they start to loose their attraction abilities.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No. They should be fine for a long, long time (like 100-1000's years). Even longer when they are attached to another magnet. (I'm assuming they're using neodymium magnets.)

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

As opposed to Apple geeks who never even had them. ;)

5. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

you'll be long, long dead before this happens. your ipad with smart cover will be dug from the ground and put into a museum showing how primitive man once communicated with others... long before the magnets lose their magnetism.

people need to worry about real things, in the near future.. like put the ipad down for a few minutes and go for a walk to avoid heart disease.

6. deeesea macrumors 6502

I was under the impression the magnet was inside the ipad as opposed to on the smart cover....much like how the magsafe "magnet" is inside the laptop and not on the tip of the adapter

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is a magnet in both the Smart Cover and the iPad 2.

8. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular