Can the Taptic Engine wake you up?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by NostromoUK, Apr 19, 2015.

1. NostromoUK macrumors regular

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I wondered whether the haptic feedback can be set to work with the alarm to wake you up ..if it can, will the vibration be strong enough? Anyone know?

2. killawat macrumors 65816

Have you experienced it at a try on appointment? Its really hard to explain. I think it'll be sufficient for all but the heaviest sleepers.

3. NostromoUK thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. No, I have pre-ordered without an appointment and I do wonder how heavy the vibration is.

I'm quite a light sleeper, so if it can be set for alarms I'll be very happy.

4. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I wouldn't trust it to wake me up, but I can be a really heavy sleeper, especially if I haven't had enough sleep.

5. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

if you plan to sleep with your watch on, when do you plan to charge it?

6. killawat macrumors 65816

if you have an iphone 6, I would say its about 1.5x as powerful as the motor there, but centralized to your wrist and absolutely silent. I only felt the taptic notifications twice during the demo loop thought.

7. NostromoUK thread starter macrumors regular

Good point! Maybe a few hours just before I go to sleep :confused:

Great, that seems a lot stronger than I imagined it to be.

8. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

The strength is also adjustable. I don't know how many levels there are but I was told during my appointment when she ran the demo that you can alter the intensity.

9. NostromoUK thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Lee, good to know.

I could have sworn I read an interview months ago with Jonny Ives mentioning that the watch woke him up leaving his partner to sleep silently, but have not heard any mention of this since.

10. madsci954 macrumors 68030

After my try on today, I found the taptic vibrations to be weak compared to the vibrations found I the Fitbit Flex. Might not be strong enough, but if you can adjust the intensity, as others have said, then it should be fine.

11. NostromoUK thread starter macrumors regular

12. wit4breakfast macrumors member

I don't think the battery life is good enough, or that it charges fast enough, to make this practical as an alarm clock.

13. simsdaniel macrumors regular

This sadly. Even if I were to charge the battery before sleep, as the display pops on every time I toss & turn in sleep, the battery would probably be impacted before the day even starts therefor it may not make it till days end.

To sum it up, yes the Apple Watch can wake you up but it's not practical to use the wake up feature. Maybe in the next version.

It's disappointing because having an alarm that won't wake anyone else up around you sounds like it would be a fantastic feature.

14. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Apparently it charges from 16% to full in an hour and a half, according to the review by Lance Ulanoff. If you wake up an hour and a half before you have to leave for work, you might be able to pull it off.

15. Dhonk macrumors member

not sure that I'm going to sleep with it on, but I plan on charging it on my commute. 40 minutes each way, and it can charge off one of the USB ports next to my iPhone 6.

16. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

Hmm what about instead of an alarm, someone made some kind of a nodoze app, where if it detects you falling asleep, it gives you a tap. Something for college students/long drives, that kind of thing. Not sure if the heart rate would be able to detect something like that. I know they made an earpiece version of this only it detected your head actually falling so that wouldn't work on the watch.

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Watch wouldn't wake me up if it dropped 50 pounds of bricks on my wrist... I'm a heavy sleeper lol.

18. wit4breakfast macrumors member

Maybe for someone else. That's when I work out.

The apple website states:

0-80% 1.5hr
    0-100% 2.5hr

19. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

2 hours before he goes to bed perhaps?

----------

I wouldn't call it vibration! It just doesn't feel like vibration.

20. Cuyler, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

Cuyler macrumors 6502

The watch wakeup feature was actually demoed back in the 1966 movie Our Man Flint:

21. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

It would need to administer electric shocks to wake me up.

23. jallenclark macrumors regular

I plan on doing this. I will charge it while I am sitting at my computer working. I don't need the watch notifications when I am at my computer to deal with all of them.

24. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

Just get one of those $2 Chinese AC adapters...

25. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

In my experience during the try-on I could barely feel it, at least during the little demo running. In fact it was so light that I questioned whether or not it even tapped me. Anyone else notice this?