Can the United States win the World Cup?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by arwor16, Jun 10, 2010.

1. arwor16 macrumors newbie

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think that it is highly unlikely that the US will win the World Cup.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hey, we beat Spain....who was like the best team in the world and hung with Brazil so we are capable

Now just imagine how good the US would really be if it weren't for the allure of basketball, football, hockey on the US's great athletes lol

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Yes, they can. Any team in the tournament has the chance to win it.

But will they win it? No, they won't.

6. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

No. Because Americans don't care about soccer. First piece of evidence? We call it Soccer.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hahaha, I remember when we beat Spain. My manager is from Spain and we were giving him **** all day about it. I hope we beat Spain again so we can give him more :D

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Not in 2010.

One thing that might be the key difference from the USA team to others, is how the level of the national team has evolved for good.

It will getting better and better.

It is still many years away to get to a natural level like in Brazil (which I consider the best of all), where anywhere you go there are plenty of people playing on the streets anytime of the year.

The US has the capability and the technical knowledege to develop super athletes, but for having real natural football players, it still has to have more kids interested in playing it with passion.

Mexico for example has all the passion, sometimes even more intense than what you might see in other countries, even they have some good players, they are not even close to the level of the traditional finalists, plus the physical conditions are not in their favor. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

As mentioned above, when they stop calling it soccer and really playing it with passion like in any other sport, US will have a chance.

Spain has always been considered one of the favorites, and if we talk about passion, they have it....well....they never get anywhere in the world cup, let us see what happens now.

Good luck, and have fun!

Watch Shakira's video meanwhile:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xn7_Hs5slY

9. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I think the Cubs have a better chance at winning the World Series (within the next 200 years) than the U.S. winning the World Cup.

10. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

3rd place yes...... Final no...... They have Netherlands, Brazil, Spain as top contenders.....one of those 3 will be in the final...

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What he said!

12. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Bollocks to Australia,if we are entering fantasy land the Socceroos will be defeated 6-5 by the All Whites (not perhaps the best name for a football team playing in S.A.).

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It's definitely unlikely, but so was the US beating the USSR at Lake Placid in 1980.

The best thing about sports is anything can happen.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Does anyone know what time the US/England game is on? I was looking through my program guide and couldn't find it on ESPN.

16. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

2:30pm EST is what I heard, could be wrong.

And to answer the original question: Can they? Yes. Will they? No.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks, found it, you were right, 2:30 EST. It's on ABC, not ESPN, in case anyone else is looking for it. That's why I couldn't find it, I thought all the games were on ESPN.

18. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Team USA's overall skill level is not up to Spain, Portugal, Brazil, England, France, etc etc. Very unlikely but have fun watching other teams play too!

19. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

The US - probably not.

England - We've done it once before, but this world cup no way. Not that I really care, F1 and motor racing is better :D

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

ABC spent a nice little penny for exclusive rights to US games... not likethye care for the whole tournament.

21. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Yes there is a chance. We saw that when the USA beat Spain at the confederations cup (Spain was ranked #1 at the time) and they almost beat Brazil if they didn't crack under pressure at the end. One team can beat another team at any sport on any given day. Now is it likely that the USA will win the world cup? Definitely not, but the possibility is still there.