Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montblanc1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Hi, dear:

Recently there's a video on Apple Official Website named"iPad+Velcro".

Notice that in this video, the ipad used for navigation is the wifi version (no black frame founded), and the owner just launched the Maps apple to navigate, which is incredible!

How did he do that?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The same way the iPod Touch knows where you are. It looks for local WiFi and ask Apple where these WiFi hotspots are then it get a general picture. Google "skyhook wifi".

montblanc1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
The same way the iPod Touch knows where you are. It looks for local WiFi and ask Apple where these WiFi hotspots are then it get a general picture. Google "skyhook wifi".

so all we need is to have a car with wifi, right?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
so all we need is to have a car with wifi, right?

In theory, yes. But, if the iPad can only see that one mobile WiFi hotspot you'll get bad results. It needs to see at least two hotspots that are stationary. Also WiFi location isn't as accurate as GPS and should never be used for driving directions.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I had a pilot tell me that a pilot friend of his was taking his iPad in a small airplane and navigating with it. I did not have time to ask questions but I assume his iPad was picking up GPS, but maybe it was picking up cell towers. Any thoughts on this?

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I had a pilot tell me that a pilot friend of his was taking his iPad in a small airplane and navigating with it. I did not have time to ask questions but I assume his iPad was picking up GPS, but maybe it was picking up cell towers. Any thoughts on this?

It must be a 3G model - no pilot (not even a half-assed PPL holder) would trust navigation purely to WiFi and cell tower triangulation because of their unreliability. You'd also have to fly pretty low and only over densly poplated areas in order to get any useful signals. In some countries that's liable to get you shot down (e.g. the U.S.). For car navigation this means the instant you enter an area without enough signals (e.g. an industrial estate, farming areas etc.) then you're screwed. The WiFi service is, in my opinion, useful only as a supplement to looking around and reading the road signs (at which point you may as well use standard paper maps).

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
OK, If we buy the 3G version will the GPS operate without a data plan? It would be nice if the GPS is separate from the AT&T modem portion.

Cheers,

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
OK, If we buy the 3G version will the GPS operate without a data plan? It would be nice if the GPS is separate from the AT&T modem portion.

Yes, The GPS can work without a data contract. But you'll need WiFi to load the Google maps for the Maps app.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Cheers,

According to this link the ipad uses both GPS and cell towers in the 3G version. Therefore I would imagine you'll get navigation without a data plan but I'd still check it out. I don't use navigation on my phone, but what I've been told, it's better to purchase a Tom Tom/Garmin program for better directions while driving. Maps along with driving instructions are built in.

Be wary if you are using a phone for navigation without a data plan. We have Sprint Incognito phones without a data plan. My wife cranked up the GPS feature and got charged an extra $75 for that month when the data download charges capped out.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
According to this link the ipad uses both GPS and cell towers in the 3G version. Therefore I would imagine you'll get navigation without a data plan but I'd still check it out. I don't use navigation on my phone, but what I've been told, it's better to purchase a Tom Tom/Garmin program for better directions while driving. Maps along with driving instructions are built in.

Be wary if you are using a phone for navigation without a data plan. We have Sprint Incognito phones without a data plan. My wife cranked up the GPS feature and got charged and extra $75 for that month when the data download charges capped out.

Since I already own the TomTom App I could transfer it to the iPad and since it provides the maps I wouldn't need the data plan because unlike google it doesn't download maps on the fly.

Is that your understanding?

Cheers,

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
...except the iPad searches the Skyhook network and triangulates you automatically so... what's your point?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Since I already own the TomTom App I could transfer it to the iPad and since it provides the maps I wouldn't need the data plan because unlike google it doesn't download maps on the fly.

Is that your understanding?

Cheers,

That would be my unconfirmed understanding. :)

As a side note, I don't see the iPad as a good fit for city pedestrian navigation cause it is to big. Your phone and it's built in navigation would work better. I see the iPad primarily used for driving and hence the paid navigation apps would be a must imo.

So can you or anyone tell me how much it costs to update the maps for the tomtom or garmin apps on the ipad? Or do they update without charges? I'm comparing to a dedicated tom tom which costs about $90 to get a new map for the U.S. Thanks!

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
That would be my unconfirmed understanding. :)

As a side note, I don't see the iPad as a good fit for city pedestrian navigation cause it is to big. Your phone and it's built in navigation would work better. I see the iPad primarily used for driving and hence the paid navigation apps would be a must imo.

So can you or anyone tell me how much it costs to update the maps for the tomtom or garmin apps on the ipad? Or do they update without charges? I'm comparing to a dedicated tom tom which costs about $90 to get a new map for the U.S. Thanks!

I have the tomtom on my iphone 4 and they just periodically update the maps. Traffic is a annual subscription (never works for me but I do travel in a lot of smaller communities).

If GPS is important get the 3G iPad.

considering it but don't want to pay AT&T. Just use the GPS.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.