Can this be legit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chachawpi, Feb 8, 2009.

1. chachawpi macrumors member

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Lots of spelling and grammatical errors, that usually scares me for some reason.

If it seems to good to be true, it probably is...

3. chachawpi thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I noticed that as well. The guy has perfect feedback, but he could easily of been hacked. Checking his past feedback, he did sell a $2000 HDTV for really cheap and the buyer left positive feedback. Could be a buildup for a scam though.

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. How can they knock $600 off and have free shipping? The guy has decent feedback, but my spider sense is tingling.

5. chachawpi thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't make any sense unless they fell off (or are going to fall off) a truck.

Normally I wouldn't be interested in a notebook. I am ultimately looking to purchase a 2009 Mac Pro. I currently have the 3.06 GHz iMac and hope to get as much as I can for it before its value drops. I was thinking an interim aluminum Macbook Pro would be a good stopgap while I wait for the 2009 Mac Pro announcement. Worst case scenario I could just file a dispute?

6. bugout macrumors 6502a

The second red flag would the guy doesn't accept paypal...

To pay for your purchase open your email and use the ebay "Congratulations, you have won..." notification soon after you select to buy this 17" Apple MacBookPro.

If you use a CC you won't lose anything though.. just file a dispute or chargeback..

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What kind of seller pays for return shipping. :confused:

8. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

You know what they say, if it's too good to be true, you'll come home one day and she'll be gone, having taken all the good furniture and the TV, and without leaving a note.

Wait that's not it… If it's too good to be true, then it probably is. There we go.

9. HarleyMan macrumors member

HarleyMan

10. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

The 17" unibody is not even available from Apple for another four weeks. By the time you try to get your money back he will be off to another scam. I'm sure the shipping address will be Nigeria, Brooklyn or anywhere the Western Union operates. Buyer beware!

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for a Mac that's not even being sold at the Apple Store or the Apple Online Store; and how can he have (9) of them?...:eek:

But, I would like to be the first on my block to have one, before they are all GONNE!!!

12. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Thats what all the suckers of the scams say to themselves, so don't be a sucker! You can't rely on feedbacks alone. Look at other factors like not accepting paypal, and especially don't think your cc will back you up 100%, its not a guarantee especially on a high price item.

13. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

It's a scam! The thing can't even run Leopard!! It's only 3MHz :p

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

This is not rocket science.

Only possibilities are (for new items):

Powerseller sells them for very small profit . This means MBP's (unibody 15") for NO LESS than $1629. (otherwise it's a scam...period)

So, going by that, I would imagine $300 off what Apples sells the 17" for.

Other wise it's a scam (not to mention they lied about stock...not a good sign eh?)

The used market of course is different. You can conceivably get things for almost nothing :D

15. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Could be legit? Its only $200 less than the best deal I have been able to find. I wouldn't go near it myself but use your credit card at least your protected that way.

16. Fgozalo macrumors member

It is probably a scam. But I can think of something else too. Maybe he has an ADC Premier Memership Account, which means he gets HUGE discounts for hardware purchases (10 units a year), and although prohibited by the Agreement, he might be selling the machines. The base model of the MacbookPro 17" is around $2,239.00 + tax if applicable. See, it sounds crazy, but it does make sense.

Just speculating though.

Ps: Sorry about my English proficiency, not my native language, nor second.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even if the seller had an ADC discount:
    1) It would require the seller to be a Premier member to get the 10 discounts; this also means they probably make enough money (hopefully) to not have to worry about selling computers to make up for the difference.
    2) It still won't explain why he got prereleased computer.

18. Fgozalo macrumors member

True, but if properly executed, the Premier account may have been acquired by "pre" selling products like these. Pure spectulation, but you do have to agree there's sense in it.

19. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Seller doesn't say anywhere that there in stock or when it will ship. It just says 8 available......but available when?

20. bugout macrumors 6502a

21. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

22. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

When you think about it, we are now in 2009 and people are still falling for these scams...it is simply human nature, stop, think, resist the scam.

23. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

The guy seemed legit prior to the MBP sales. Maybe something happened to him..

24. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Good job eBay! All that feedback AND I reported the auction as fraudulent because the item wasn't released yet. He still managed to sell all of them. Tsk tsk.

25. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I almost bought one just to what would have happened. If it was a scam my card protects me and if was legit I would have gotten the MBP. :D

Whoever he or she was just made over seven grand! Of course ebay now holds anything over like $150 for 21 days.