Can this potentially damage my phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jembo, Jul 15, 2009.

1. jembo macrumors newbie

I've noticed that when my 3gs is placed near my computer monitor or other electronics such as my basic alarm clock, I'll hear a clicking/buzzing sound coming from the phone about 2 or 3 seconds before i receive a text. Can this interference or whatever it is with other electronics potentially harm the phone in any way?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No.

Unless the sound is annoying enough for the phone to receive the wrath of the person being annoyed... ;)

3. jmitch150 macrumors regular

jmitch150

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Nah, don't worry about it. That's common with lots of phones and electronic equipment.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That's the GSM interference buzz that you get from unshielded amplifiers and/or connected cables when a GSM phone is talking to the cell network.

It's normal, but very annoying.

6. jd125p macrumors newbie

jd125p

True

7. outphase macrumors 65816

A 3G-based connection typically doesn't have this issue. This mostly occurs when you are on EDGE/GPRS.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, completely normal. While annoying, it can be handy. :) As my roommate had crappy speakers and would start making a noise 1-2 seconds before my iPhone would go off telling me I had a text/call. I would hear the noise coming from the speakers and get up to grab my phone as I knew the phone would go off. :D

And yes, this only happens on EDGE. It didn't make the noise when it was on 3G.

9. frunze macrumors member

Makes the noise for me with 3G/wi-fi. I never do mind the little things, though.

10. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

I had the same thing happen when at work and sometimes at home with me creative pc speakers. I always knew when my phone was about to ring. My friends never seem to notice the noise first so they thought i was crazyeverytime i got up before the phone rang... :D

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Just to clarify for you, it's coming from equipment around your iPhone, not the iPhone itself.

12. calvy macrumors 65816

Same here. I normally sit by a TV down in my basement and leave my phone right next to it. Every so often, if real close, it gives me the GSM buzz. I rarely am on EDGE.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Absolutely, and if you put the phone too close to your reproductive organ, you could be sterilized.