Can Verizon Do Data & Voice at the same time like AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I thought they were not able to do this, but someone with a S4 said they can, just not the iPhone?

Is this true?

2. 869639 macrumors 6502

It is true with some of the android phones, however it is not possible with iPhone.

Samsung designed the S4 for Verizon specially with multiple antennas so it can handle that and have two active radio's at the same time.

Apple was not able to implement it as the iPhones already have two antenna's, it would require a 3rd one in order to make two radio's active at the same time...requiring the iPhone design to be altered.

3. rockitdog macrumors 68020

You can talk and browse the web or use data on an iphone if you are on a Wi-Fi connection.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not for iPhones at least (not counting being on WiFi at the same time).

6. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Pretty much every current phone sold by Verizon other than the iPhone can do data and voice at the same time on both 3g and LTE. Apple for some stupid reason cheaped out and didn't implement svdo. (allows simultaneous 3g cdma voice and data) Even worse is they didn't even implement being able to do LTE data and voice at the same time which even phones without svdo can do such as the galaxy nexus and the original droid razr.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Folks, the original iPhone could do wifi data plus a phone call. I am nearly 100% sure that is not what the OP is referring it.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can pretty much see why in one of the first replies in the thread.

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Apple cheaped out because why would they wast space and money on something that a small amount of users would need? Verizon is the ones cheeping out with their outdated network.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

At this point (and at least for a little while) the push is to go forward, which is essentially VoLTE, so once that is available (which is hopefully closer and closer and is in the somewhat near future) things of this nature shouldn't be an issue anymore.

11. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Verizon still mostly uses CDMA, then? In Canada our two former CDMA carriers (Telus and Bell) have moved over to GSM - primarily because of the iPhone, imo. They were losing too many customer to Rogers because of it.

Verizon kind of stands out in that regard in NA, then, being the only big carrier using CDMA technology.

12. xcrunner macrumors regular

Well Sprint and some regional carriers use it, but they're not that great. This will all be moot, though as everyone moves to LTE - a GSM tech.

13. C DM, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

VZW is CDMA (for voice and data) and now LTE as well (for data). They are the largest US (perhaps North American) carrier though with about 120 million subscribers currently. Sprint, another one of the larger ones, also uses CDMA.

Certainly not as easy if not practically impossible to change things with so many users, with the only realistic possibility is to introduce newer technologies (like LTE and all that comes with it), while slowly phasing out support for older technologies that a lot of people still use and will still use for years to come.

Overall all are moving to LTE for everything (voice and data) some sooner and some perhaps a little later.

14. cynics, Feb 18, 2014

cynics macrumors G3

Can Verizon Do Data & Voice at the same time like AT&T?

Most of the competition phones need to be on LTE to do voice and data. If they are in a 3G only area they won't have data with voice. iPhone is completely handicapped here though.

Only a very select few phones could do voice and 3G on Verizon (SVDO). Like the HTC Thunderbolt and Rezound. I read Verizon is or has phased that support out in favor of their LTE network. Or manufactures see how big Verizon's LTE network is and don't want to waste the time and money messing with SVDO.

Some people don't even notice or just don't care. I find it very frustrating at times but I've learn to deal with it. I'm on my phone more then most people though.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

Nope. Just another one of the numerous shortcomings of CDMA networks.

16. blackhand1001, Feb 18, 2014
  17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

This...CDMA is the oldest than GMA. :apple:

18. cynics macrumors G3

For an iPhone at least.

The competitors phones can do voice and LTE. A GSM smartphone (including iPhone of course) drops off LTE and back to HSPA(+) during a voice call.

19. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

When I moved overto a Galaxy Note 3 from a IP5 I was shocked to discover I had simultaneous voice and data again. Been on Verizon for several years but hadn't used anything but iDevices in some time.

Even the older iPhones on AT&T do simultaneous voice plus data. Always surprised Apple was fine taking away features on only one carrier.

Bigger issue is still how call waiting and three way calling works on Verizon. Still horribly broken compared to AT&T.

20. C DM, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

It's mostly a CDMA limitation rather than the phone, although with LTE more phones are allowing for it on Verizon. In the case of the iPhone Apple made a call for smaller size and perhaps better battery usage by not putting in an extra radio that would be needed for this on a CDMA network while not being necessary on a GSM network.

Everyone has their own needs of course, but having been with Verizon for over a decade I actually don't recall an instance where I was limited by that somehow. But again it can certainly be different for others based on their usage and needs.

As for three way calling and call waiting, they all work just fine on Verizon.

21. cynics macrumors G3

GPS navigation is a big one for me. If I'm on my iPhone driving (hands free) or a passenger using GPS it's annoying that when it reroutes it will just keep saying "Rerouting" until you end the phone call.

Looking forward to VoLTE one day.

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You can use a nav app with locally stored map data if that's an issue.

23. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

But on an iPhone on VZ you can not call and browse at the same time, only other devices, this is what I was trying to confirm.

24. cynics macrumors G3

You can. Cheaper just to hang up and call someone back though. Just annoying.

25. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

I had an original iphone and TBH I don't remember if it did or not cause edge was so damn slow id get tired of talking before my search came back, but all of this is a moot point because the OP is asking about iphones on Verizon and the original iphone was only on AT & T