Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Can Verizon Do Data & Voice at the same time like AT&T?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I had an original iphone and TBH I don't remember if it did or not cause edge was so damn slow id get tired of talking before my search came back, but all of this is a moot point because the OP is asking about iphones on Verizon and the original iphone was only on AT & T

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying here...

A bunch of folks are responsding with "you can have data and voice at the same time if on wifi"

That has always been the case. ALWAYS. CLEARLY the OP is NOT asking about wifi here... which is qhy I point out how silly it is for people to even be mentioning it.

EDGE does not support voice+data simultaneously, for what it's worth.

Comment

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Yes the phone chipset has to support it and it has to have the applicable antenna. In the iPhone's case for the last few models the chipset supports it but they didn't hook up the applicable antenna for it to work. It probably slows them down to make a model specifically to support verizon's setup. VoLTE should fix this problem as long as you have a LTE signal.

Comment

NedSchneibly

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but if you're talking to somebody else on an iPhone then, actually you can!!!! (Just use FaceTime audio to talk). Or, if they have a non-iPhone, use Google Voice. Since neither of those activate voice, & are in essence VOIP apps, they do not block you from using data.

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but if you're talking to somebody else on an iPhone then, actually you can!!!! (Just use FaceTime audio to talk). Or, if they have a non-iPhone, use Google Voice. Since neither of those activate voice, & are in essence VOIP apps, they do not block you from using data.

Google voice is not VOIP, it still uses your phones minutes and cell service.
Google talk I think does what you mentioned as a voip setup.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.