Can We Consider Apple Newsstand to be Crapware?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by SomeDudeAsking, Oct 8, 2012.

1. SomeDudeAsking, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Newsstand is all about foisting something into your face (sorta like an ad) to make you buy magazine subscriptions. There is no way to get rid of it. It seems to me that it is bundled crapware in iOS. The only reason it is there is to make you spend more money.

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

If you don't use it, then stick it away in a folder where it won't bother you.

I use it, and enjoy it. BTW - I think you meant "subscriptions".

3. urkel macrumors 68030

It actually does fit the definition. Persobally, i dont mind it BUT if a news app that is undeletable was on any other device it would be called bloatware so why not judge it the same on iOS devices? I have mine set to the last page but I'd prefer to just delete it.

----------

You can't. That the problem.

4. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

You can't put Newsstand in a folder. It is preloaded with no way to uninstall it or hide it. It just takes up space like an ad that never goes away.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Shame that, without hacks, you can't "stick it away in a folder where it won't bother you."

On the iPhone, Newsstand is (for most people) crapware.... but, on the iPad (which uses the same iOS), it's extremely useful and used by most.

6. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

On the iPad, it is still bundled bloatware designed to sell you magazine subscriptions. Why do you say that it is "used by most"? Do you have stats?

7. urkel macrumors 68030

I'd like to challenge the claim that Newstand is used by most iPad users. ;)

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

It should either be a downloadable app with the "newsstand store" built in, like iBooks and the iBookstore.

Or magazines/newspapers should just be integrated into iBooks.

9. imacken macrumors 65816

For a lot of people, like myself, Newsstand is a major aspect of iOS. It keeps together most of my newspaper and magazine subscriptions in one place, and downloads new editions automatically.
    Couldn't live without it!

10. JoeyCloverfield, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

Newsstand is useful to those who use it. What Apple should do is give us a "Only show when Newsstand Apps are installed" option. Same for Passbook.

11. Cripps macrumors regular

12. nickn macrumors 6502

1., So you couldn't put all of your media apps in a separate folder all together?
    2., Does newsstand auto download content over cellular networks? I could see some people blowing through their 250MB from ATT real quick from that without knowing.

13. rMacBookPro macrumors member

You can still put it in a folder with this program (no jailbreak required, works on all devices).

Attached Files:

14. Russiaone macrumors 6502

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

source on that?

hasnt been my experience at all

----------

except that doesnt work unfortunately

16. waw74 macrumors 68030

as is the app store.
    as is the iTunes store.

although granted those can be put into a folder.

Just because you don't use them, doesn't mean other people don't.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok?

just make it an option to hide them is all lol

18. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

They should just give us the option to hide any of the default apps (except Settings, obviously). It's not like they haven't done it before: in the Nike+ settings you can choose to show or hide the app.

Just add a settings page with all the apps listed and a toggle next to each.

19. rMacBookPro macrumors member

Well, it worked on my second try. I shutdown, plugged in my iphone to my computer, started it up, and as soon as it was recognised I hit the "Hide Newsstand" Button.

20. irDigital0l Guest

Honestly Newsstand would be a lot better if the actual news apps were good.

Some of them have the ********* UI ever making it hard to enter your info, tons of error messages, etc.

Plus Newsstand obviously wasn't designed for the iPhone...it was for the iPad.

21. imacken macrumors 65816

Where do you stop? Might as well have all apps with a hide/show option.

22. Appleseeds macrumors regular

Do you have stats to the contrary?
    The only stat I see lately and in the past is you coming in here and slamming iOS or Apple for something.
    What I would really like to see is SomeDudeAsking less and less inane dumb topics.

23. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

By the pure power of my will I managed to ignore the icon and not buy any subscription. It takes most of my daytime to keep up that willpower and often I have nightmares where I am forced to open the app and subsriptions are coming at me to get my soul. But it is worth it to resist. Every single day I don't buy a subscription it is a small victory. Apple, your evil plan has not worked out...yet! MUST...RESIST...TO...OPEN...NEWSSTAND...MUST...TURN...MY...EYES...AWAY...FROM...ICON

24. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Am I understanding this right..? So instead of the News stand icon being there it creates a new folder called magic? Can that be renamed? Seems pointless to replace one icon with another if you cant.

25. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

Agreed. I meant that my idea is the least Apple could do.