Can we have a video button?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by chrono1081, Sep 16, 2012.

1. chrono1081, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi Arn and Mods,

Is it possible to get a video button added to the post menu? I know there's a way to embed video in a post with tags but I always forget it and I always forget where to find it so I end up posting links asking others how to find it.

This led to me asking if it was possible to have a video button. I was wondering others thoughts on this as well.

EDIT: Omg I forgot to say please! Sorry about that but...please? :)

2. simsaladimbamba

I am in favour of this, especially if it can truncate the address automatically from
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nwm-OcoSIs&feature=g-all-u
    to
    2nwm-OcoSIs.​

But if it will not happen, one could always use a text expanding application to include a template: Mac OS X Feature: System-Wide Text Substitution (available since Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard)

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how is it hard to add a video? you just use the youtube tags

5. simsaladimbamba

Then why have QUOTE or IMG tag buttons, which work the same? It is not hard, but it introduces errors, but it is probably harder to implement that video button into such old software.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

But as the Zen Masters of old once said, it's best to restrict access to the more awesome powers of the Internet (such as video imbedding) to those who fully understand it, otherwise chaos would surely ensue.

7. Schmitty11 macrumors 6502

I also think this would be a be a neat addition

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Having a new button in the editor is a nice suggestion.

A "YouTube" button would work very much like the IMG button, but would have to pick out the relevant portion of the URL to use the [youtube] tag. It's not part of the vBulletin base code but could be developed. It would be limited to YouTube videos since the tag is specific (there's no [vimio] tag to take advantage of, for example).

In the meantime, you can use the "Insert Link" button to insert links to any type of video on any website, just not embed the video itself.

9. simsaladimbamba

Thanks for the reply, and nice avatar, as almost always.

Anyway, enough sucking up. I once just posted the link to a YouTube video, because I was lazy or so, cannot remember, but one moderator changed that to embed the video using that YouTube tag we all not really know. It probably was a one time incident, but kept me thinking, that such a button would be a nice idea, but chrono1081 was less lazy than I am and made a thread about it.

10. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its easy but at the same time its something not a lot of people use (like myself) and there's no easy way to find out how to do it. I couldn't find it anywhere on the FAQ's page (although it is listed somewhere on this site, I've seen it once before).

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Here you go...

http://forums.macrumors.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#youtube

12. simsaladimbamba

But not many people look at that VBB code site.

Just so you know, this post was edited due to the OP linking to the video and a mod used the YouTube tag to embed the video. It is evident from such occasions, that not everyone knows the YouTube tag, and it seems it is required nowadays (remember the times, when embedding video was asked for but still put down?).

13. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Well they should...
    Screen Shot 2012-09-23 at 7.37.01 PM.png

Clicking "BBcode" will take you to the page OllyW linked to.

forums.macrumors.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

14. simsaladimbamba

I know, but not many will find it or think of it to be a place to look for embedding YouTube ****. I have been here for more than two years until I found the BBcode thingie, and it changed my life.

If embedding video is mandatory, and linking to it is not welcome anymore, then there should be at least a button for it. Or why are there IMG and QUOTE buttons? Those tags are even simpler than the YOUTUBE tag.

15. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

yep. we'll see what we can do.

arn

16. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks Arn! It'll be greatly appreciated by a bunch of us that's for sure.