Can we wear it in the shower?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JerTheGeek, Mar 25, 2015.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Since it can be submerged for up to 1m for up to 30 minutes then is it safe to take it in the shower? And control music as long as the screen isn't too wet to interfere with touch functions?

2. Glene macrumors 6502

3. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I personally will not use any electronic device in water. I recommend you don't either.

4. hemolyzer macrumors member

5. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

I mean I use my Pebble Smartwatch in the shower...

Also, I know it doesn't seem like the biggest thing, and if I do decide to use mine in the shower because we can, I won't be constantly on it. With that said though, Over the past 15 months of me having a pebble, I can't tell you how convenient it is when you receive a text or call and you can see if its important or not, or you can be listening to music and you need to stop, skip or turn the volume down or up for whatever reason.

6. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I currently use my Pebble in the shower everyday. It's how I control the volume of my hockey radio broadcasts, and it has been extremely helpful. One of the reasons I love the Pebble is cause I can do this, and use it anywhere. So I hope I can do this with the Watch. Obviously it can handle some water, but I guess the question is will it be able to handle the pressure of the water from the shower.

----------

Exactly, it is a HUGE convenience, kinda something you don't realize how great it is until you actually have it.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Should be fine but it'll depend on the models as the leather bands aren't water resistant.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Considering how much soap got into the links of my Omega I have zero intention of showering with my Apple watch.

9. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

10. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yes, but you shouldn't do it.

/end thread for the 2nd time.

11. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Since the 42mm battery is supposed to last longer than the 18 hours the 38mm gets, and I probably check things a little less than average, I hope to squeeze 22 hours out of it. I'll take it off when I wake up and charge it then, while I shower, get ready and then get the kids ready. I don't see the point in showering with it personally.

12. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

Would be useful for a parent to monitor their child with live video feed in the shower, so they can occasionally raise their wrist and see that the child is okay. You wouldn't even need anything other than setting your iPhone up so the camera is pointed toward them, then just open the camera app on the watch and monitor.

13. Esexx macrumors 6502

Esexx

Tim Cook's was free. So I suspect he will do everything while wearing his apple watch. If it breaks, no problem, he will get a replacement or get it fixed for free and no wait.

Me on the other hand...I am spending my hard earned cash so I will be less wreck less with my watch.

14. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

I'll be awaiting the multitude of YouTube videos testing the water resistance. Also the chainsaw, liquid nitrogen, blender, blow-torch, sledgehammer, and lava resistance.

15. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Honestly I don't think it makes a difference that he's the CEO of Apple. The point is, he wears his in the shower, and so we can conclude the Watch is water-resistant enough for the shower. I don't think he would have mentioned it to store employees if it wasn't capable of being used in the shower.

----------

Found this link in another thread. I guess this would make it waterproof: http://epikwatch.com

16. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Also, it does say it can be in the rain, and a shower isn't much different than a nice moderate to heavy rain. I'd be more concerned with getting soap scum on it.

17. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Yes!
    If the CEO... known for being calculatingly tight-lipped & extremely carefully choosing product info to share, PUBLICLY said he showers daily wearing his. It is DEFINITELY not an issue! Try not to shower for more than an hour straight at a depth of more than a meter & I think you'll be good.

/locks door behind as thread ends 3rd time

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

19. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

If you try it and It gets damaged, just tell the apple store employee that Tim Cook says its ok :cool:

20. zacheryjensen, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I know you're trying to be helpful but IPX7 doesn't imply any other number in that chart also being true, it only implies IPX8 isn't true. The charts are pretty poorly representing the fact that sets of those numbers are isolated tiers of testing.

Now, that said, I have been wearing a watch that only promises IPX7 for 2 years and shower with it on every. single. day. No problems whatsoever. Furthermore, every shower bluetooth speaker I've considered buying is only rated IP?7 and I never see people claiming problems from spray in the shower. What people around here don't seem to get is that showers are not high pressure. That immersion is much, much higher pressure than a shower, unless you're showering under a pressure washer.

And oh yes, Tim Cook says he showers with his on, and there is not even a snowflake's chance in hell he's going to say that *AT THE KEYNOTE* and not imply it's expected to be okay. Most likely the only reason Apple doesn't just come right out and say "yeah it's fine to shower with it" is that it's a more complex issue than just water resistance. You might have concerns about soap build-up in crevices on the device and band. You see that Apple says leather bands are not water proof/resistant at all. And maybe some weirdo out there truly does have ridiculously high pressure and way too much heat in their shower. In fact, since it's a tiny computer, the heat of the shower might be the biggest concern.

But, the reality is that in a typical shower, by a typical user, it's going to be just fine. I will not hesitate to wear mine in the shower if I get a metal or rubber band. But, then again, I also clean my watch on a regular basis and take only moderately warm showers with not all that super high of water pressure.

Maybe people who are on the fence but want it to work in the shower should get AppleCare+, just in case.

21. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I actually think it's pretty impressive that you COULD wear it in the shower. But I think at the price of it, it would be pretty stupid to do. I wouldn't take a chance.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I still do not understand the attraction or desire to wear a watch in the shower. Seems to make as much sense as wearing socks. Please enlighten me.

23. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

IPx7 will cover everything below and IPx6 will cover a shower. Also it would be conservatively rated because of the absolute numbers Apple will sell. Since Apple is giving a XPx7 waterproof rating they could not and WILL NOT denied a water ingress claim.

24. Julien, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As I have said before when I come in from doing extreme trail running I'm dirty and sweaty. I can just hop in the shower and my watch is also cleaned.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They can deny it if you tell them you dived into a 10 ft deep pool or swim with it for longer than 30 min, as that's outside the IPx7 rating.