Can you bypass activation lock on a iPhone 5s I found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaelinxo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
can you bypass activation lock (icould lock )on a iphone 5s i found , im not sure if you can o not so help me out

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Not unless you have the owner's AppleID and password. Which I doubt you have if you "found" the phone.

Maybe see if there is some sort of lost and found in the place you found it and turn it in there in case the owner comes looking.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
No, you can't. Take it to an Apple Store near you and let Apple identify the owner.
They won't. Best they will do is let you turn it in there and wait to see if the owner comes looking for it

Privacy policies and even laws prevent them from telling a third party such information.

----------

Theft anyone...
In California it is. Found objects where you don't make an effort to return them are considered theft. Brian Hogan and Gizmodo taught us that lesson

Other states might be the same

jr866gooner

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Well done op now have some decency and try to get it back to its owner. I'd be heartbroken if some fool found my phone and try to use it as their own.

Not to mention if they wiped it in trying to claim it as their own and it had locally stored pictures of a recently deceased daughter/ son or any relative for that matter...

What gives anyone the right to do this??

Someone could be frantically searching for their pride and joy whilst it rests in your sweaty palms trying to crack it.... Jeez

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
"Found" ... what a load of nonsense.

I do enjoy reading the convoluted stories thieves come up with to try and get help unlocking their stolen goods.

Thank goodness for Activation Lock.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I hate when people find a phone and think it belongs to them now, I wish there was a way to keep a phone form being restored to begin with without the Apple ID pass.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Anyone ever notice how these threads always seem to end the same way?

Past the second or third response of "Thief," "Do the right thing," and so on the OP disappears and all the following comments are only by others with similar responses.

I always find this interesting because it tells you exactly what the original intent was. If the OP is legit they'll come back and defend themselves, but it rarely seems to happen that way.

Just a personal observation. :D

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Anyone ever notice how these threads always seem to end the same way?

Past the second or third response of "Thief," "Do the right thing," and so on the OP disappears and all the following comments are only by others with similar responses.

I always find this interesting because it tells you exactly what the original intent was. If the OP is legit they'll come back and defend themselves, but it rarely seems to happen that way.

Just a personal observation. :D

Yep. The 5 new threads like this every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.