Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
So I want to know if you can defend iOS/iPhones without sounding like a fanboy. That means you need to have facts to back up all your statements, and give legitimate reasons as to why iOS and or iPhones are better than Windows Phone, or Android, or BlackBerry ect...

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Yeah I can. For the simple fact that what we are seeing now is not really new. Looking at gadgets in general since the first PDA, the iPhone and Androids have nothing that really new. Apple does bring more stuff into the iPhone experience.

I'm a fan of gadgets, games, technology. I like what works for me. Those who jump on the bandwagon and spew out info from a commercial are fanboys. :cool:

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
No.

There are entirely objective strengths and weaknesses to iOS/iPhone when compared to other OSes and brands, but these are dwarfed by entirely subjective personal preferences.

Reactions: Jimmy James

psycho693

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
Can you defend iPhone/iOS against other OS's without being a fanboy?

Honestly now a days one isn't better then the other. It all comes down to personal preference. If you are completely trenched into the iOS ecosystem then iOS is obviously better because android doesn't have everything you bought the past years. And vice versa. I recently just switched from android to iOS and my main reason was because it just works and it works well. Android is amazing it is but not as smooth in gaming and fast in just everyday use. But that is my opinion. What do you think?

Reactions: Patriks7

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't "defend" my choice, in fact i never explain my choice. It's entirely too subjective. I usually only say what my choice was.

That I'm posting on macrumors already says what my choice was. I'm a lover of technology but the phone somehow gets the most subjective scrutiny.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I can't say that I would ever have a reason to defend my choice. It is a phone I don't have to justify it or defend it to anyone, if someone thinks I picked the "wrong" one then by all means they can buy me a new phone or shut up.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
So I want to know if you can defend iOS/iPhones without sounding like a fanboy. That means you need to have facts to back up all your statements, and give legitimate reasons as to why iOS and or iPhones are better than Windows Phone, or Android, or BlackBerry ect...

How can you argue against having a more coherent and rich experience and ecosystem, not to mention support, having perhaps the best overall camera, the most advanced SoC and a fantastic design?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
WHY? it's not my job to convince someone to get an iphone. if they can't buy it then it sucks for them. LULZ

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
No need to defend it. If someone chose an inferior phone over the iPhone then that's their choice. I'll carry on enjoying mine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I would have to say that if you feel you are in a position to defend a choice based on personal preference then the person you are conversing with is a fanboi themselves, but for a different choice than yours.

Given that, any argument or "defense" is already moot as the fanboi will never see your choice as legitimate.

So why bother?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Lack of malware.

Reliable updates that support older models and are easy to install.

Immense, secure app store. Auto-updating apps.

Highly functional "office" apps that span phone to tablet to laptop to desktop (iWork). Free, yet.

Seamless cloud sync that just works.

Automatic backup to the cloud; can also back up to your PC or Mac.

Superb privacy and security provisions.

Reader Mode in Safari. (I'm not kidding, this is killer.)

FaceTime is built-in, easy, free, works well.

Great camera features.

Terrific in-person support at the Apple Stores.

The Lightning connector. Such a small thing, yet such a huge upgrade.

High resale value.

And yes, Safari is snappy.

...It's easy. iOS is good stuff.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
My family members always ask me about tablet or iphone, the answer is simple.
imessage, facetime, shared photostream because all of my family use ios and its easier to share.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

No, because "defending" against a flawed premise is a waste of time.

1. The assertion is already made that anyone who disagrees with the premise is a "fanboy." So anyone who disagrees has pretty much already lost the "argument."

2. There is nothing to "defend." People have preferences for what platform they choose, and that should be adequate reason enough for them to buy it. If a particular OS or phone or whatever does what that one user needs, then that is the "better" platform for them. End of discussion.

Once someone makes a decision - Blackberry, Windows Phone, iOS, Android, PalmOS, Symbian, whatever - then absolutely no one can say they have the moral high ground if they try to berate that person for making that decision. There's only one criteria: are they happy with their phone? If the answer is yes, then there is no valid reason at all to push them onto something else.

If you're that guy who does that all the time, or demands that people "defend" their choices, then you're one of two things. Either You're not convinced that YOU made the right choice and are overcompensating for it. Or, you're a fanboy.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
There is nothing to defend.

I use (and support, I am IT to my heavily gadget using family) practically every common platform (iOS, OSX, Windows, Android, Unix, Blackberry,...). I pick what is right for the job.

If someone asks, I ask "what? and why?" and suggest the platform(s) which does the job best at acceptable cost. With personal preference being one of the considerations.

More than half of our devices are iOS/OSX. Hm...

Nothing to defend, provide unbiased, objective suggestions, list pro/con arguments, let the other person decide.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I actually like the closed sandboxes nature of iOS. I'm not interested in rooting my phone as I don't see the need to anymore these days. My phone plan already includes lots of data, complimentary tethering, minutes, and texts. What more do I need it for? I've been on iPhone since the original and I'm comfortable using it and I can rely on it. With a phone being such an integrated device, I don't want to go messing around with it when it already does so much.

Now my custom built desktop PC, that's a different story altogether...

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Can't say it better. It really comes down to personal preference. I work for a cellular company and when someone asks me which is better, I say its preference and I do not get involved.

No.

There are entirely objective strengths and weaknesses to iOS/iPhone when compared to other OSes and brands, but these are dwarfed by entirely subjective personal preferences.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I have people (friends, coworkers, neighbors) ask my opinion all the time in regards to a new phone or laptop or iPad/Tablet. I think it all comes down to what they are used to and how they intend to use the device. While I prefer iOS I do not push it on anyone. I'd rather show them the feature/benefit of iOS compared to what they are leaning to and let them make a decision.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
My iPhone hasn't bricked itself when I've downloaded an Apple app from the App Store.

I had a BlackBerry Storm2, and it bricked when I tried to download BlackBerry News from App World. Tried all the typical BB troubleshooting tricks (i.e. pull the battery) to no avail. Of course when you have a phone that's quickly abandoned by the manufacturer and the exclusive carrier (seriously, as soon as Verizon got the iPhone 4, they were done with RIM's attempt at touchscreen)...

Quite honestly I've never tried android for more than just testing it out in the store. I chose the iPhone because I was already highly invested in the ecosystem. But I use Google services and MS Office in place of Apple's counterparts.

There's no way for anyone to be completely unbiased. There isn't anything to quite equal mobile OS loyalty. Not even Coke vs. Pepsi or American vs. import cars. Even computer OSes don't equal it. OS X users are still usually familiar with Windows and able to use it when necessary. And the techies are always supportive of linux. But very few people are neutral when it comes to mobile OSes. There are some, but they seem concentrated in forums like these. The average consumer doesn't care enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.