Can you deleted the backups in Macintosh HD/.MobileBackups?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by username42, Sep 9, 2011.

1. username42 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have a external Hard Drive that has 1 TB and I backup my files/applications and stuff there. I use Time Machine to back these up my files to the other external hard drive. So I am wondering if it is okay for me to download this folder because it takes up 30 GBs on my Hard Drive.

I've looked through the folders and its just a backup of all my folders and I already have it on my external Hard Drive. So is it safe to delete them for that extra 30 GBs? :3

I use Daisydisk as an illustration:http://i.imgur.com/K5OPY.png

Grammar edit in the title: *delete :p

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That folder keeps Time Machine stuff when you are not connected to your hard drive. So if you backed up to your external drive yesterday, and you delete a file by mistake, Time Machine will find the file in MobileBackups. MobileBackups disappears as soon as you connect to your hard drive. And it doesn't take as much space as it says, only the space to keep all changes. That's the way Time Machine works; it _looks_ as if everything is copied, but in reality only things that have been deleted or changed take space. Deleting MobileBackups is difficult and doesn't help because it comes back automatically.

Advice: Don't worry about it.

3. username42 thread starter macrumors newbie