Can you 'Folder' your Newsstand.app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iKennett, Jun 8, 2011.

1. iKennett macrumors 6502

Can you 'Folder' your Newsstand.app?

Can you... damn thing wont let me!

2. leanne.. macrumors member

nope!! I just moved it to the last page of apps by itself so I don't have to look at it! ;)

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is the weirdest thing I can imagine.

If Apple is going to create un-folderable apps (which is weird, but whatever) how on earth did the App Store and the Phone not make the list?

5. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I moved it off of my main home screen. I did want to dump it in the utilities folder as I wanted it away. :(

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

NewsStand is a special kind of folder than can only contain NewsStand apps. As it's a folder it cannot be put in any other folder. As the NewsStand APIs are new in iOS 5.0 there are no NewsStand apps on the store so right not it's 100% useless unless you are developing your own NewsStand app.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ahhh.

I didn't understand that it wasn't an app. This makes a lot more sense.

Of course, we're back to the very weird "iBooks is an app, newstand is a folder" thing...but like I said: Whatever.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the explanation robbieduncan. Just like Small White Car, I thought it was a standard app.

9. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I think there needs to be an option to disable Newsstand from being on your home screen. I can't stand having an icon that I will never use.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think that's because each book uses essentially the same layout engine. The idea is that the publishers use the NewsStand frameworks to create their own custom apps that appear in NewsStand but can have their own, custom, cool layouts and features to differentiate them. The NewsStand frameworks provide the background downloading, updating coverpages etc.

11. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

Maybe you can disable it in parental control settings??

12. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Thanks for your explanation :) By the way, downloaded your DLR App the other day because I'm staying at the Novotel in Docklands so it should come in handy been getting the DLR to connect with the tube :)

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't get this either.

I downloaded iBooks because I knew that I was going to want to read Books and PDFs, but I know I have no use for Newsstand since I have never cared for Magazines. Its a shame that it wasn't and optional download from the App Store, and what sucks more it that I can't get rid or it or stick it in a folder.

Now I have another useless app that I can't get rid of like the Contacts app.

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Really hope Newsstand will be an optional download like the iBookstore. I see no point having it on my iPhone. Especially if i can't put it under my folder "Least Used apps".

16. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Wasn't iBooks bundled with iOS 3 Betas but became an optional install at release?

Maybe Apple will do the same thing with Newsstand, though I doubt it because, as others have pointed out, it's not an app.

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I thought that iBooks was first only available on iOS 3.2 (iPad only) and became a universal app when the iOS 4.0 was released on June 21st. But even for the iPad it was always an optional install from the App Store.

18. iKennett thread starter macrumors 6502

Makes perfect sense! Thanks.

19. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

Suggestion

We should be able to remove unwanted apps from our screen (specifically, the Apple apps that the phone comes with when you first get the phone).

Right now we have to jailbreak to be able to do this (I remember something that let you "HIDE" it, not delete it though)

20. dizzy130 macrumors member

I'm really annoyed by this and hope it changes. I only have one home screen and I want to keep it that way, and I'll be really pissed if one of those limited icons has to be one I can't put in a folder and don't want to use.

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

it looks like a folder in the demo and from what ive read it just organizes your magazine a newspaper apps, its not like ibook where you just synced magazine in pdf format

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed, jailbroken you can hide them with sbsettings or delete them with iFile

23. shandyman Suspended

Like the fella above already said, it is a folder, and using it personally it looks and feels it too. You can't put a folder in a folder

24. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good thing for jailbreaking

25. shandyman Suspended

I've just moved it off screen.

Plus really, go thru the hassle of jailbreaking to hide 1 icon?! Lol. Madness.