Can you overcharge?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zacl87, Oct 3, 2009.

1. zacl87 macrumors member

I've always been under the impression that leaving things charged past 100% - not just computers but all electronics with rechargeable batteries - will stuff up the battery somehow..

I can't remember why i've always followed this dogma, but is there any weight to it? or can I just leave my macbook charging all the time, even while it's green, and it will have no effect on the batteries capacity?

cheers

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Nope. It will be fine. There are a lot of people here who leave there computers plugged in 24/7. :)

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You can leaving it charging all the time. As long as you do your monthly calibrations it will be fine in regards to battery capacity.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The battery controller shuts off charging when it's full. Leaving it plugged in all the time won't hurt anything. To keep the battery in "good health", Apple recommends using it monthly. Otherwise, use it the way you wish. It'll be fine. :)

5. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

some possible instruction for this? not overly savvy at this point

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What you do is use your computer until the battery is all the way drained and the computer goes to sleep. Then leave it for a few hours until it shuts off completely, afterwards charge it up fully.

7. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

once a month run your mac completely dry of power and then do a full recharge, thats the best way to maintain a happy battery [​IMG]

8. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

sweet thanks heaps.
    I usually do run it until it needs to be charged again so that's good. getting up around the 360 cycles though so it's due for a new battery soon. At least keeping it charging will keep the cycles down.
    thanks again.

9. Aven SkyGazer macrumors regular

istat says...

My istat widget says my alum-MB battery is at 97% health

is there a way to remedy this... or? is my battery slowly dwindling (as it has been a year now).

10. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

97% is great going after a year! You can't make it any better, though, it'll always just get worse. All you can do is minimise the rate it degrades at.

11. Aven SkyGazer macrumors regular

ah

does apple sell individual replacement batteries?

12. shaunymac macrumors 6502

My MBP battery is at 38%. Ouch. I'm one of the ones that stays plugged in nearly 24/7. At 38%, it lasts about 30 mins tops. Powermax, here I come.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

I assume you have a model with a built-in battery? If so, battery replacement costs $150 or so, the same price as a removable battery.

Even at 38% it should last a couple of hours. You might want to check the link above for suggestions on optimizing your battery life.

14. shaunymac macrumors 6502

That's what I thought as well. It was just like one day, my battery decided to suck and act like a toshiba battery. What really gets to me is my old iBook, now my mom's mac, still lasts 3-4 hours.

Correct me if I am wrong, to calibrate, you just let it completely run dry. I have tried that a few times and it hasn't helped.

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Again, read the link I posted. It has instructions on battery calibration.