Can you own both an ipad and kindle?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by danblakemore, Jan 3, 2012.

1. danblakemore macrumors newbie

Just a quick question..

I currently have an ipad 2 and fancy a kindle, does anyone else have both ? do you find the need for both or is it overkill ?

My thinking is, ipad in house for reading, kindle on the move?

2. wpotere Guest

Of course you can... I prefer the eInk for reading books, so I have a Nook for reading and the iPad for productivity. Simple enough...

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. The Apple police will raid your home if the two devices are located in close proximity.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If your main purpose is reading the Kindle does it so much better and more efficiently!

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes, according to the big book of inane non-existent gadget rules and regulations.

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

That's probably unconstitutional!

More seriously, iPad seems to be much more of a mobility device than the Kindle.

7. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

yes of course. I pondered buying a Kindle last year (had been reading ebooks on iPad) and its complemented it nicely. The Kindle is easier on the eyes and lighter, no where near as versatile but much more like reading a real book. The battery can last over a month too which has helped me stretch out time between iPad charges :D

8. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have both an iPad and a Kindle. I started to buy a Kindle Fire this year but opted to wait for the next generation.

I use the iPad for general stuff, browsing, games, some doc creation, etc. I never read on my iPad. The Kindle is much better to read on, especially for long periods, because the eink is easier on the eyes and mostly because of the weight ( or lack of weight). Compared to the Kindle the iPad weighs a lot. You can easily read a large book on the Kindle with one hand.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've got an iPad and a Kindle and use both regularly. If I want to read a novel, then nothing compares to the experience of reading it on a Kindle (except the actual paperback), and it's much, much more immersive than reading it on my iPad.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, I believe you can. I have not seen evidence of it being illegal or one device trying to attack the other, but you never know.

If the kindle disappears overnight and the iPad looks a bit fatter and smug, then you know what happened.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have had both for quite some time, and find it the perfect solution for my needs.

Nothing but the purpose built Kindle with it's excellent e-ink display, is as nice to read on. The way it's superior contrast and readability performs make long reading sessions a true pleasure.

Conversely the iPad is my tablet of choice for Internet research and general web work when I want a break from either my MBP or MBA are it's strengths.

Simply put, there is a dramatic difference, with the Kindle being extremely valuable and an incredibly good value at it's price point. Especially the newest models. That, and the fact that Kindle books work across all platforms and devices I have, makes it an easy decision.

12. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

It's possible, but it's illegal in 35 states.

13. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Came here to find this. Was not disappointed. Would buy from again. A++++

14. jojoba macrumors 68000

I own and use both. I mainly use the iPad for reading work related PDFs, and do all my 'fun' reading on my Kindle or Sony T1. I much prefer reading on e-ink devices, but for academic journals they don't cut it.

:D:D

15. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I owened both for a while since I prefer eInk for reading but have since adjusted and stuck with just the iPad, I got tired of carrying around two devices and reading on the backlit display really doesn't bother me. I still have a preference of eInk but not enough to go back to two devices.

16. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

as most people have stated...Yes. I have both. I much prefer reading books on the kindle to the iPad. Kindle is second only to the physical book.

17. danblakemore thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the positive views.

I was 90% sure of it, but wanted to question those who had both to see if it was a viable option.

Looks like the kindle will be purchased.

Cheers again.

18. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Must not be SIRIous! I have ipads, touchpad and a kindle. So u think its overkill?

19. tanboom macrumors member

I don't know but I am thinking to buy a kindle having a iPad. I think its strenuous exercise on eyes when read books on ipad for long. But for magazines, I prefer iPad as Kindle is not colour. Why there is no colour E-Ink technology, btw? ;)

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375466,00.asp

21. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I've got iPads, Kindles and Nooks in the house. With the Kindle app on everything, I can pick up any device and start reading where I left off no matter which device I had been using previously. Not true for the iPad.

And honestly, what the above poster said is true. I find reading more immersive on the Kindle or Nook since I'm not being tempted away by alerts, game invites, browsing thoughts on Safari or whatever. Sometimes, simple is better. Especially when reading.

22. cr2 macrumors regular

Kindle for specific use..

I got Kindle with Special offers as I was told that you can 20% off laptop from Amazon Coupon. I don't know if it is true. But did use a couple of coupons in the last 2 months.

Kindle is great for the kids so that they can read. You give a kid an iPad and he / she is going to play games or browsing. Not much of an option on low end kindle there and zero distractions on Kindle.

If I really get 20% off a laptop from Kindle then It will be used for a nice MBP :)

23. saberahul macrumors 68040

Can you? Of course you can! They are different in their own ways. Would I? No, because I do all my reading on the iPad itself but that is my usage... I know others who prefer the E-Ink (especially since it works in direct sunlight) and an iPad.

24. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

Definitely. I have an iPad 2 and a Kindle Touch 3G, as I prefer the e-ink screen for reading.

25. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

In Michigan it's a 5 year felony. If its your second ofence we ship you to Canada. ;)