Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Nope - it's against the law to own both an iPad and a Kindle. Mandatory sentence of 10 years with no bail. Sorry - I couldn't resist.

Seriously - I've been thinking about purchasing a Kindle Fire. I use the Kindle app for all my book reading and would love a smaller device to carry around with me to read eBooks.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I suspect that relatively few individual iPad owners other than the gadget obsessed will opt for a Kindle Fire as well unless the smaller form factor is a major priority for some uses. Although many iPad users also prefer the e-ink Kindles for reading books. That advantage, of course, doesn't exist for the KF.

On the other hand, from reading the reviews of the KF on the Amazon website, there appears to be a substantial number of households where a Kindle Fire provides a less expensive alternative to purchasing another iPad. And at least one stock analyst estimates that as many as 1-2 million customers purchased the KF rather than the iPad in the last quarter of 2011. For households with multiple users, the KF makes an economical supplemental tablet.

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
Being a satisfied iPad 1 user, I saw no need to own a Kindle and told friends and family so before Christmas. To my surprise, someone still bought me a Kindle Fire. Since I love gadgets, I couldn't resist playing with it. Yeah, it is very cool and I am keeping it to carry to work. The kindle fire is no ipad, but is a cool e book reader. I can even read my nook books on it thanks to Andriod. Still, there is little reason to buy both of these devices.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
As an avid reader, there's no comparison. The Kindle is infinitely better than the iPad and the Kindle Fire simply because of the e-ink and the weight of the device. Battery life is another huge advantage. I used to take my iPad with me on the road, but now it sits at home and my Kindle goes everywhere. To be honest, I bought an Air last year and it's negated any need I had for the iPad.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
No. If you buy one the other one will burst into flames.

I don't see why not. Just make sure that you get all of your music and books from someone that has software for both OS's - MP3's, Nook or Kindle (not iBooks), etc...

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
We have a kindle and multiple iPads.
We only purchase books from amazon for multiplatform usage

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
To be honest, I've never had an issue reading on the iPad. I've always worried about straining my eyes, but I've been able to read consistently for hours with little problems. The only shortfall of course is the weight of the device. It may be the thinnest and lightest iPad yet, but when your in bed and it slips and falls onto your face...ouch.

I am really tempted to get hold of the new Kindle though, £79 is a bargain and I'll be more comfortable using that to read on the train to work instead of my iPad.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
Just a quick question..

I currently have an ipad 2 and fancy a kindle, does anyone else have both ? do you find the need for both or is it overkill ?

My thinking is, ipad in house for reading, kindle on the move?

Certainly. My wife uses her iPad for most things and her Kindle2 for reading.
I, however, gradually found I stopped using my Sony E-reader and moved over to the iPad.
Horses for courses...whatever you prefer.
If you can afford both then why not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.