Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I haven't seen a post on this, and it's difficult to search for this topic. So I'll risk asking anyways.

I'm on an AT&T Mobile Share plan and I'm eligible for an upgrade via NEXT, but I'd rather pay full price so that my Amex card is charged something and makes me eligible for the Amex warranty.

So the Apple.com website isn't allowing me to purchase the AT&T iPhone 6 at full price. Only $299 with contract or $0 with NEXT.

Does anyone know if the physical Apple Stores are allowing the purchase of AT&T iPhone 6's at full price. I tried calling my local store, but got bounced around voicemail and finally got someone (in Texas ... I'm in PA) who had no idea what she was talking about.

I'd appreciate any answers. Thanks.

ft

raorth

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
My understanding is you cannot buy the phone outright at an Apple store. I had to purchase mine through AT &T. That was the only way to get the phone paying full price.

After awhile the Apple store will start selling them full price but not usually at launch of a new phone.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
raoth,

Seems kinda odd. I wonder how the scalpers are doing it. They can't be signing up for that many service contracts.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder when they consider the launch to be over and allow for walk-up purchases at full price. I'm hoping to buy my iPhone 6, before my iPhone 5 is no longer eligible for the sleep button recall. I'd rather not deal with the loaner phone.

ft

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I haven't seen a post on this, and it's difficult to search for this topic. So I'll risk asking anyways.

I'm on an AT&T Mobile Share plan and I'm eligible for an upgrade via NEXT, but I'd rather pay full price so that my Amex card is charged something and makes me eligible for the Amex warranty.

So the Apple.com website isn't allowing me to purchase the AT&T iPhone 6 at full price. Only $299 with contract or $0 with NEXT.

Does anyone know if the physical Apple Stores are allowing the purchase of AT&T iPhone 6's at full price. I tried calling my local store, but got bounced around voicemail and finally got someone (in Texas ... I'm in PA) who had no idea what she was talking about.

I'd appreciate any answers. Thanks.

ft

Do what I ended up doing accidentally. Buy the iPhone on AT&T contract and the next day cancel it and pay the $325 ETF fee

Iphone 6 plus 64gb cost 399.99 + 325.00 ETF = 725.00 plus tax. Retail 849.00. Your line access will only be $15.00 a month.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I am eligible for an upgrade, however, but that shouldn't stop me from paying full price, right?

Did you have to do anything special? Was it the AT&T version?

----------

Do what I ended up doing accidentally. Buy the iPhone on AT&T contract and the next day cancel it and pay the $325 ETF fee

Iphone 6 plus 64gb cost 399.99 + 325.00 ETF = 725.00 plus tax. Retail 849.00. Your line access will only be $15.00 a month.

Really???? Do you lose your phone number? Paying the ETF means you're canceling that line, right?

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I am eligible for an upgrade, however, but that shouldn't stop me from paying full price, right?

if you're upgrade eligible you can't buy for full retail at an apple store. You'll have to wait until your carrier offers them for full retail. Mine's verizon

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada

Does anyone know if the physical Apple Stores are allowing the purchase of AT&T iPhone 6's at full price.

My understanding is you cannot buy the phone outright at an Apple store. I had to purchase mine through AT &T. That was the only way to get the phone paying full price.

After awhile the Apple store will start selling them full price but not usually at launch of a new phone.

Ftaok, is it possible for you to buy from the Canadian Apple Store? The phones are sold unlocked here and it should be (roughly) the same one that you would get in the States.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI

----------

Really???? Do you lose your phone number? Paying the ETF means you're canceling that line, right?

No I did not lose my phone number or my account with AT&T. The only thing I lost is the fact that I was on a contract. The AT&T rep even said I found a loophole. I just wanted to go on Next but they couldn't switch me so I did the math and found the ETF is only $325.00

cypressc

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Austin, TX
You can sign up for the Next plan, which is the retail cost of the phone divided by 20/24 payments with 0% interest. Then, when your first bill comes, you are allowed to pay off the Next installments early. Send in the retail price of your phone and - voila! - you own the phone at retail price.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
if you're upgrade eligible you can't buy for full retail at an apple store. You'll have to wait until your carrier offers them for full retail. Mine's verizon

I'm not doubting you, but what's the logic in preventing people from paying full price if they're eligible for an upgrade? Makes no sense, at least as far as I can see.

Does anyone know when AT&T stores will have them available at full price?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

You can pay full price for the phone. You just tell the Apple sales that you want to purchase it as device only. It is considered paying full price when you purchase device only. I purchased the AT&T iPhone 6 Plus Gold yesterday morning as Device only. And if you buy it as device only, it will be unlocked.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You can sign up for the Next plan, which is the retail cost of the phone divided by 20/24 payments with 0% interest. Then, when your first bill comes, you are allowed to pay off the Next installments early. Send in the retail price of your phone and - voila! - you own the phone at retail price.

I know I can sign up for NEXT, but I want to take advantage of my Amex card, which adds another year to the warranty. To get this feature, I have to buy the phone with my Amex card, and since, with NEXT, you pay $0 down, Amex won't give you the extended warranty.

I could upgrade with a subsidy and pay $300, but I'd lose my $25/mo discount, which would actually make the price of the phone much higher over the 24 months.

Maybe I'll have to do the ETF thing, but I'm not sure if I'd lose my $25/mo discount for being out of contract.

----------

You can pay full price for the phone. You just tell the Apple sales that you want to purchase it as device only. It is considered paying full price when you purchase device only. I purchased the AT&T iPhone 6 Plus Gold yesterday morning as Device only.

Were you eligible for an upgrade? One poster in this thread said that if you are eligible for an upgrade, they won't sell it to you at full price. Or is there a semantic difference between full price and device only?

Also, did you buy at an Apple Store?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I know I can sign up for NEXT, but I want to take advantage of my Amex card, which adds another year to the warranty. To get this feature, I have to buy the phone with my Amex card, and since, with NEXT, you pay $0 down, Amex won't give you the extended warranty.

I could upgrade with a subsidy and pay $300, but I'd lose my $25/mo discount, which would actually make the price of the phone much higher over the 24 months.

Maybe I'll have to do the ETF thing, but I'm not sure if I'd lose my $25/mo discount for being out of contract.

OP, you can definitely buy the phone at full price at the Apple store and they will let you. You just can't reserve it on the apple.com. You have to go to the Apple store and hope for the best that they have the one you want in stock. Just tell the Apple Sales you want to purchase the phone as device only. You should not have a problem.

----------

----------

Were you eligible for an upgrade? One poster in this thread said that if you are eligible for an upgrade, they won't sell it to you at full price. Or is there a semantic difference between full price and device only?

Also, did you buy at an Apple Store?

Yes I was eligible for an upgrade for AT&T Next, but decided not to use it. And yes I purchased mine at the Apple store. When you buy it as Device only, they don't ask you for any of your account info.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
No I did not lose my phone number or my account with AT&T. The only thing I lost is the fact that I was on a contract. The AT&T rep even said I found a loophole. I just wanted to go on Next but they couldn't switch me so I did the math and found the ETF is only $325.00

OK, I re-read your reply. It sounds like you are not on a Mobile Share plan, right? So are you technically on a contract now? On the Mobile Share plan, when you're out of contract, they drop the monthly charge from $40 to $15. Over 24 months, that's $600 extra that you're paying on top of the $300 for the phone and the $325 ETF.

If you're on a regular "minutes" plan, there's no discount for being out of contract. This plan may not work for me. :(

----------

OP, you can definitely buy the phone at full price at the Apple store and they will let you. You just can't reserve it on the apple.com. You have to go to the Apple store and hope for the best that they have the one you want in stock. Just tell the Apple Sales you want to purchase the phone as device only. You should not have a problem.

----------

Yes I was eligible for an upgrade for AT&T Next, but decided not to use it. And yes I purchased mine at the Apple store. When you buy it as Device only, they don't ask you for any of your account info.

Cool. Thanks for the information. This looks like the way to go for me. I just have to wait until the iPhone 6 ATT 64GB Grey builds up inventory. Seems like last week, they were available everywhere, but this week, no one has them.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I know t-mobile phones are harder to come by, but that's what I got. All full priced t-mobile phones are unlocked if you buy it at an apple store

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
OK, I re-read your reply. It sounds like you are not on a Mobile Share plan, right? So are you technically on a contract now? On the Mobile Share plan, when you're out of contract, they drop the monthly charge from $40 to $15. Over 24 months, that's $600 extra that you're paying on top of the $300 for the phone and the $325 ETF.

If you're on a regular "minutes" plan, there's no discount for being out of contract. This plan may not work for me. :(

My wife and I are on the mobile share plan. Our mobile share is 30 GB at $130 a month. Arlyne charge per phone is now only $15 per month because we no longer are under contract. I talked them into waving our $40 activation fees.

24 month comparison
I pay
399.99 phone under contract
325 ETF
360 line charge
$1084.99

$550.00 savings over contract over two years.

Contract = $1359.99

Next = $1209.00 I believe.

I now can upgrade next year and I have an unlock request with ATT now.

The downfall is if I lose my iPhone or damage it AMEX would only pay me back purchase price. So if you can buy from Apple Store off contract that would be the best way to go I think.
----------

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I know t-mobile phones are harder to come by, but that's what I got. All full priced t-mobile phones are unlocked if you buy it at an apple store

Even a full priced AT&T (device only) phone comes unlocked as well. I got mine yesterday as a Device only. Plugged into my itunes, and got a message telling me that my phone is now unlocked and can use other carrier.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Even a full priced AT&T (device only) phone comes unlocked as well. I got mine yesterday as a Device only. Plugged into my itunes, and got a message telling me that my phone is now unlocked and can use other carrier.

When reserving online for a pickup, I didn't see a way to reserve a full priced AT&T phone. From what I've read here, not every store will switch the purchase to no contract, once you get to the store

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
When reserving online for a pickup, I didn't see a way to reserve a full priced AT&T phone. From what I've read here, not every store will switch the purchase to no contract, once you get to the store

Yea unfortunately you can't reserve the AT&T without using the upgrade. Just have to walk to the store.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
My friend bought an iPhone 6 yesterday at the Apple store at full price for AT&T. They did not even ask him for a phone nunber. If Apple has them, they will sell them to you!

Apple will definitely sell it at full price and it will be unlocked, except if it's a sprint phone.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US

Yea the Apple store employee told me to do this. I'm on contract right now and I have until Sunday to make my return.

And I also wonder about unlocking at that point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.