Can you put Touch ID on iPhone 5c?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Granted they have similar general form factor.. and if need to I think you can swap mobo. but the problem I'm seeing really is the mounting holes that's about it.

5c rear shell + 5s mobo + touchID home button + screen= 5c with touchID?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

3. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

TouchID works directly with the A7 processor in the iPhone 5S, the architecture just isn't there with previous chips.

4. Brdl04 macrumors regular

Brdl04

Yes you can. Will it work? Probably not but you can put it in there. (Thats what she said.)

5. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

so touchID is 64-bit specific hardware?

LULZ @ that's what she said

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sure, just stick the touch ID home button there, connect it with some duct tape and you're good to go.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

A7 specific.

8. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

LULZ... that's some gfab

9. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Essentially, all you are doing here is taking a 5S and changing the rear shell? I dont see why it wont work

10. chabig macrumors 68040

It would be easier to just put a colored plastic case on the 5S.

----------

It won't work because the inner construction isn't the same. The 5S frame and insides aren't designed to mate to a 5C case.

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It would work.

Just shove the guts of the 5s into the 5c shell. Wrap it up with a little duct tape. Good as gold!!!

:eek:

12. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

In theory, it should work right? as long as the mounting points line up.. that's the only issue here in think.

13. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

IF you pulled all the internals out of the 5S as well....

Essentially, if you were taking just the back shell of the 5C and trying to attach it to a 5S, it would work (though it wouldn't fit correctly).

However, if you are simply trying to pull out the Touch ID assembly to stick in a 5C, you'll be missing the key component - the A7 chip with secure enclave.

In other words, no.

14. chabig macrumors 68040

You could put a Chevy V-8 in there if the mounting points line up, so I guess you're right--in theory.

15. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Yes, OP, I believe, in theory, it is entirely possible with what you are suggesting, but I recommend also switching out the battery and camera, and flash. There are just a few things though...

The casing to both the 5S and 5C have similar screw posts to mount the mobos on.

[​IMG]
    Image from iFixit.com.

The hole for the TouchID on the 5S is a little bigger than the hole on the 5C for the Home button, or else you would have been able to use the same screen (not the case). Just make sure the 5S display frame also comes with the display assembly.

The battery for the 5s is rated at 3.8V - 5.92Wh - 1560mAh, whereas the one in the 5c is rated at 3.8 V—5.73 Wh—1510 mAh; while the connectors are visually similar, I would advise swapping batteries to avoid problems.

The flex ribbon for the Power/Sleep/Volume/Vibrate assembly appears to have the same flex connector to the mobo, and at the same location, so you could potentially preserve the original flex intact. The flash is integrated to this flex, however, so if it does not work properly, you'll have to try "rigging" the 5s flex to the assembly.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 5C Power flex
    Image from ProTechBuy.com

[​IMG]
    iPhone 5S Power flex
    Image from PhonePartsUSA.com

The rear camera appears to have the same connector, as well. I would still recommend swapping it out.

Good luck if you attempt to do this! It's going to be one heck of an interesting franken-project. :)

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No. Touch ID not only needs the A7 chip to work, but also the iPhone 5s specific version of iOS 7, as Touch ID is set up and used in conjunction with iOS 7, not just hardware components. There are specific builds of iOS for each device, and the builds released for the 5c do not contain the necessary code for Touch ID.

In short, if you just want to attach the 5s home button to the 5c to have Touch ID, it will not work.

The only way would be to somehow remove the casing of the 5c, and use it as the casing for the 5s, as you would need the internals of the 5s to access Touch ID and to use the 5s specific iOS firmware.

17. Applejuiced, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I got a simpler solution.
    Sell the 5C and get a 5S with TouchID instead.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Winner, winner chicken dinner.:D I doubt it would work any other way.

19. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yes and it stores the finger print info on the A7. And all devices run a slightly differnt version of iOS so if you put it on you will still go to setting and won't have Touch ID in their. Also the software on the 5c wouldn't be able to read Touch ID

20. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Why can't he/she modify the shell? It will work if they can do it. So yes

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Far less cool, and not unique.

If he can pull it off, in a clean way that all goes securely back together. Major major kudos.

22. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

excellent idea, except i have both. rocking 5s since release and my 5c is comin tomorrow. LOL

23. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I wonder if someone's tried this. I'd love to see it :p

24. Camoxide macrumors regular

Or you could wait until they bring out the 5SC