Can you snap windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snerkler, Feb 27, 2012.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    I've just got my first Mac today, a MBP 15". Just getting used to it as certain things are different to PC. One feature I really liked on Windows 7 was the ability to snap windows to full screen or half screen, can you do this on the Mac? I saw an app, iSnap, but this only appears to work with a few windows and is not universal.

Cheers

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Sure, go to the app store and search for better snap tool

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fgb%2Fapp%2Fbettersnaptool%2Fid417375580%3Fmt%3D12&ei=R_ZLT9zqMIiV8gPxo_y_Aw&usg=AFQjCNHPAOGeBqR6XnAAAOGDYzNempwivA

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

5. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Taking screenshots on windows requires the press of one button, can't be easier than this :)

----------

DO you think this will be something that will become a feature at some point? I really find it useful, especially when working from 2 windows.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

But then you have to go and paste it into something like MS Paint. Then there are some keyboards that don't even have the Print Screen button.

7. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

but then you have to paste it somewhere and save it;

but back to the thread I also use BetterSnapTool

8. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

A little off-topic, but the screen shots in OS X are much more powerful than on Windows.

Try using windows that are not full screen. Many Mac users prefer it this way. It tends to be better for multitasking.

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Better Touch Tool adds that functionality along with added functionality for mice, external trackpads, and to create custom gestures. Highly recommend it as I have been using it for years.

11. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, got the "snapping" confused with the Windows 7 Snap Tool, if it is called that way.

Yeah, I vote for Window Tidy and BetterTouchTool.

PS: While pressing one button to make a screenshot in Windows might be faster, if you refer to the PRINT button, Mac OS X' screenshot capabilities allow for much more customisation with keyboard shortcuts and shooting just a window or other element without the surroundings.

Goot luck with that snapping thing, it is definitely something, that hasn't been asked before

12. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Good lord people. He's referring to Windows' ability to move windows to different sides of the screen or make them full screen. Not take screenshots.

13. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I would agree, except I work with people that have literally asked several within the office how to take a screen capture in windows (and they are currently and only have been windows users for years), yet several couldn't answer the simple questions. They also couldn't map a shared drive either. Keep in mind these are recent graduates with computer degrees.:eek:

15. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

As I and others have said BetterTouchTool does it and it is free (or at least was when I got it, and updates have been timely as well), it is from the same person making BetterSnapTool (he just broke out that part for those who only wanted that functionality).