Can You survive on 2gb of Ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by van2010rulz, Jul 3, 2010.

1. van2010rulz macrumors regular

I am in the market for a new computer and am thinking of making the switch between a Pc to a Mac. To save as much cash as possible(because this is some serious $$$$$) I am probably going to go with a brand new Macbook because i don't need the sd and firewire port. Yes the keyboard with the backlight would be nice. Yes having the unibody casing would be nice. Yes having 4gb of ram again would be nice, but well i don't need half that stuff. In order to do the following tasks as followed: Skype, Msn, Internet Browsing, Word, Powerpoint, Mild photo and video editing in iLife set, will 2gb of ram be enough? I am on a Pc right now with 2gb of ram and am Crawling. If the Macs OSX is all it's crackede up to be will 2gb be enough.

Thanks

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes it'll be fine until the Christmas sale on SO-DIMMs allows you to upgrade for $25 or less.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There is a noticeable difference between 2GB of RAM and 4GB of RAM. Personally, if at all possible I would go with 4GB.

4. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

if you're not afraid to take apart your Macbook and install the RAM yourself, then definitely go with the 2GB base option - Apple's fee for the upgrade is ridiculous (an extra $100?!)

5. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

2GB is perfectly fine. My second computer a Core Duo MacBook Pro only has 2GB of RAM and it runs fast enough to be more than usable.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i dont think that 2GB will be enough for those tasks simultaneously. each one by one, yes that should be ok - all at once, hmm no.

7. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Forgot what 2gb was like, i run 4gb in my Black Macbook 2.16ghz

8. ColdNCursed macrumors newbie

I'm running a Macbook 13" with 2gb of ram, and I think it works fine. Would I prefer 4gb? Yes. However, I have yet to run into an issue where I get frustrated by how long things take or any thing of the sort.

9. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

2GB should be fine. One day, just to try it, I opened every program on my dock...ever single one. I could switch in between them and work just fine with 2GB. It's just the way OSX does things, it just works. 4GB would be nice, but really, for those tasks, you won't NEED it.

10. vistadude macrumors 65816

2 GB is fine for running a several apps at once. The slowdowns that will be noticeable will be opening and closing apps. But when the apps are open, they seem to run fast.

11. JCCash macrumors regular

IMO, buy a refurb 13" MBP from Apple. The cost is only about $50.00 more then a new Macbook:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

12. Dyango macrumors member

From my own experience, 2GB of RAM is not an issue at all, running on that since I got my Macbook (sig) and never really suffered it. Here Adium, Chrome, Twittie and Mail are always open, the rest (iLife, Photoshop, Lightroom, iTunes, Word...) just comes and goes once the work is done.

4GB of RAM is an upgrade I have been thinking about and delaying time after time because I don't see the need for my personal use. 160GB HDD is starting to be much more annoying TBH ;)

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I could probably do fine with 2GB of RAM, but I like having 4GB all the same :D

14. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

if you try to bootcamp with 2gb forget it. i only have 2gb and for normal tasks under os x its ok, just don't open too many things. if you can 4gb is way better, i'm waiting for the prices to fall to buy more ram

15. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you've got a Micro Center nearby they've got the current base model MacBook Pro MC374LL/A on sale through today July 4, 2010 for $999.99 and it has all the "nice" features you mentioned.

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

At the moment I'm using 1.24GB of RAM having Firefox open on 3 tabs and having tons of little apps like Caffiene and SMC Fan Control running in the backround :rolleyes:

17. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I have a late 09 MB still running on stock of 2GB of ram for 6 months,doing everything you do and more.So your fine.

18. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I bootcamp Windows xp Pro and it runs amazingly fast even with itunes playing and several web pages on Chrome running,and all of them are using flash.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

4GB of DDR3 memory is $85+. Given the installation/labor fee, $100 isn't that off.

To OP, I would get 4GB because it's one of the cheapest upgrades yet yields the greatest performance boost. If you want to do it yourself, you save about <$15 versus the BTO upgrade to 4GB memory. Also, I would heed a previous poster's suggestion to go refurbished. You can get a aluminum MacBook Pro 13" for $1019 w/ SD card slot and FireWire, as well as 4GB of memory.

20. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

i would use the student discount (even if you aren't a student they will give it to you online or instore) and that will cover the RAM upgrade

21. GidbinN macrumors member

GidbinN

Since there are too many replies already, I'm just gonna say:

My 2010 MacBook with 4GB lag sometimes as hell,
    only because I run 9000 applications in the background and it runs two virtual machines at the same time.

So it really depends on how you use your Laptop, if you use it as a desktop, I strongly recommend 4GB~8GB.

If you're not using multiple serious applications (uses uses ram more than 768mb), 2GB is enough, otherwise it lags.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

there you go lol. your amount of swap must be insane :eek:

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah, but 2GB ram is about $50 bucks (right?) so Apple should only charge the difference. It's not like they are installing 4GB ram and giving you the 2GB in the box. With Apple, you are paying more money for the same 4GB and you are also paying for the 2GB stock, except you won't be getting the 2GB.

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

25. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I used to have a Mac Pro that came with 2GB and a MBP that came with 2GB. The only time I had problems was with the MBP. Too many windows open in Safari would make it begin to lag. Sometimes that MBP would just hang and then I would end up hitting the power button. I sold that MBP and got a 15" with 4GB and haven't had it lag on me in three months so far.

The Mac Pro was always fine with 2GB. I used it for all the same things I did with the MBP that had 2GB. I used them both mostly just for internet and watching my iTunes videos.