Can you use apple pay at gas stations?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 212rikanmofo, Oct 25, 2014.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Would be extremely convenient if we can use Apple pay when filling up gas. Is this possible?

2. muggerfugger macrumors regular

muggerfugger

Just as with any other payment method and cards, can use it anywhere as long as the stores have the system to accept it.

So many independent gas stations and chains so there is no one answer.

3. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

not at the pump you can not and who wants to waste time going inside to pay for gas ;)

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

5. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Don't see why not? NFC tags used at the gas pump have been around for nearly a decade here in Canada. But just the whole concern about using your phone while filling gas :p

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

We're talking about the US, which is far behind most of the rest of the world in adopting these technologies.

My guess is that there's simply been insufficient push for it by the card payment industry relative to pushback from merchants who don't want to spend the extra money on new terminals/readers.

That is finally starting to change. Not because of Apple or Apple Pay, the changes had already started, but I do suspect that Apple's implementation of EMV tokenization will help pull adoption in time.

7. 617aircav Suspended

Hmm using a cellphone at a pump is dangerous.

8. uchosen macrumors 6502

Nope. Debunked.

9. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Most Chevrons support it but you have to go inside and tell them how much to fill up.

10. flashy-cat macrumors regular

flashy-cat

Er, no it isn't. There's more chance of a spark from closing the car door!

11. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

I know Chevron / Texaco has plans to deploy ApplePay to its pumps, not just inside the stations.

12. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

Maverick has had Apple Pay support for quite some time (at least a couple years) inside and outside at the gas pump

13. webbga macrumors newbie

webbga

Some of the Marathon Stations around the Cincinnati area have it. Works just like the card except I hold the phone in front of the WIFI symbol instead. Quicker, easier, safer. I don't have to go inside at all or do anything else. I think it will be coming to other stations son. I have noticed more and more places accepting Apple Pay.

14. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

In Australia you can use Apple pay at ANY eftpos terminal that has pay wave, which is almost every single one. All petrol stations have pay wave, it is completely independent of Apple Pay.

15. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

I thought Exxon Mobil used NFC for their original Speed Pass technology.

16. titrau macrumors 6502a

titrau

I never use applepay since last time i go mcdonald buying happy meals for my kid and they said they dont know how to scann it >>

17. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

18. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Meijer gas stations has had it for a long time.

19. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

I know our Esso stations in Canada have NFC at the pumps.

(I'm getting a speed pass though, so I don't have to swipe my points card anymore).

For the cell phones at the pumps not being safe thing:
    1) Myth/urban legend
    2) Use your Apple Watch

20. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

I used to use Exxon Mobile's Speedpass to fill up. Very easy and convenient.

21. ericwn macrumors 65816

While it might be a myth, I remember when I lived in Germany that many gas stations there had warning signs instructing customers to not use their mobile phones, but hat was a couple years ago.

22. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Heh. I think Mythbusters even did a show on it. :)

23. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Here in the UK you can at most if you go inside the shop to pay but I've not seen any pay at the pump terminal accepting contactless yet. I imagine they have been slower to adopt them due to the £30 limit on contactless card payments when most people spend more than that filling up their car. As limitless contactless methods such as Apple Pay become more and more popular hopefully we'll see them starting to get contactless payments.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

Guys, you know you replied to a post I made three years ago, yes? :(

It's quite possible Exxon stations have NFC / Apple Pay -- I stated what I've seen, and I haven't been to an Exxon station in years. There are few of them around here and typically not on my driving routes.

I did see a CircleK/Shell station a few months ago in eastern Alabama with ApplePay capability. That was neat. My typical choice here, QuikTrip, has ApplePay inside but not yet at the pumps. No NFC at either Sams Club or Costco yet.

Oddly enough, the first time I ever had a credit card number stolen was after using my Amex at a gas station in Toronto while on a business trip. Go figure.

25. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Heh....blame @flashy-cat for reviving the thread. :)